cedarjet

Hijacked To A Hostile Country

Thu Sep 09, 1999 2:59 am

I was reminded of this after the "best crash sequence" thread which mentions a film called "White Nights", where a 747 has an electrical fire over the Soviet Union and has to make a crash landing. If a western airliner got into trouble and had to land somewhere like mid-Cold War USSR, I don't think there would have been a problem. There have been a few cases of planes being hijacked to so-called enemy countries, an Iran Airtours 707 was hijacked to Tel Aviv a few years ago - I must say that when the destination was revealed to the passengers (all Iranian) there must have been some brown trousers. In fact the Israelis treated them with great hospitality and they were flown straight home (except for two who took their chance and emigrated to the US). That TWA 727 that was hijacked by Amal to Beirut in 85 was slightly more problematic, given that the hostages were taken to the Beirut suburbs and held for a week or two, but again, I understand that they were well-treated and were taken most evenings to the Summerlands Hotel for dinner, one of the most luxurious in the eastern Med (what a bizarre sight anywhere else in the world, a bunch of westerners being marched at gunpoint into the hotel's posh dining room in full view of the western press corps staying there, then back to their basement). The passengers on the Korean Air 707 that was shot down by the Soviets and crashed on a frozen lake were released pretty much immediately, weren't they? My point being, has there ever been a case where airline passengers have been hijacked (or though other circumstances deposited) to a dangerous or hostile location and run into difficulty (not counting the US Navy diver who was shot in the TWA hijacking for being part of the same military that had bombed the hijacker's home town only months previously)?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

JZ

RE: Hijacked To A Hostile Country

Thu Sep 09, 1999 3:53 am

As far as I know, there was no incident that the passengers were mis-treated.

kaitak

RE: White Nights

Thu Sep 09, 1999 4:14 am

The aircraft featured in that film - during the inflight sequence - was an Aer Lingus 747, EI-ASJ. I can remember going down to Shannon on a school trip in early 1985 and you could still see the "British Orient" titles under the Aer Lingus livery!
However, when you saw the aircraft "crashed", what you actually saw - at a place called Macarahinish in Scotland - was a 707-344. It was a very convincing shot, but if you look carefully, you will of course see the 707 type flaps.

OK, nothing to do with hijackings in general, but I thought it might be interesting!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos