w_a_s_p_i_e

Point, Decimal... ATC

Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:52 am

Can someone tell me if American controllers say "point" instead of "decimal". If you refer to CAP413 (by BAA), they state that you must not say "point "when refering to a channel (119.85,135.05...).
Thanks,
Mark

Rick767

RE: Point, Decimal... ATC

Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:13 am

Officially, in the UK at least, pilots must say "decimal" pronounced "dey-see-mal" (I recall the pronunciation spelling from memory of training days long past... may not be correct!).

American pilots tend to say "point" though I'm not sure officially what they are supposed to use in the USA.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Tom in NO

Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:19 am

Most pilots and controllers over here in the US say "one-two-five-point-five", although I do in rare occasions hear "one-two-five-decimal-five", and on some occasions, pilots will simply read back "one-two-five-five" and not say either "point" or "decimal".

As an aside, we have a flight out of here, American 2601, that goes, I believe, to STL. There has been a certain pilot that in the last couple of weeks (he's been here twice that I know of), has been answering as "American twenty-sick-oh-one". Sounds kind of funny on the radio.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Lt-AWACS

Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:02 am

often on the military side we say 'dot' but usually 'decimal' of course you sometimes here 'point' as well, but it is discouraged.

Ciao and Hook 'em,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

ZID

Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:39 am

In the United States the FAA's publication 7110.65 (the US atc rule book) states that you must use "point" when issuing a frequency.

A) Point is succinct, uncluttered and less likely to be confused with some other word, number or phrase.

B) Most facilities in the US are too busy to be using a three syllable word instead of a one syllable word. During a normal session of working traffic at a high altitude sector at Indy Center I save 120 syllables per hour using "point" instead of "decimal".

Believe me, when you're working twenty aircraft at a time with a thousand knot closure rate that extra minute of time to think, plan, implement and react can make all of the difference.
I'm not joking! This is my job!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos