planenutz

Iberia To End MIA Mini-hub

Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:57 am

Because of the new immigration requirements that transiting non-US citizens will need a visa, Iberia may discontinue its Miami feeder flights. Exelsior newspsper in Mexico City says that Mexican government officials are trying to convince Iberia of using Cancun as an alternative.

Iberia used to operate DC-9s, and now I believe A319's, from MIA to several points in Central America and Mexico to connect to its nonstop widebody service to MAD.
Not all who wander are lost....

luisca

RE: Iberia To End MIA Mini-hub

Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:02 am

I find your post hard to believe. do you have any prof of that requirement. I dont think that the US goverment would do such a stupid thing, Iberia is not the only airline that uses miami as a transit airport. it would also affect many other airlines, including us airlines
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

chepos

Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:15 am

Actually right now they are just thinking about it , nothing official yet. Guatemala is also in negotiations with Iberia to move the MIA hub to Guatemala. I'm sure Iberia will not leave MIA that fast they will sure try to reach an agreement with the US govt.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

MAH4546

Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:17 am

It is true they are considering it because of the new immigration rules, but nothing is official yet (Iberia has said nothing). Iberia is going to try to get around the rules and is likely to ask for immunity before moving thier operations because no other airport will be able to offer what MIA offers in terms of local business traffic and profits. Yes, other foreign airlines, particulary Air France and now Mexicana, use MIA as a transit airport, but their operations are not as large as Iberias. We'll see what happens, it will be sad to see them go if that has to happen.
a.

MAH4546

Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:21 am

Another problem: Grupo Taca and LACSA. Grupo Taca and LACSA has strong influence on the goverments of Central America, and any attemept at an IB hub at GUA or SJU will be meet with opposition. Grupo Taca already has helped elimate IB's 5th freedom on MIA-SAL. COPA at PTY may be more lienant, but I don't know. No way in hell they would consider Cancun. Yields are terrible. PTY would provide the most viable option outside of MIA.
a.

chepos

Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:24 am

PTY might me a good option but they would hardly have space, PTY is a small airport and when I was there it was overcrowded. Iberia would never be able to use PTY as a mini hub with Copa there.
Fly the Flag!!!!

MAH4546

Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:26 am

Okay, I know third post in a short while, but I've found more info. Iberia is going to try thier best not to have to leave:

We hope to be able to continue operating in Miami," said an Iberia spokeswoman in Madrid who asked not to be identified. "But we are looking at other alternatives, just in case things don't change."

And this problem is not only effecting Iberia, but everyone, including American and United/Star Alliance. Airport and Iberia officals have already begun speaking with federal authorities to solve the problems. Hopefully a solution will be reached. If it isn't, Iberia will likely be sent packing.

a.

ZRH

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:16 am

I don't understand it. When you stay in the transit area you don't pass immigration officers and you don't have to show passports or visas. Where is the problem?

patroni

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:26 am

@ZRH : This might be the case in Europe, in the USA you will however enter the country even when transiting.

When flying on a freighter aircraft (for example), you need a US visa even when you are coming from a country which normally participates in the visa waiver program. I flew last year from Taipei with a fuel stop in Fairbanks to Europe and was required to have a full US visa (for about 50 USD!) in order to pass through Fairbanks, even though that I did not leave the aircraft there!

Cheers,
Tom

luisca

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:27 am

Chepos, the airport in panama is small, but it has 2 10000 feet runways, ILS CAT III and the best ATC center in central america, also, you probably came on copa, copas flights arrive almost al with only ten minutes of separation and leave about an hour later, returning in the afternoon. Iberias conecting flights to miami arrive around 1 o clock, at that time the airport is practically deserted and the flight to madrid leaves at about 4pm, still an hour of low traffic in panama, so panama is not such a bad option , but a very unlikely one.

LatinPlane

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:58 am

The best option for the replacement of MIA would be Cancun. In geographic terms it is only located about an hour and a half's flight time from Miami, and it would be relatively easy to get 5th freedom rights from Cancun to any city in Central America. However, Cancun is an extremely low-yield market with an insignificant number of business passengers. That is why you don't already see either Iberia or AeroMexico flying directly to Madrid from Cancun. Another thing about Cancun is that it is not particularly suited for connecting passengers. It is not comfortable enough like Miami. Chepos am I correct?

