Scan340
Topic Author

Travel Agents Comission On International Tickets

Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:26 am

Do American/Canadian travel agents still get commision for selling international tickets on American carriers? I remember reading an article in the chronicle that said that American carriers stopped paying agents commision for domestic tickets, just wondering if they pay for international?

Thanks,
Nick

timberwolf24

RE: Travel Agents Comission On International Tickets

Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:45 am

No. Most US airlines ended commision on all transactions done by travel agents.
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:43 am

US/Canadian travel agents don't get comissions on travel although international ones do.

I love this little display of how competition is much more badly needed in the states.

searpqx

Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:49 am

Lowfareair, don't quite follow you there. The US air travel market is the most deregulated and competitive one going. Its precisely because of the competition and multiple options a pax has to purchase a ticket that DL (and the other carriers) no longer felt tied to the traditional ticket distribution scheme (that's been in place since the 1930s). Even so, several carriers see an opportunity to perhaps gain a competitive advantage by maintainig comissions to agencies. If that's not competition in action, I don't know what is.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:19 am

Searpqx: It's not that, it's the fact that airlines just follow each other on changes. If one raises fares, they all do. If one lowers comissions, they all do.

BTW: I'm talking about the majors, who have at least several percent marketshare apiece.(Southwest is the exception).