Thom@s
Topic Author

Near Crash!

Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:46 pm

Aircraft on approach, traffic is a 95 model Honda.

This is nearly the message the plane from Bergen - Flesland recieved when on final for Notodden airport, Norway.

The incident occured monday this week. The gates holding back cars that wanted to cross the rwy suddenly opened, and tthey started entering the rwy while the plane was moments away from touchdown.

The gates opened due to a "technical difficulty" the airport announced.

The plane aborted takeoff and circled before a sucessful landing, on an empty rwy this time.

The airport claims this isn't the first time this has happened, but also say that they don't consider these kind of situations as a dramatic situation at all.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

BlueShamu330s

RE: Near Crash!

Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:23 pm

The plane aborted takeoff and circled before a sucessful landing, on an empty rwy this time.

HUH???!!!!!!!!!

Big thumbs up
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

Airbus_A340

Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:45 pm

You know what he means  Smile

Not a dramatic situation? Cars on runways with a plane moments from touchign down on it....hmmm...
 Smile They better clear up their act with these gates!

Trevor
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

scissor eagle

Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:25 pm

I remember a man driving his car onto the runway in Auckland a few years ago something like two days in a row as well. Maybe they should start thinking that cars on a runway are a bit of a hazard!

flyhigh@tom

Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:18 pm

Why does the road cut across the runway in the first place?  Confused
i thought after such incidents atleast it would have prevailed on the authorities to build a road around the airport no?

By the way any photos of this Nottoden airport, someone please post it here.

The airport authorities say that such things are not "dramatic", i hope it wont be dramatic when those gates face a "technical difficulty" when it is too late for a plane to pull up and go around.  Yeah sure

Cheers
Thomas.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:43 pm

Here are over 100 pics from Notodden.

http://www1.airpics.com/search.php?type=&string=Notodden&si=50&count=10&st=1

Sadly no aerial photos of the rwy, but I know there are similar airports around the world pictured on a.net.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Squigee

Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:53 pm

Gibraltar's airport has a road through the runway:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Luis Rosa

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:59 am

Yeah, those were the photos i had in mind. Thanks Mike.  Smile

Thom@s