Lekky-Man
Topic Author

Does Anyone Have An Opinion On This?

Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:47 am

I was just reading a post on the good old DC-8, and someone had said there is one stored at some museum somewhere (not surprising), and a thought occured to me.
In the future (and for some a/c right now), are we going to be able to fly these great old airplanes for nostalgic reasons even though they might be too noisey or smokey?
We are quite able to fly the old props, noisey as they are, so why not old jets?
It would be absolutely fantastic to see old DC-8's, B.707's, CV-990's, L.1011's, even old B.741/2's being flown by people who love these old timers!!
What do you guys think?

LM

Lekky-Man
Topic Author

RE: Does Anyone Have An Opinion On This?

Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:50 am

Some more I'd like to see too are the Caravelle, Trident, B.720, maybe even a Comet (although Nimrod's are still going I think??).
Oh happy childhood days!!

LM

CV990

Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:36 am

Hi!

I think the complexity of flying these old airlines is so big that I really doubt it! Don't forget that these old jets need much more care than a DC-3 or a DC-4 or even a L1049G Super Constellation, and that I believe is one of the most complex piston airliners that exists.
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

David_itl

Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:01 am

Can't say that the old-timers are more noisy than the current military jets that perform at airshows! Saw my first Connie at the WFD Air Show in 1998...hopefully I'll see another in the air in this part of the world.

David/MAN

757man

Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:26 am

I'd love to see a Trident up and running. I know the preservation society have an 'airworthy' H.S. 121 down at LHR, hopefully it will fly again one day.
Quite often I'll look at Trident photographs on A.net, wishing I could have seen more of them. I became interested in civil aviation at a time when the majority of Tridents were meeting the scrapman. BA could have got a few more years out of the 3B variants - Some of these were scrapped well before they reached 20 years old.

Lekky-Man
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:57 pm

Give me a B.707 to drool over - bliss!!!!