Guatemala's airport does not have modern facilities of a hub. I am not sure of this but Guatemala's airport also might have a smaller runway, which might restrict the number of passengers flying to Europe. San Salvador's Comalapa airport does have the proper infrastructure to support such a hub but it is not a good option due to its geographic location. The same could be said about Panama, which might boost the facilities to support such a hub but its location makes it the worst of any Central American city that is trying to host the hub.

In conclusion, any city just won't be able to support a hub like Miami can. I hope that IB can find a loophole to this visa problem. I'm pretty sure that the city of Miami is going to do everything in its power to stop IB from contributing precious amounts of money in the local economy but it's up to those people in Washington, which are mostly concerned with security problems at the moment, to deem the future of IB's mini-hub. Mah4546 Is it the case that many people are using the hub as an excuse to land in U.S. soil in order to apply for political asylum? I remember hearing not long ago that this was a problem with Colombians who where only supposed to use MIA as a transit point but would end up applying for political asylum instead.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

prosa

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:09 pm

IB ought to designate Havana as its new mini-hub. That would be an effective way of showing the bureaucrats in Washington what fools they are.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

747firstclass

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:52 pm

As I side note, I am certain that in the US/Spain air agreement permits a mini hub in the US.Dont know if this technicality about the visas would casue the US to be in default of the agreement. Also there was and still is considerable manpower already in Miami from IB working on a future expansion of its Miami hub and paving the way for a possible US/Spain openskies. So perhaps with the indcentives of more jobs, more money,more flights etc. in Miami, enough pressure will be put on the pea brain nit wits in Washington. I have a gut feeling that in the end it will somewho be worked out and IB will stay.

747firstclass

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:56 pm

PS Forgot to also say that dont forget the brother of the president of the USA is also the gov. of Florida. Would certainly think that counts for a great, great deal. Dont underestimate that trump card.

ghost77

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:04 pm

For me I think Cancun it's the best option. Besides CUN have a better terminal, than any other airports in the area, the only problem is the expensive this airport has become in the last years, to land and operate in this airport is very expensive, even more than CDG and it's in the TOP10 airports most expensive world wide.

The good thing Cun can offer it's the new building and a possible second runway in a near future...since Cancun it's growing very fast and has become the 3rd most important airport in the country.

ghost77  Smile

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

MAH4546

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:15 pm

Iberia is not giving up, they are going to look for immunity to transit rules, immunity which they had before 9.11. As everyone here seems to agree, there is no logical, profitable alternative. And this comes at a time when Iberia was planning on expanding thier MIA presence to also include secondary Mexican markets (in particular GDL and MTY). Only Miami offers the high-yield traffic.

Latinplane, the real problem in SAL is simple: Grupo TACA. They did complain about Iberia and were succsesful in yanking Iberia's 5th freedom on MIA-SAL and they will complain if Iberia tries anything in GUA, SJO, or SAL.
a.

Emirates Skies

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:27 pm

What are the possibilities of IBeria using Havana or SDQ (Santo Domingo, Dominica) if the worst were to happen ('kicked out' of MIA)?

Emirates Skies
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

COPA737

Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:23 am

Well, I think Panama is not that bad at all. As Luisca said, have a little advantage over the others Central American Countries.

About Guatemala and Costa Rica, both have very modern terminals, Its bad that many people doesnt know that. And starts making posts here, that are outdated and doesnt have any sense.

I think that, Iberia should try to keep the Miami Hub. Because we all now, that Miami is the best hub for all the Latin American destinations. That why many Cargo and Passenger airlines have hubs there.

Regards,

COPA737
Panamá Crece y Copa Airlines crece con Panamá!

chepos

Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:58 am

Geographically speaking if the MIA hub has to be dismantled CUN or SDQ would be the best options ,the airport infrastructure would be the problem and as people have said the yields to Cancun wouldn't be too good. PTY geographically speaking wouldn't really make sense, most of the destinations are to the north so it would be backtacking to reach the other central american destinations, but on the other hand it's extremely easy to fly through it- no immigration or anything if you are just transiting. Thinking about it HAV wouldn't be that bad of an idea, but there is no replacement to MIA. Latinplane CUN is an airport that in my opinion is already saturated with the amount of passengers it already handles if Iberia makes it a minihub I wouldn't even want to imagine the mess iit would create.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

funny

Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:18 am

Why not change to La Habana as a hub.

Jason

airsicknessbag

Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:30 am

Problem is, I remember reading in another thread that half of the traffic between MIA and the Central American destinations is O/D, i.e. not originating at /connecting on to MAD/BCN.

Daniel Smile

Emirates Skies

Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:16 am

If it is correct that half of the traffic between MIA and Central America is O/D, the visa issue should not be a problem for them, right? The problem was about the visa for the other 50%: transitting pax...

I think that IBeria stands to lose a lot out of all this. It cannot fly planes with 50% of the present capacity to MIA and same such planes to its new hub (SDQ/HAV/PTY/etc.) for connecting pax to MAD.

I think it would be funny if MIA lost IBeria's mini-hub to Havana!
I wonder how the IMP. people in Washington and Miami would react to this!

I hope MIA keeps IBeria ...just for IBeria's sake.
Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints

DouglasDC8

Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:47 pm

The reason the visa requirement has suddenly arisen is not only related to September 11. Due to the unfortunate unrest in some countries in Central and South America, transiting passengers have been asking for political asylum once they enter Miami. I did not know this has become a problem for Iberia, although I did hear about this happening at American and Avianca.

ibe1238

Wed May 01, 2002 10:26 am

I'm an IBERIA ticket sales agent based in BCN airport. Nowadays the problems with the hub of MIA are two.
According to the nacionality of the passenger he may need a VISA to transit in Miami. The other problem is that all passengers MUST pick up their baggage, clear customs in MIAMI and then continue to CUN or the other Central-American destinations.
I have never liked MIAMI hub. As far as I'm concerned, I should vote for LA HABANA. Easier transfers, possibilities of new destinations because CUBA is the Caribbean country prefered by the Spaniards to spend their holidays and the economic and touristic relations between that wonderful island and Spain are very interesting. LA HABANA as hub would be much more profitable for IBERIA. Taxes and costs will be lower than in MIAMI.
m

chepos

Wed May 01, 2002 10:43 am

Ibe1238 this has nothing to do with the MIA hub but I have a question related to Iberia's operations at San Juan. How are the loads for this flight, and do they ever plan to operate the SDQ and SJU flights separately .
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

prosa

Wed May 01, 2002 10:52 am

I have never liked MIAMI hub. As far as I'm concerned, I should vote for LA HABANA. Easier transfers, possibilities of new destinations because CUBA is the Caribbean country prefered by the Spaniards to spend their holidays and the economic and touristic relations between that wonderful island and Spain are very interesting. LA HABANA as hub would be much more profitable for IBERIA. Taxes and costs will be lower than in MIAMI.

Not to mention the fact that moving the hub to HAV would be a huge embarassment to the United States. The treatment of Cuba as public enemy #1 is ridiculous and serves utterly no public purpose whatsoever.

luisca

Thu May 02, 2002 12:55 am

why is this forum filled with rednecks "Padcrasher" The US thinks that it can do wathever it and everyone will obey, you think that the world is at your feet. it is time we started doing something about it. Iberia generates a lot of money to MIA, think of the dayly traffic that it has. Havana is impractical becouse their is little central american traffic to havana, besides airlines like taca and copa wouldnt like to compete with Iberia on those routes.

Reggaebird

Thu May 02, 2002 12:57 am

La Habana (Havana) would not be a great transit hub for Iberia because of the following:

1) It has very limited gate space
2) Investment would be needed to create transit lounges
3) It has one runway which restricts volume
4) At last report, it only has Category II landing capability which would restrict operations in bad weather.
5) Cuba would certainly restrict rights to add passengers in Havana for political and or competitive reasons.

So much for that great idea. Someplace like the Dominican Republic might be a better choice.

Thornton

heavymetal

Thu May 02, 2002 1:07 am

A few minutes before 9am on a beautiful New York morning last September, the US got a dose of where all our convenience and openness got us...the whisking through Customs, the lax security. If the Spanish carrier wishes to relocate because its' passengers are annoyed by this country wishing to seal the leaks (and MIA has been a notorious leak since the days when it was cocaine, not al Qaeda) and protect itself...well, dont let the door hitcha in the ass.

As much as some people wish it otherwise, la Republica Miami is still a U.S. city.....and will adhere to US security proceedures.

bkkair

Thu May 02, 2002 1:09 am

Good point Prosa. Move to La Habana. I just can't understand why other countries with even more serious political asylum issues can successfully operate a transit system. LHR is the best example. Or any airport in Europe. How successful would CX be as an airline if everyone changing planes had to get a HKSAR visa? Or would BKK be such a huge hub if they required transit visas?

I hope IB can sort this out with the US.

FYI: The US isn't the only country that has this ridiculous policy. China requires a transit visa for people transiting in China ( eg. BKK-CAN-NRT) and I don't think alot of people will get off in CAN and claim political asylum. Looks like the US and China have more in common than thought.

Prinair

Thu May 02, 2002 2:03 am

Yes...you fools move to expand IB opeations at HAV and provide more revenue for the oppresive dictatorship.

While MIA might require visas and may not be very convenient anymore, it is far better than supporting a government that does not care for human rights at all.

PRINAIR : Puerto Rico International Airlines

padcrasher

Thu May 02, 2002 5:40 am

I love it!!!

My reply has been erased.

I used no foul language. And I'm branded a "redneck".

Yet, the political comments of Senor PROSA remain.

Did I start the bashing of the US in this aviation forum? No, I merely said in more or less terms, butt out! After PROSA added his words of wisdom.

Did I advocate a boycott of Cuba? Did I tell Spain what to do?

But it's OK for someone to say the US should be embarrassed in an aviation forum?

bkkair

Thu May 02, 2002 6:51 am

As far as the security some previous posters worried about, allowing a transit lounge at Miami ( which is guarded in any case by armed Customs officials) has absolutely no impact on security from terrorist attacks. People cannot leave the transit lounge. Period. This policy of making transit passengers have their baggage and papers checked is nothing but window dressing to make the public feel their government is doing something about security, like taking nail files and toenail clippers away from grandmothers.

The only time I was searched during a transit stop was in the old East Berlin. I couldn't believe they would check transit passengers. I said to myself "it's a police state".

If IB and other airlines (NZ from LHR-LAX-AKL or AF PPT-LAX-CDG, JL NRT-JFK-GRU) could more easily transit passengers through US airports it would only help bring more air service to the US. We should consider how many airlines, especially after the IB problem will think twice about 5th freedom rights from the US. Or does this policy have nothing to do with security and everything to with protecting US carriers from competition?

And by the way, even before 11Sep, the US had been known as having the most difficult customs and immigration policies. Why did DL give up their PDX hub? Even then, it was just too difficult for even regular people to enter the US.

heavymetal

Thu May 02, 2002 7:13 am

Bkkair...

It's very simple. An aircraft departing out of MIA for wherever carrying American citizens MUST adhere to US security proceedures.

Transiting foreign nationals aboard an airplane sitting on American soil that have absolutely no interaction with our security proceedures? In this day and age? Nope.

In any case, why is it an issue? If Iberia's passengers are annoyed (and judging by the comments on an earlier thread about inflight service, that feeling didn't start in Dade County) then move the hub. Maybe when empty gates start getting chronic there MIA airport officials will actually have to consider luring back domestic US passengers who use FLL and PBI now because of the "Spanish Language Only" culture that pervades at MIA.

bkkair

Thu May 02, 2002 7:43 am

Whether you transit in NRT, LHR, HKG, BKK or any airport worldwide you have to go through security screening during your transit stop. No problem with that. You DON'T have to go through immigration.

There is no logic in having an IB passenger who is changing in MIA to have to go to the US Embassy in their country, fill out an application, pay $50 for the Visa, submit bank records, employment records, letters of introduction etc. ( requirement of US depending on your nationality) just to change planes in MIA. If it was me I would choose an airline that didn't require this. It is undoubtedly costing IB business to subject their passengers to this.

What's next? Any aircraft flying through US airspace having to land for security and immigration checks? Wouldn't surprise me.

And what's wrong with the Spanish language anyway?

heavymetal

Thu May 02, 2002 7:56 am

If you don't think there's logic in knowing that kind of information about someone coming into your country, even for twenty minutes...a country whose civillians have been targeted for murder...then you're right, it's not logical. Perhaps you better route through somewhere else on your next trip to Central or South America. You said it yourself. Choose another airline. And perhaps Iberia will choose another hub. America has changed. You obviously don't like the results. I'm sincerely sorry. Talk to bin Laden.

And there's exactly nothing wrong with the Spanish language. I dont mind the billingual signs, I dont mind the fact the Spanish announcements come first..I'll even be progressive enough not to mind if an airline employee or newsstand clerk initially addresses me in Spanish. But when I make it clear I only speak English in a country where English is the working language...and they ignore me, or continue in Spanish. Then I have a problem with Spanish.

airzim

Thu May 02, 2002 8:13 am

It is very easy for non-Yanks on this forum to bash the US when they don't like the policies of the government and start making ridiculous statements (bkkair) that it must be protectionist policies of US carriers. Please give us a little more credit than that. At least I don't live in a country that prevents the Economist from distributing their magazine because of article about the beloved Thai King that was considered non favorable.

I fly to UK, France, South Africa, India etc., I have to respect the rules that are in place. I may not like it but tough, I can chose not to fly there.

It is true that the rules have changes since 9/11 because NZ passengers now have to pick up their bags in LAX before going to LHR. It's a pain but so is taking off your shoes before boarding a flight in ZRH to the States because of some nutcase on flight on AA.

Not all countries have to pay visa fees to the States. Over 30 nations are on the visa waiver program and can enter for free, including Spain.

Metalbird

Thu May 02, 2002 9:31 am

I´m sory but I canot understand what can a transit passenger in a closed room (transit area in a airport) do that can make any harm to USA, this passenger doesn´t want (need) to enter the public areas of the USA airport, he is only waiting to a connection to another country( If he doesn´t leave the transit area I think that there is no need to search all his bags and to demand that he must have a Valid VISA).

Keep in mind that this passenger and his bags have been SEARCHED in the foreign airport of origin and he canot have any arms or bombs with him, and in the remote possibility that someone wanted to do any bad thing, he could make the bad things just BEFORE landind in the USA.

Maybe the US autorithies d´ont thrust the foreign countries security, but i can assure that from what have been revealead the US airports security before 9/11 was very weak, right now maybe it´s a bit better...

For example the US airports allowed that any person could go to the gate of the airport, elsewere (europe) only passengers can go to the gate.

MetalBird

flymia

Thu May 02, 2002 10:27 am

I dont think Iberia or American would alow it. If the gov made them move a major law suit would happen. Iberia should not move and the gov should not make them move.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

prosa

RE: Waht Does The Future Hold For America West?

Thu May 02, 2002 12:32 pm

Yet, the political comments of Senor PROSA remain.

America's Public Enemy #1 policy toward Cuba is a ridiculous Cold War relic that serves no useful purpose whatsoever. It exists solely because cowardly politicians are afraid to "upset" the Cuban exile community in Miami - whom, one would think, should have become resigned after 40+ years to the fact that the good old days of Batista ain't coming back.

padcrasher

Thu May 02, 2002 1:47 pm

Prosa I'd love to respond to you but the "Editor" seems to only allow anti-American political posts in this aviation forum...From here on out I'll just stick with aviation....let's just agree that if IB has a problem with the U.S, by all means move the hub to HAV...lol.

DouglasDC8

Thu May 02, 2002 2:36 pm

In regards to a transit lounge-I don't know of any airport in the United States that has one. If there are any please let me know where, just for my curiosity. Right now, the ancient architecture of MIA would not allow transit lounges without a major building project.
As for the subject of the Cuban Exile community-of course their elected representatives will consider and respect their views. It's politics and it's the outcome of a representative democracy. (ie: the politicians reflect the will of the people who elected them). As a gringo, I just don't think it's acceptable to bash a group of hardworking, decent people such as Cuban Americans.

MAH4546

Fri May 03, 2002 12:19 am

DouglasDC8, I was under the impression that IB does/did have a transit lounge at MIA, but I am not sure. Though MIA is being replaced by a new $5.4B airport "on top" of the old one, so a transit lounge can definitley be added in the future if Iberia remains.
a.

chepos

Fri May 03, 2002 2:04 am

JFK has a transit lounge which EL AL uses for it's passengers that continue on to North American flights.
About the Cuban American community, I have nothing against them but they just think they rule Miami (If someone goes to Cuba they see the need to boycott and protest, at least they do that here in Puerto Rico)- I also clearly remember the Elian Gonzales case .
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

airafriquedkr

Fri May 03, 2002 11:04 am

MIA does have a transit lounge. It's right before you enter the immigration area where passports are checked. Any passengers transiting without a visa have to stay there until their next flight. I think that MIA is one of the few airports in the USA with a transit lounge because it sees so many South/Central America/Carribbean to Europe passengers that transit without a visa.

Currently passengers from the following countires can not transit the USA with out a visa:

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Burma, Burundi, Central African Republic, People's Republic of China, Colombia,Congo (Brazzaville), Cuba, India, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia, Serbia, Seirra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, and Sudan.