Dufo
Topic Author

My KLG-FRA-DFW-FRA-LJU Trip

Wed Sep 08, 1999 3:51 am

Hi folks!

I just got back from my Klagenfurt-FRA-DFW-FRA-LJU trip. Here is a long report about this:
At first, I boarded onto Tyrolean Airways (regional Austrian airline) Dash8-300 for flight from Klagenfurt to FRA. It was my first time on a Dash8 and second time on a turbo-prop. Everything was perfect, kick-in-the-back was great and after breakfast about 40 minutes into the flight I asked the flight attendant if she can ask the captain if I can visit the flight deck. She asked him and he gave me the 'OK' signal from the cockpit. When I got into the cockpit, he showed me where the jumpseat is (if you have ever seen Dash8's cockpit, you probably have an idea where the jumpseat is   and I also got my own headphones. I was asked to lock the door (!) and turn on the headphones (live ATC). I was really amazed by how kind the pilots were (they were two 25-30 years old jacks). This was the place where I have spent next 50 minutes of flight and approach to Frankfurt. That was really something. After that I boarded on Lufthansa A340-300 for flight to DFW. Everything was great, the plane was about 60% full so I got probably the best seat on the A340 (46K). The seat next to mine was used as a photo equipment 'table'  . I was surprised that the takeoff roll took 1 minute and 15 seconds (!) and climb to 37000ft took about 55 minutes (is this normal for a plane that's about 60% full and needs to make a 5200miles flight?). Weather was great all the I could see the land above us very clearly. On approach to DFW the pilot maneuvred the plane very nicely between LARGE thunderstorm clouds. Touchdown was average (medium-hard, without bouncing) and as Seiple (I think it was him) told me, DFW is an AA Md-80 fortress hub. After we taxiied over the highway (hehe, what a view!) and docked on the gate, half of my trip was over. On the way back the plane was about 70% full and I got a seat 41K (also a very good place to take photos!). It took us about 30 minutes to depart because of about 15 MD-80's in the queue. It was a lovely, peacefully flight just until somewhere above St. Jonh's (New Foundland, at about 1:00AM local time) when the plane was suddenly shaken by a SEVERE turbulence. To me this was a great add-on to a peaceful flight, but most of the Hindus (there were about 20 of them on board) started to pray (for their lives?  . However, this lasted only for about 15 minutes and after that I noticed something I've never seen before: it was a complete darkness and when I looked into the engine (from the back), I could see a very bright blue/white flame burning inside it! I've never seen an actual flame on turbo-fan engines before. The flight from than on was smooth until near-miss over France, where we crossed a path of another aircraft (I saw that plane and I think it was a B737, but can a B737 cruise at 39,000ft? It was really scary, even for me. Touchdown at FRA (25L) was for me the smoothest one so far. Veeeeeeeryy smooth... (lots of grease  . Eveything else from that on (FRA-LJU in an Adria Airways A320) was not-worth-to-mention... except wonderful kick in the back on takeoff (wonderful for A320, not to compare it with a Dc9-30  . That's all. Pretty long though.

Jernej
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

CX747

RE: My KLG-FRA-DFW-FRA-LJU Trip

Wed Sep 08, 1999 6:17 am

DFW certainly is a MD-80 fortress. In the coming years thought the 737NG will take over that reign. Thanks for the great narraration of your trip. I love these kind of posts.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

cedarjet

RE: My KLG-FRA-DFW-FRA-LJU Trip

Wed Sep 08, 1999 8:31 am

I love the 'narration of a flight' ones too. Great post.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos