fly_emirates

Curtains Between Cabins

Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:45 am

on Emirates airlines, we dont draw the curtains between the classes i/e between first and business or business and economy during taxi, takeoff, landing and descent, yet, we do draw them after the seat belts sign goes off after reaching the cruising altitude.

now i have been flying on AA - operated by TWA - three weeks ago from BWI to STL, and i have noticed that the curtains were not drawn at all. Is there is a reason for this? or is it a new security measure after september 11?

fly_emirates

RE: Curtains Between Cabins

Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:31 am

i thought

that at least some one knows!

bkkair

Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:34 am

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Apparently the US airlines do not draw the curtains at all, including on long international flights. It is good for the economy passengers because they can now use the First Class toilets!

sunbird

Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:35 am

A new security measure would be my guess to Fly_emirates, but I havent flowen TWA either, or have I flowen since 9/11 not beacouse of that fact, just the oppertunity has come up yet

travelin man

Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:37 am

Bkkair --
That is not true that US airlines do not draw curtains on long int'l flights! I was on LAX-SYD-LAX a few weeks ago in First on United, and they had the curtains drawn both ways (and only the F pax were allowed in the F lavatories!)

bkkair

Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:48 am

Travelin Man- I flew AA J class NRT-SJC last month. Curtains open throughout the plane the whole flight. Maybe UA has a different policy that they closed the curtains to SYD.

But probably wouldn't matter much if they left them open because F class on UA 744 is separated from J class by the galley and door 1.

By the way Travelin Man, how was your UA F class to SYD and back?

travelin man

Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:56 am

I loved it. Honestly the service, the food, and of course the seat were all wonderful. Despite what some people on this site claim, United Trans-Pacific First Class ain't too shabby! (The flight attendants were some of the best I've had on any flight I've been on).

You're correct about the Galley between C and F on the 744, but it was still nice the curtains were closed, because the galley tends to be very noisy and bright (not good when you are trying to sleep!).

neednewairport

Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:00 am

No offense to anyone here of course, but I think they need to close the curtains again, it is very annoying to have a line at my bathroom at the front of the plane. You paid for coach, stay back there.

bkkair

Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:08 am

Does anyone know what El Al's policy is on curtains?

As the world's leading expert on what works and what doesn't it would be interesting to know what their "curtain" policy is now and has been in the past.

fly_emirates

Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:33 pm

i agree with the toilet usage thing!

roguetrader

Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:46 pm

Henry Kissinger restated the whole toilet thing this way:

"The only reason to sit in the back of the plane is because you either have diarrhea or want to meet people who do."

Southern Airlines (eventually became part of NW) used to have a great commercial in the 1970s involving the curtain...

It would start with a view of first class, and everyone would be laughing, drinking fine wine, eating cheese and having something of an airborne party. Then, the East German Female Olympic team member-esque f/a would open the curtain and walk into coach. People would be like chained up to the walls and it looked like a medieval torture chamber, she would then start barking orders at the poor slobs. It was funny.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

fly_emirates

Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:09 am

i found the answer by my self when i met an American Airlines flight attendant online. and i wanted to inform you folks here... and thank you for the help

She told me that this is hapening after sept 11, and as an FAA regultaion. but if it really was an FAA regulation, then why does United still draw them?