A Cool Southwest Scheme

Mon Sep 06, 1999 10:53 pm

Hi guys-

Yesterday when teh forum was down, I was flipping through airliners.net photos and I saw this 737-200 leased from TEA. Doesn't tea have the Swiss flag on the tail? This would be cooler than what SWA has now:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © AirNikon

And for all of you who think that there could be nothing worse than SWA's current scheme, at least it isn't this:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © AirNikon

Regards
Jack

LH423

RE: A Cool Southwest Scheme

Mon Sep 06, 1999 10:59 pm

I don't like SWA's colours, but I think they work with the name. When you think of the Southwest, you think desert, sand, sun. You don't think blue. I think southwest should scrap their colours completely and come up with something more...fun. Blue just does not work with SWA
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

txagkuwait

Tue Sep 07, 1999 12:14 am

They don't have that plane anymore.

Back 15 or 20 yrs ago, Southwest was leasing some aircraft to give them faster capacity increases...Boeing could not keep pace with the demand Southwest had for new aircraft.

Certain leases were made with the precondition that Southwest not repaint them (except to paint the name someplace).

At one time or another Southwest has flown planes with the paint jobs of Frontier (old version), Aer Lingus, Air Florida, and several others.

They are not changing the paint scheme away from the red, orange, and gold. As much as people gripe about it today, it looked real good in 1971. By the same token...if a paint scheme can be a safety device...this one is. You have to admit their colors are incredibly visible against a blue (sky) backdrop. When one passes overhead with that red belly you know INSTANTLY whose plane it is.

I do not work at Southwest, but here is my guess as to their reasoning: You see airlines start to lose money or passenger traffic, they (and their ad agency) decide a makeover is needed to project a fresh image. Folks must not like the "old" airline so they attempt to become a new one. This seldom works but companies do it anyway.

Since Southwest hasn't lost money since they started earning a profit in '73...and traffic grows by roughly 10 to 15% every year....I suppose they figure it is better to roll their profits into new aircraft and growth rather than aircraft paint. They seem generally content with their own identity.

The whales and the flags are neat paint jobs, however.

Tue Sep 07, 1999 1:39 am

How is the second picture any different from the current paint scheme?

NAL757

Tue Sep 07, 1999 2:54 am

Southwest originally used a "puke" brown before they switched to today's "golden" brown.

Personally, I like their colors. It works for them. I'm a firm believer in that, as long as an airline takes pride in its colors, keeps the finish in good condition and maintains clean aircraft, just about anything can look good. Southwest's bright-red bellies are unmistakable. It would be a grave mistake if WN changed their colors.

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 11, 1999 12:36 pm

The flag you're referring to on the tail of the leased OO-TEM is that of Belgum, and not Switzerland. TEA is headquartered there in Brussels.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Bruce

Sat Sep 11, 1999 1:27 pm

I think SW's colors are appropriate for its image of the "southwest". And their special schemes do a good job of reminding folks of SW's more popular destinations, like Sea World (the whale scheme), their homebase in Texas (Texas flag), etc.
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos