airblue

Future Ryanair Hubs In Italy And Scandinavia?

Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:56 pm

I read some weeks ago on a business magazine, that Ryanair is planning to open new hubs in Italy and Scandinavia within the end of 2003.
Anyone has some new information about it??
My guess is that in Italy a big candidate is Bergamo (BGY) or Milan Orio as FR uses to call this airport.
From what I know FR operation in BGY (twice daily to Hahn and Stansted) are running very well. Also this airport could support a large number of business travellers to all the main FR European destinations.
But I also know that FR hasn't get there the usually "fantastic deal" that they get from other airports. Mainly because SABCO (the owner of BGY airport) is controlled by 49% by SEA Milan Airport Authority, that doesn't want too much competition for MXP. (It seems that AZ asked to SEA in order to not go back to FCO to not improve the number of low-cost carriers in the Milan area. (first result: Buzz stopped to fly to LIN and GO reduced from 3 to 2 the number of daily flight from STN to LIN).

About Scandinavia I read that Oslo-Torp is the first candidate.

Does anyone know something about FR operations in Brussels Charleroi??
From what I know they planned two years ago to base there up to 4 B737/800 within the end of 2002, but today they base there only 3 B737/200.
Also they reduced from 2 to 1 the number of daily flights to Pisa and Treviso.

travellin'man

RE: Future Ryanair Hubs In Italy And Scandinavia?

Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:48 pm

How about Rome Ciampino?
It is not enough to be rude; one must also be incorrect.

airblue

Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:08 am

Rome Ciampino could be an option, but the traffic is mainly leisure.
This airport is also manage by the same company who manage FCO, so it's difficult for Ryanair to get good deal.

f.pier

Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:06 am

I think that Brescia could be a good alternative to Milan Orio.
It's not far from there and it has a different owner, and then, it's not crowded, so it can handle a large amount of flights.

Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:18 am

Airblue, in Germany it's also FRAPORT who 'owns' Hahn and Frankfurt and they give out good deals to Ryanair.