Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wolfy
Topic Author

Air Canada Has Hired 250 Ex-C3's Flight Attendants

Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:06 pm

For those who might be interested in this information...

Regards,

Wolfy

CX829

RE: Air Canada Has Hired 250 Ex-C3's Flight Attendants

Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:37 pm

I thought AC turned all of them (ex-C3 FAs) away and said they didn't have any French. I've heard that these guys are planning to sue AC for discrimination based on languages.

wolfy
Topic Author

FA

Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:07 pm

This is what I have just been told this morning, most of them will be based in YYZ. Well, before this year, AC always gave the option of having either Eng or French PLUS another route language. They just changed it this year, Iguess maybe they are lack of French speak crews.

yyz717

Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:34 pm

Well, good for AC and the former C3 staff.

English-only FA's are fine since the majority of Canadians and Americans (AC's primary customers) are English-only and so the FA-base will more accurately reflect the customer base.

This is not an anti-French view.....just pro-English. There is a big difference.

airman99o

Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:26 pm

Air Canada has hired these flight attendants on a 7 month contract. They were only going to be looked at if they had French and English. Air Canada had been calling the ones that we hired at SkyService to see if they wanted to go work for them. This has been going on for the past month. Alot of the Ex C3 flight attendants here at SSV have been talking about it for a while now.

Airman99o

wolfy
Topic Author

Airman99o

Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:08 am

Hello, do you mind telling me when did you get this information from? 7 Months contract? Ithought they were hired temporarily and cannot work more than 6 months, otherwise they would be considered full time?

Thx!

Regards,

Wolfy

captaingomes

Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:09 am

The ex-C3 f/a's who didn't get hired because they don't speak French are thinking of suing???

Wow, they really must have nothing else to do. Regardless of whether Air Canada wants to hire bilingual staff or not (it's their choice) these people are showing lack of class by wanting to sue for discrimination because of the bilingual requirement.

Congratulations to the 250 qualified ex-C3 flight attendants who got hired though! Let us hope that Air Canada will need you after the 7 month temporary positions. Things are finally starting to look alright for Canada's number one carrier.

airman99o

Wolfy

Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:42 am

Hey there Wolfy,
I have heard that word of mouth from SSV ( Ex C3 ) Flight Attendants that have recieved a phone call from Air Canada and have attended interviews. Ya I also found that a 7 month Contract was a bit of a strange number. Normally after 6 months consecutive flying you are considered Full time. Must be Different at AC??

Airman99o

rootsgirl

Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:04 am

Please do not even get me going about Air Canada's high demand for French. I do not speak french, yet I AM CANADIAN! - I think that qualifies me for a position, after all I can represent my country - Canada.
Canada is a multicultural country and not everyone speaks French.

How many native Canadians do you see working for Air Canada? They are Canadian too, are they not?

And then there is a dear friend of mine, born in Paris, went to University in Paris, speaks perfect Parisian French and flew for Canadian Airlines - ex CP Air for 20 years. His # 1 route language, apart from Spanish and Japanese is French. Guess what? When Canadian became part of Air Canada my friend was re-tested by Air Canada and told by a person who spoke poor Quebecois french that he would be removed off of the French qualified list because his French is not up to par.
Well that is up for review with the union right now.

But, I think Air Canada should have given the ex-c3ers a chance. Maybe their French was not perfect but don't their years of experience as a flight attendant count for anything?

Air Canada rarely opens up f/a positions to unilingual - that in itself is discrimination

captaingomes

Sat Apr 13, 2002 7:44 am

Oh boy, I find myself in a very precarious position right now in slightly disagreeing with what Rootsgirl and Yyz717 have to say. These are two characters you do not want to disagree with!!!!  Smile

rootsgirl

Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:07 am

That's O.K. Nuno, you can always disagree, it's the way some people disagree that gets me going - like name calling and slagging. That's not cool. And yes, I have been known to throw the mud with some of the best of em' ie: the infamous flight attendant hater: Greg, but as I said, it's the way he says things. So go ahead disagree, it's your right to.

yyz717

Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:06 am

Ahhh Nuno.....I don't recall ever arguing with you! We think too much alike.  Big grin

Rootsgirl, I agree with you COMPLETELY. 70% of Canadians speak only English yet are barred from being FA's at AC.....this is discrimination on a MASSIVE scale.

Not to mention the resulting AC FA work force is less multi-cultural (few visible minorities AND anglo saxons) and disproportionally pur laine Quebecois, which does not reflect the customer base. The FA work force SHOULD reflect the customer base......which is overwhelmingly English-only.

For this viewpoint.....I was called a racist on this forum last week. Incredible.

rootsgirl

Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:19 am

Yyz 717, guess I better get in the same line as you because you are totally correct.

It is disgraceful that our "national" airline is so pro-French, but then again so is our government.

I am not anti French - just in favor of equality. Why should a person from any other province than Quebec have to speak Franch in order to work as a flight attendant for Air Canada? Why should they all have to speak French? One French qualified per flight should be more than enough; unless the flight originates out of Montreal or is going to Paris.

But, I ask myself why my tax dollar goes to bi-lingual road signs in Ontario when they are soley in French in Quebec. If that's Canadian equality then I don't want any part of it.

You are not a racisct, simply a realist!

artsyman

Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:23 am

This language speaker thing has come up many many times, Often the argument is that the person says, I am Canadian, I live in Canada, and while I don't speak French, I can speak English so I shouldnt be discriminated from. Well at CO, the same argument comes up all the time, This is America, Continental is an American carrier, so why should we have French speakers !!... well, there are a lot of French people on the Paris flights, that is why.

Do you go for a job as a language translator, and when you don't get the job because you only speak english, do you complain about discrimination ?

Do you go for the job of head of a law firm when you have no legal background or training ?, is it discrimination ?

No it isnt, at the moment, Air Canada wants bilingual flight attendants, maybe it supports a PR campaign that they have of having Bilinguial speakers. I know at Continental, if Gordon had his way, all the flight attendants flying to countries of foreign language, would be speakers of English and also of the foreign language destination

as it stands, there are currently 5 speakers per 12 flight attendants on the IAH>CDG route

Jer

yyz717

Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:29 am

I totally agree Rootsgirl!

There are people on this forum who will consider us racists for being realists though! Being pro-English does not mean being anti-French.

As AC flies more US routes, and as the US Spanish-speakers continue to grow in number, I can see the day in 10 or 20 years when Spanish will be a more 'utile' language for AC employees than French. There are already more Spanish speakers than French speakers in both YYZ and YVR. This will only continue.

Bienvenido a YYZ!

dripstick

Sat Apr 13, 2002 11:15 am

Ah yes, Rootsgirl and Greg...

I remember that lovefest so well.

And we did discuss this language thingy before...

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/773574/

lymanm

Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:54 pm

Once again, I remind you that AC is federally mandated to be completely billingual. AC is our flag carrier, and we are an 'officially billingual' country, racist policy or not. It is not a new AC policy to hire billingual, it's in fact quite old.

As for those 250 former C3 FAs...Not all of the 250 are from C3. Many of them are, but I would venture to guess that only the billingual ones were hired. The rest are the ones that made it through the screening process. Additionally, I'm told that it was 200 and that it is a 6 month contrac, not 7.

flyyul

Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:09 pm

Being bilingual is a good thing, and could do no harm to AC.... everybody has their standards, but if AC says they want bilingual, then tough sh*t.

Mark

yyz717

Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:11 pm

Tough shit eh?

70% of Canadians are ineligible to apply for FA jobs at AC because they only speak English.

How much revenue would AC lose if it lost its English-only customers? 80%? 90%? 95%?

Perhaps English-speaking Canadians should take their business elsewhere. That would teach French-centric AC a lesson or two.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos