jbmitt

Airtran And ATA

Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:12 am

My dad being "the aviation expert" that he is, insists that Airtran and ATA are synonymous for each other ie. the same airline. I'm nearly 100% certain that they are two seperate airlines, not affiliated with each other. I tried to tell him that ATA is mainly a business/charter airline out of MDW & IND flying 727's, L-1011's, 753's, and 738's. While Airtran is the low cost operator out of ATL flying DC-9's and 717's. Who is correct? Can somebody prove my point to my dad.

Jason

usairways85

RE: Airtran And ATA

Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:19 am

you are 100% correct, they are 2 separate airlines

yyz717

Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:22 am

Until ATA rebranded itself as ATA, its nick was 'Amtran', which sounds alot like Air Tran.

Many folks still call ATA Amtran, which also sounds like Amtrak!

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

mls515

Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:23 am

Get ahold of annual reports for the two different airlines.

Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:38 am

Show him the fact that they have two different ticker symbols on the stock exchange:

ATA=AMTR
AirTran=AAI

neilalp

Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:40 am

In the schedule sense, ATA does lots of charters as well as scheduled air. Where AirTran does on schedule service i think. They are 2 different airlines.

Fly_ATA

Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:13 am

These are two different airlines. airTran used to be Valuejet which then purchased a small airline in MCO called "airTran" and and took that name.

ATA also know as American Trans Air is not affliliated with any other airline except its commuter Chicago express ( ATA connection)

ATA was never called "amtran" ,Amtran is the holding company and ticker symbol for ATA and it's subsidaries.it is also its callsign.

Both ATA and airtran are damn fine carriers I might add.

wilcharl

Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:54 pm

back when i was with airtran ATA was one of the many rumors for potential rumors that floated around, but this one i heard from FL and ATA people...

elwood64151

Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:37 am

They are different carriers and have different liveries. Their websites also show their different histories.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm - Orlando/Tampa Aviation Photography

AirTran is based out of ATL with headquarters in Orlando, FL. It began service as ValuJet in (I forget the exact date) 1992 or 1993.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael Arcellana

American Trans Air is based out of IND and MDW with headquarters in Indianapolis, IN. It began charter service in 1973. Scheduled passenger service began in 1986.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

travatl

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:12 am

Your father is not the only one who makes that mistake. In cities where both carriers operate, especially in cities where the ticket counters and/or gates are near one another....people are CONSTANTLY getting in the wrong lines. MSP is the funniest....lined up together are:

American Airlines
America West Airlines
American Trans Air
AirTran Airways

The look of stark confusion as people approach these four counters is quite amusing.

Travis

Fly_ATA

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:46 am

Same thing in MCO. Counters are not together but on same side of airport. Then you have the customeras who call ATA "ATT" LOL!

CcrlR

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:58 am

When ATA has a flight they use Amtran as it's callsign. I heard it when I was on a UA flight listening to the ATC.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos