SJCguy
Topic Author

Airline Employees: Type Of Flight Benefits You Get

Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:42 pm

What kind of benefits does your airline give for travel? Southwest has free unlimited flights. Let's here em!

SJCguy

eta unknown

RE: Airline Employees: Type Of Flight Benefits You Get

Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:59 pm

Not really a benefit when you're sublaod and get stranded!

I know of one person who walked out of a Northwest interview when told the salary. The interviewer tried to reassure the applicant (if she had accepted the position, it would have meant a significant salary cut) that she was also entitled to $10,000 worth of free air travel, which was met with a "so what" response.

I can only speak from international carrier experience, and let me tell you, some are a lot more generous than others!

tt737fo

Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:00 pm

Most airlines require employees to sign disclaimers--e.g. stating discussion of benefits to be taboo subjects of conversation.

But if you read trip reports from ILUV767 and others, its pretty easy to figure out.

SEA nw DC10

Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:09 pm

TT737FO...never heard of that. Keeping it taboo while flying that you are flying for free yes, but signing a disclaimer...don't think so.

NWA we fly free unlimited.

SEAnwDC10

Dalmd88

Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:45 pm

DL is unlimited North America, and 18 overseas flight days. Standby priority is by DOE.

boeing764

Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:26 am

At Air Canada we get unlimited stand-by travel. We are charged a service charge that comes off our pay check. The service charges are about $25 for a domestic round trip and $60 International. Sounds good untill you add the 7% GST, $24 Security Tax and the Airport Improvement Fees.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jason Taperell

From Dr. King's America to Nelson Mandela's Africa, the journey of equality moves on.

bobnwa

Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:40 am

TT737FO,
I do not know of any carrier that requires a non-disclosure signing. Which carriers are you referring to?

ual777contrail

Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:25 am

AT united we have the world at our finger tips.

we get free travel, we deserve it with all the whiny people you deal with in a day.

that is what keeps you comin back day in and day out, never heard of the disclaimer you have to sign.

ual 777 contrail

blink182

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:31 am

Just out of curiosity, when on duty(Pilots&FA's) do you all have to pay the airport improvement fees, or is it taken care of by your airline?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

UAL Bagsmasher

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:47 am

In my 2.5 yrs with UA, I've been on more than 170 flights. Why not take advantage of the bennies? Laugh out loud

tt737fo

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:52 am

The one in particular was my former employer: M_ _ _ _ _ T E _ _ _ _ _ S. Before being entitled to buddy passes/write-your-owns, you signed. And the rules state very clearly--no discussion of benefits. My employer, which has me on furlough doesn't go to such lengths. However...

On this board there are children of employees who disclose numerous operational workings of how they listed and what they did to get a first class seat on a joy ride across the country.

One child in particular gave flight numbers and disclosed a blatant violation of the operations while visiting mommy who was a flight attendant.

Just passing on a cautionary note....Airline HRs aren't really busy and they read this board every now and again.

lasbagman

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:55 am

I Very rarely use my flight bennies, having a house payment, 2 cars, a kid in private school , We really dont travel.
I use my bennies LAS to LAX but as far as a long trip, i really dont want to get stranded anywhere and have to incur more expenses i don't need.

Now When I was single , I went EVERYWHERE as I only had myself to worry about.
The flight bennies are good, but you cant live on a plane.

Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:04 am

Continental employees have free upgrades before elites do!

UAL Bagsmasher

RE: Lasbagman

Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:05 am

..."You can't live on a plane.." LOL...I beg to differ Big grin I fly to get fed on my days off. I find a flight that has F or C open with a meal, and I go. I usually ride the same plane right back and get fed again Laugh out loud

tt737fo

Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:30 am

that's why we're called "Meal moochers"

UALPHLCS

Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:43 am

Free unlimited travel, on UA. Except International F class, where a service fee is charged. This extends to Employee, Spouse, Parents of employee, Children under 22 of employee, Domestic Partner of employee ( not that there's anthing wrong with that). 24 buddy-passes are given each year, and these there is a charge for.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

MSYtristar

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:30 pm

With Vanguard:

* Free unlimited standby travel on Vanguard for myself, my parents, and a travel partner of my choosing.

* Buddy passes and vacation passes issued several times a year.

* Corporate agreements allow for highly discounted travel(just pay the taxes in most cases) on airlines such as Delta, Frontier, ATA, Midwest Express, Jet Blue, Air Tran, America West, National, Southwest, and some others.

Here in MSY, we have station agreements with:
Air Tran, Taca, Midwest Express, Frontier, Jet Blue, Northwest, Southwest, America West, US Airways, US Airways Express. We can fly on those airlines for free.

God I love the airline industry!!!  Smile

nwa man

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:31 pm

TT737FO-
I've heard of the same thing with another Midwestern-based U.S. airline, N-------T. Talking about flight benefits, especially while at an airport or in an airplane, is definitely taboo. Although I don't believe you have to sign a waiver, it is your responsibility to not brag about all the free trips or other benefits (I'm staying silent on this one) that airline employees receive.

NW-Elite, if that's true about CO employees being allowed to upgrade before elites, that's simply outrageous.

NWA Man
Create your own luck.

Prinair

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:32 pm

Continental employees do not get upgraded before elites.

HP employees get free unlimited systemwide passes plus...
10 Buddy - flexi passes every quarter.
$25.00 o.w. passes with Continental, Southwest and coming soon JetBlue.

The standard ID90/ID75/Zfares for all other carriers.
PRINAIR : Puerto Rico International Airlines

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:35 pm

Prinair and NWA Man: I know CO employees can't get upgraded before elites but it happened to me twice.

fly_emirates

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:37 pm

on Emirates, you get 95% discount on your whole tickets when traveling, you in addition to your family and relatives. but the irritating part is that you have to be on stand by  Sad

TG992

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:41 pm

Whether or not your airline requires you to sign a non-disclosure, to broadcast to the world what benefits you get lacks class.
-

docpepz

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:50 pm

When my mum used to work in Singapore Airlines, there were a set of ten rules posted at the staff travel counter. I know rule no.1 was "Your travel is a privilege and not a right" Other rules inculde not disclosing to other passengers that you're a staff member because it'll make them feel bad that they'd paid obscene amounts of money to take First Class while you just walked in with your family of five free of charge. Also, you'd have to dress well (shirt and pants, at the very least) or risk being thrown to Y class.

On a CHC-SIN flight in 1998 on a SIA 747-400, there wer 16 seats on First Class. 15 were staff and their families(kids ranged from 8 to 13 years old, with me being 17 then I think), and there was only 1 paying passenger. Even though the kids were well behaved and all that, it did look strange that there were so many kids in First Class!

Staff whose children are below seven are also not entitled to First or J class.

nonrevman

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:37 pm

You can't live on a plane.." LOL...I beg to differ I fly to get fed on my days off. I find a flight that has F or C open with a meal, and I go. I usually ride the same plane right back and get fed again

This works even better if you can get on a flight with a good movie. If you are really looking for a cheap day trip on your day off, I would suggest DCA.

You can catch a morning flight there and get fed if you are put in first class. Then, you can ride the Metro right out of the airport for $2.20 roundtrip and see most of the sights for free (your tax dollars already paid for the Smithsonian admission). Afterwards, maybe you can catch the dinner flight home. If you play it just right, this trip could be cheaper than going to a movie in your own home town. This is where the flight benefits really come in handy.

lutfi

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:58 pm

US airlines are much more generous than the rest of the world.

My airline - ID90
Only one trip in F a year allowed on ID
Unlimited in J and Y
One free EY trip a year (but firm)

Children under 16 not allowed in F or J class on ID travel.

FLY777UAL

Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:10 pm

TT737FO...now who would you be referring to in your post about flying, "with mommy"?

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

KLM-MD11

Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:23 pm

Dear Ual777contrail,

I quote your remark:

'we get free travel, we deserve it with all the whiny people you deal with in a day.'

My remark: you don't "deserve" anything, you just do your job and get paid for it. If you don't like all these "whiny people" go get another job. Seems to me you got that job just for the benefits of it. So stop whining. You don't seem to realize how lucky you are to even have a job, especially after 9/11. You think maybe people who work in supermarkets and also deal with whiny people get to take their groceries home for free??

get real.

KLM-MD11
GELUK IS GELUL MET EEN K

AWspicious

Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:53 pm

Wow..... KLM-MD11; For a new member you sure don't pull any punches! Good observation, though.
I know of so many people who work for various companies and they get squat in the way of fringe benifits. Many of them have to put up with a lot from the general public, too.
I think folks who work for the aviation industry are a very fortunate bunch. VERY fortunate!

aw
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

KLM-MD11

Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:13 pm

Thanks, Awspicious, I thought I was alone there...

Some just seem to forget that PAYING customers such as myself actualy provide their paychecks, and with that their free trips....etc. etc.

If we ALL would just stick to the following:
'Treat someone the way you would like to be treated yourself' , there wouldn't be so much wyning...

KLM-MD11
GELUK IS GELUL MET EEN K

AMSMAN

Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:59 pm

Well said KLM-MD11 - Your not alone here! He wont be doing much wyning when he hasnt got a job!!!
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

Britair

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:55 pm

Woah, KLM-MD11, that seemed a bit harsh!

Sure we are very fortunate to work in the airline game, but it isnt always the dream job it's made out to be. Wages are low, pressures are high, and the constant cycles of boom and bust in this industry take their toll. What keeps us there then? Well, it is definately the love of the game but for most people it is the travel benefits. Sorry if that offends you. I'm sure the majority of airline employees would say the same. I know I do. So UAL777Contrail, I agree with you. Actually I'm jealous, I wish BA had as generous a staff travel package!!  Smile

Cheers

Smile

UALfa@jfk

RE: Airline Employees: Type Of Flight Benefits You

Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:56 pm

The flight bennies and hotel/rent-a-car discounts are nice, however, keep in mind that, at least concerning flight attendants, most of us value the amount of time off more than the free travel. With as much as 16-21 days off an month, you can count me as one of them. On one particular website for UA flight attendants, they conducted a poll and found that amongst us, 77% feel that the "most important" perk is simply the time off.

That aside, oddly, I know several fellow FAs that actually do not take full advantage of the travel perks this job offers. They may go on one or two pleasure flights a year to Miami or Aruba and that's it. I'm only a little better than that. I usually try to manage at least one far-flung exotic destination a year, with occasional domestic and London hops here and there.

This month, I had from April 2 all the way to May 3 on vacation. Yet, there's really no place in the world I'm itching to travel to this time (there are several places I'd ordinarily would want to go, but I'm simply to lazy to do that HORRIBLY unpredictable standby routine on UA and other carriers).

So what did I decide to do during all this time off? --fly (standby) oneway to LAX, spend the night and return eastbound taking Amtrak cross country for $118 (I could've purchased it for far less than that, but that's another story).

Anyway, travelling standby on the airlines is often a very stressful affair. I oftentimes am VERY tempted to just purchase some cheap internet fare where I KNOW I'll get a confirmed seat. (I've NEVER actually really resorted to this yet, but I'm sure I will).

The Coachman

Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:44 pm

QF has 10% of full fare for standbys, 50% for confirmed.

First Class is limited, there is an extra charge. Business - employee must be of a certain rank.
M88, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73G, 73H, 742, 743, 744, 752, 762, 763, 772, 773, 77W, 320, 332, 333, 345, 388, DH8, SF3 - want

swissgabe

Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:55 pm

Only SQ has been metioned out of the Asian Airlines.

With MH you got one Firm Free Ticket with 5 possible Segments (ie. LAX-KUL-EZE-CPT-KUL-LAX). This was very nice. All other flights have to be done by ID75! Now since I'm working nomore for MH I get ID90!!
I think SQ staff also get only ID75 on their own flights (all MH domestic flights ID50).
NO upgrades for staff by crew. On its network only the Chairmen it self can grant upgrades. They are very strickt in that.

I heard that with JAL you got also a free ticket, but only a oneway. Thats fun...

With the airline I'm working now you get one ID00 stand-by and everything else has to be ID90 stand-by.

There are cases you better pay a few bucks more for a Greymarket, are FIRM and you get mileage. Especially if the flight is very full.

Any others? Ig. TG, CX, EK etc?
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

kaitakfan

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:58 pm

KLM-MD11, I respect your point of view regarding how airline employee's should be greatful for what they have. However, that doesnt mean that the job is difficult on them. My mom works customer service with United for the past 14 years. Sure the travel that my family gets is great and it may seem well worth the stress my mom goes through. But really her job is not as easy as you, the paying customer may think. You dont know what its really like to deal with canceled oversold flights with 300 people, with another oversold flight being delayed by weather in SFO and 30 people missing their connections to Hong Kong and Tokyo, all bitching to the employee's and wanting a solution right then and there. No big deal still? You could take care of the situation with no sweat and not get a bit of stress? I dont think a response to this would be "get another job". It doesnt work that way. Airline employee's deal with alot of crap that you have no idea of. So I would hope you be a bit more understanding of what the average employee at the airline you fly goes through on a daily basis. To compare them to an employee at a supermarket is no where near a valid comparison!

UALPHLCS

Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:17 am

I have to agree w/ you UALfa@jfk. I love to fly, I love to be near the airplanes. But unless I'm going someplace of a little vacation, I don't want to be near the airport. I'll do anything else but be near those whiny people.  Wink/being sarcastic

Seriously I don't think airlines could get people in the door for the money they pay us, without offering travel benefits. KLM-MD11 we do deserve those benefits, its part of our pay package.

Speaking only for myself I do treat others as I'd like to be treated. I cringe at poor or incomplete service when I see it. But I have been treated by customers like a machine sometimes too. Ther general public has lost its respect for people who do customer service. From the bank teller or the Movie box office or the Airline agents, I've seen more customers treat these people badly and get away with it, than I've seen bad service. So get off your self righteous rant.

srbmod

Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:40 am

The Delta flight benefits as apply to employees of Delta Express, ASA, and Comair.

AirTran's flight benefits are unlimited travel for employee, parents, and designated travel partner. Upgrades to Business Class can be had by asking the gate agent or flight attendant. I actually got upgraded once by the Captain of the flight I was on. He saw my id badge, and had one of the flight attendants come back into coach to retrieve me. Employees also get 6 buddy passes a year.

ILS.25L

Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:40 am

To what concerns buddy passes : can they be bought from airline staff by people who love to travel and who are not working in the airline industry or who are not relatives ?
Any cheap way to see the world, is a good way !
Regards, Karl

FutureFO

Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:55 am

With ACA we get unlimited free travel on UA/UAX, only pay for UA F international. We also get US$30 o/w, US$60 r/t on DL. 24 companion passes a year for use on UA/UAX and regular ACA. All flight benefits except for the DL passes are good for everyone on your travel card.
I Don't know where I am anymore

UALPHLCS

Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:28 pm

Selling your buddy passes are a quick way to lose your job. But nothing stops you from collecting the money the airline takes from your paycheck.

miami1

Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:30 pm

Hi.
At Qantas we get unlimited domestic and International travel. At about a 90% off rate. Classified as QEA for employess and thier nominated travel companion who you can only change once a year. Our Parents get a QEB fare which is double what we pay. Qantas just changed upgrade rules after 7 years of employment we can buy upgradeable J class subject to availability. We get two free J class tickets after 10yrs service for yourself and one nominated person. Our fares are based on sectors you fly so if you want to go from say Sydney to London you pay Sydney - Singapore and then Singapre to London. its not the cheapest cant remember exactly but around 500 australian dollars return with tax. We are onloaded subject to years of service. but we have regular travel embargoes so its almost impossible to get to europe. its often cheaper for us to travel on interline carriers. (preferable anyway). We are not allowed to fly first class at all. Except Management and Captains (go figure)

JC5280

Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:23 pm

UALPHLCS and ual777contrail....

I know, I cant stand being around those whiny people all day either. It just drives me crazy! All we hear about all day is how everything goes wrong for them and United treats them like crap. It gets old after a while.

The customers can be whiny at times too, but usually only on the bad weather days.

Smile

ogseminole

Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:04 am

UALfa@JFK
Could not agree more with your post.
Too much stress to non-rev for vacation especially when travelling with others.
Much easier to buy a cheap ticket and know exactly when and where you are going to end up.
Airline benefits are WAY over-rated.

planelover

Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:33 am

I just had an interview with ASA. The station manager said I would have unlimited free flights any where that Delta and ASA fly. Is this as "free" and "unlimited" as it sounds? Do I get any deals for friends? What are the regulations about international travel?
Thanks
PL

ual777contrail

Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:38 am

KLM-MD11
you are the reason i do fly for free, i would be willing to bet that you are one of the guys who whines whenever you get a middle seat or the flight is delyaed 5 minutes and you want to know if you'll still make your connection.

let me quote you " treat someone the way you want to be treated" when in my post did i say i didnt treat them well? do you think that i would say, your a whiner to their face? it is the summer traveler like yourself who thinks your $250.00 dollar ticket should get you the red carpet.

klm-md11
think before you write, and i still stand true to what i said before.
WE DESERVE TO FLY FOR FREE, WITH ALL THE WHINY PEOPLE WE DEAL WITH IN A DAY.

oh and KLM-MD11, Thanks for flying united  Big grin

2cn

Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:27 pm

Planelover-yes, it is. You get unlimited domestic travel days, 6 priority domestic travel days, 18 free transoceanic allotment passes (i.e., international flights to Europe/Asia.. I believe south and north of the border is considered domestic travel), unlimited service charge trans oceanic days, and then if you had been already employed 3 rewards and recognition days-which basically is like an emergency pass, just a step down. You will also get family and friends certificates, which cost about 10% of the full fare, plus taxes/fees. All pass allotments reset on your DOH. DOH also will be the deciding factor of your priority on a flight, along with the pass level you are flying on. If you are not married, you can designate a person to be your travel companion-which can be a girlfriend/boyfriend, a friend, etc. You also should receive travel benefits on all Delta flights-not just Delta mainline and ASA flights-such as Comair, Air France, etc.

and LOL to that comic SAS23 posted.