Parts Of IB 747 Fuselage Fell Off In Dec.2001

Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:00 am

Iberia probes why piece fell off 747 in Dec.

MADRID, Spain, April 11 (Reuters) - Spanish airline Iberia (IBLA.MC) on Thursday said it was investigating why a piece of fuselage broke off a Boeing 747 plane four hours into a flight between Madrid, Spain, and Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Spanish pilots' union Sepla said in a statement that the incident took place on the plane's first flight after having undergone an inspection in Beijing.

A spokeswoman for Spain's dominant airline confirmed the event, which took place on Dec. 5, 2001. ``The incident did take place and an investigation is being carried out,'' she said.

A sheet measuring one meter by 40 centimeters (15.75 inches) fell off but did not damage the plane's engines or the tail rudder and the flight continued on to the Argentine capital without further incidents, Sepla said.

Iberia in February said it needed to replace eight 747s now in service on its long-range routes -- predominantly between Spain and Latin America.

----------------------------------------------
I guess this will make Iberia decide to retire 742s as soon as possible?

airplanetire

RE: Parts Of IB 747 Fuselage Fell Off In Dec.2001

Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:11 am

Maybe. Would the plane depressurize if that happened, or is the skin not what keeps a plane pressurized? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to those things.

roguetrader

Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:19 am

Did the pilots know something had broken off? This sounds like emergency landing on Ascension Island time to me. If there was a hole in the fuselage, I think this is a major risk factor for creating an even bigger hole that could really cause problems. Problems as in - passengers exiting the plane involuntarily and not via designated exits.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

Gregg

Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:26 am

What part of the fueslage fell off? A piece of skin over the wing? A 40 cm piece of wing skin most likely would not cause any problems in flight.

I guess the author of the news article was not thinking clearly... As the inspection was done at Bejiing, and the piece fell off on the first flight after inspection, and that was from Madrid to Buenos Aires. Hard for a B747 to get from Bejiing to Madrid without flying.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos