milemaster

How Would You Survive A Flight On Tower Air?

Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:13 am

This actually started on a thread I was posting on, but felt it deserved it's own thread:

It was amazing that they didn't have a stop along the way to each of those cities involving a vertical dive into the ground at 900+ mph.

To say the least, they had the most reamed planes in the industry. Dr. Kevorkian regularly suggested his patients give Tower air a try before utilizing his suicide machine.

If an airline could put mudflaps, curb feelers, a chain steering wheel, gold trim package, and a velvet roof on it's entire fleet, Tower air would've pioneered it.

Perhaps even lower the suspension and throw some neon underneath the plane.

Nonetheless, if you wanted to be scared to near-death levels, Tower Air was a surefire way to do it.

I think the pilots wore those wife-beater T-shirts on occasion, here's a picture of one of their old pilots:

We've all heard stories.. Hell, check out Epinions.com. The stories are positively bone chilling, but hilarious.

My question is: "How would you survive a flight on Tower Air?"

Would you wear an executive parachute?
Would you meditate throughout the flight? Probably before?
Take a tranquilizer?
Beat the crap out of the passenger next to you to show you mean business when you go to sleep? (Like in prison I guess, same rules.)
Request to be strapped to the wing and and cut free when the plane begins to go down?

How would you survive?

BWIrwy4

RE: How Would You Survive A Flight On Tower Air?

Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:22 am

Wear a parachute and pack some serious heat.

chepos

Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:23 am

I would just relax and enjoy my near death experience.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

prosa

Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:31 am

My question is: "How would you survive a flight on Tower Air?"

Based on what I've heard about Tower, you probably wouldn't want to!

"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

United_fan

Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:07 am

If anyone need a good laugh,click on the link on Milemaster's post. It's absolutely hillarious to read the slams of old Tower Air  Big grin
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

desert_dweller

Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:24 pm

They even screw up before take off, while refueling...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Serge Bailleul

JETPILOT

Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:59 pm

Add one engine fire enroute JFK-Tel Aviv.

In defense of Tower....They kept their planes flying safely, sometimes with lots of speed tape, and DMI's till the minute they expired. It was a monkey operation.

The safety record being owed to the grace of God and the almighty Boeing 747....

You did as little maintenance as you could legally get away with.

JET

Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:52 pm

You did as little maintenance as you could legally get away with.

I just fear it's the case with most if not all airlines...

But I remember to have read many troubling events concerning Tower Air.

TechRep

Tower Air Rocks

Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:01 pm

I have respect for an airline that offers cheap fares and can maintain a fatality free record from 1983-2001. Granted, Tower Air didn't offer the transatlantic service some people are used to but they still offered a service none the less. There is room for these types of airlines and many Pilots, Mechanics and flight attendants owe valued experience to this airline which furthered their career.

I can think of many airlines (some top 10 BTW), I have worked on at TIMCO and Dee Howard, that are as bad if not worse than Tower Air with getting by with legal minimums for flight safety.

With cheap fares come deep cuts (most cases) in many services. When one buys a ticket he must be aware of such things. Tower Air had high time aircraft sure but they had very high time pilots with lots of experience. Cheap fares, means less spares/rotables kept on hand to keep supply side costs down, meaning delays when key components are not readily on hand.

It's funny to see prima donna pilots knock low fare discount airlines, so where did you get your hours? Did you start at United Airlines? I think not. Many Pilots owe their B747 hours to Tower; therefore they owe their careers.

It's hard to get B747 experience as a pilot/mechanic unless you’re with the majors, Tower, Polar, Kalitta (AIA) offered an inroads or a stepping stone to a greater future. B747 experience is coveted by mechanics and Familiarization/Type certificates on this heavy metal is golden.

As far as speed tape is concerned if the SRM (Structural Repair Manual) say's its a valid temporary repair what's the problem? Sure these type of airlines push the edge and utilize the CDL/MEL to it's fullest potential but it's legal. So, if you do not like to fly on these airlines or fly for them don’t! Spend your money elsewhere or get your hours elsewhere and good luck.

I do not think most of you have a clue about what it takes to put an aircraft of this size in the air and your 'fire from the hip' ignorant comments are laughable. You can read your little aviation books about the plane all day; they won’t allude to what really it takes to get a B747 in the sky, the logistics are just incredible.

Many airlines started the way Tower did and later the service and corporate culture changed for the better, in other words evolution, they evolved to better standards and customer service. I think America West, ATA and AirTran are great examples of this. In this case Tower never had the chance to evolve so in this case rest in piece.

I C/D Checked all the above operators AMW and Tower (Dee Howard), ATA and AirTran (TIMCO), I consider the maintenance practices identical, in no way did we say, "ok that's Tower Air therefore we need to deviate and provide inferior maintenance". The company (Tower) paid their bills and agreed to most of the non-routines we generated and were great to work with. That’s more than I can say for AMW or AirTran, they were always looking for the cheaper way out, constantly didn't pay their bills and wouldn't allow us to comply with non-routines and looking for the easy way out.

In other words, Tower Air completed necessary repairs at C Check and tried hard to get the aircraft back to health, where the aforementioned operators had better inservice repair procedures but attempted to do bare bones C Checks. So you pilot's who insist on commenting on the maintenance health of an airline, please stick to flying and leave these matters to others who know what they are talking about.

Technically, there are no unsafe airlines and if there are then it is the fault of the PMI or PAI for allowing this to happen. It can also be said that no mechanic has to dispatch an unsafe aircraft and no pilot has to fly an unsafe aircraft. Of course that's in a perfect world but our world is not perfect.

Rest in Pieces Tower Air

TechRep

FrequentFlier

Tower Air Terminal

Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:46 am

What ever happened to the former Tower Air terminal?

milemaster

Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:17 am

Perhaps you should've posted that on another thread Techrep.

GoAllegheny

Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:19 am

I think we can joke about Tower Air in part because it did not have any fatal accidents. My one and only flight on Tower Air in 1983 (Brussels to JFK), shortly after it bought Metro, was fine, all things considered.

The only thing I really remember about the flight was a comment by one of the F/As, who was quite optimistic about Tower's long-term chances of success: As we taxied to the gate at JFK, he looked out at a Concorde and said quite seriously "someday we'll have one of those planes." Yeah, right.

Regardless, despite Tower's defenders, I think we can say that it had one of the worst service records of any long-haul airlines. And that's what made it worse; bad short-haul flights are a lot easier to endure that bad long-haul flights.

TechRep

Milemaster

Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:42 am

The post was more than appropriate for this thread. This thread is just another lame airline flame post with no apparent content like half of what's posted in this forum. So if you do not like "no frills" airlines with fares of $199.00 round trip from JFK-LAX then opt for the Majors and pay 2-3 times more. This airline served a purpose and had a better safety record then many airlines still flying. Please add some content and argue my post with some intelligent feedback or move on to another lame post about, what's your favorite airline, or does Southwest fly to your airport, or who is better Airbus or Boeing?

TechRep