What Happened To Kiwi Airlines

Sat Sep 04, 1999 11:23 pm

When NWA's pilots were on strike. A lot of people thought Kiwi Airlines was going to take over. That was not the case. Anyone know what happened to them?

RE: What Happened To Kiwi Airlines

Sun Sep 05, 1999 4:27 am

I think you have the wrong info John. KIWI could never take over main hub operations for NWA. They operate a relitivley small fleet of 727s. NWA operates a very large fleet of aircraft. Maybe you read that KIWI was bringing in flights to DTW while the strike was going on. An airline like KIWI could never totally take over. I have not heard a word about them for a long time.

I think they were tangled up in a bit of trouble with the FAA. But I may be wrong. Did they ever go out of business?

Jack M

Dazed767

Sun Sep 05, 1999 5:12 am

I thought they went out of business, then came back, and I don't know what happened after that.

CX747

Sun Sep 05, 1999 9:28 am

Kiwi ahh what a great little airline that operated out of EWR which happens to be my base. The last I heard and this was few months ago at the least was that they had righted the ship and were working with the FAA to once again start operations out of Newark to their destination cities. I sure do miss their 727-200s. Nothing looks as good as an old-three holer.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

AirT85

Sun Sep 05, 1999 9:36 am

Hi All,
Well as i heard from AirJet World News Kiwi Airlines shut down after all of its 727s were repossesed by their lessors. also Kiwi only had nine people working for them a month ago and that they never got their liscence back... What a shame. I think its time for "Deregulation Knockouts round 2"

-AirT85
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

CX747

Kiwi Is Dead.

Tue Sep 07, 1999 1:44 am

Speaking of Kiwi, as I drove down the shore yesterday my father was reading the paper. There was an article on Kiwi. They have asked for permission to liquidate everything (which isn't much). They are bankrupt and will not be going back into business. 
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower