LH423
Topic Author

Do You Ever Have A Moment...

Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:16 am

Do you ever have a moment when you see something that totally reminds you of why you love planes?

I was sitting here...at my computer when I could hear a distant rumble. I knew it was a large plane before I saw it, but soon I saw the four engines of a 747 heading for me. I ran out the front door just as a British Airways 747-400 Union Flag passed just a couple thousand feet overhead on it's way to the 4L approach at BOS. I stood there in awe for a minute until it was out of view. The power and beauty made me re-realize why I love aviation.

Anyone have stories like this where you see or hear something that refreshes the excitement and thrill of aviation to you?

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Arsenal@LHR

RE: Do You Ever Have A Moment...

Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:58 am

Yes i do have moments like u said.

When i go spotting at LHR, i get very excited just as i'm approaching the airport i can see planes landing in the distance one by one. And when u get right next to the airport, adjacent to the runway, you see all the big and small jets queueing up on the taxiway and one after another they roar into the sky. Simply amazing.

Watching a big plane like a 747/777/A330 taking off gives me the chills!!

Arsenal@LHR

In Arsene we trust!!

727LOVER

Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:02 am

What I love is visting an airport for the first time, especially by car. When you're only 2 or 3 miles from it, and you start seeing aircraft in the sky.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:05 am

727LOVER,
that's what i was trying to say! Big grin

In Arsene we trust!!

airplanetire

Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:46 am

I went to go play miniature golf with my dad and my brother. We were a ways a way from the ATL airport, but just a few thousand feet above, a Delta MD-11 flew over on approach to ATL. It was obviously coming from Europe or South America considering the time of day (afternoon) and international flights have a huge added thrill and excitement for me. The MD-11 is just really big and graceful too. I really wanted to be on it at that time.

Ilyushin96M

Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:48 am

I'm reminded why I love planes every time I hear jet engines revving near where I live, which is right next to MKE.  Smile Everyone who knows where I live thinks the jet noise would bother me, but I tell them it's music to my ears.

IMissPiedmont

Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:23 am

Kids!
The sound that always makes me look up is the sound of a round engine passing by. Tonight "Nine-O-Nine" and "All American" flew over my house. My dog couldn't understand why I was looking at the sky. She thought the rabbits and quail were much more interesting.

"Jets are for Kids"
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:45 am

Airplanetire, there is also an afternoon M11 flight from MCO to ATL.

trickijedi

Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:48 am

Yes! Everytime I fly I get reminded of how much I love planes. Sometimes I get so busy with the hustle and bustle with the details of the purpose of the trip that I forget the fact that watching airplanes in my spare time is one of my hobbies. Getting to the airport definitely settles me down.

Also when I talk to someone about aviation... I get reminded of how fun it is to be interested in it.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

CMK10

Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:22 pm

On tuesday night i went to the Mets game at Shea Stadium and i was reminded a bunch of times.
First when i was sitting and i could see planes coming into land at LGA.
Second, when we were waiting for our cab, they changed the approach pattern (just for me?) and i had a bunch of USAirways and Delta's a Northwest and two Americans fly right over me in a gradual turn. I was standing there grinning  Smile
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

OzarkD9S

Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:34 pm

A few months ago I witnessed the coolest thing. I was sitting in the parking lot at a mall waiting for a buddy near STL when I saw MD-80's taking off in order: TW red and white stripes, TW twin globes c/s, TW/AA interim scheme and AA full colors. Wish I had a freaking camera!
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

Big777jet

Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:26 pm

I am still working at company for 13 years and I have seen a zillion of times over by me where the planes approach runway 22R at Chicago O'Hare almost everyday. I could see many wonderful planes over me while come to work, out lunch and going home. I could hear sometimes the plane taking off over me. It was great!

Big777jet

HlywdCatft

Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:31 pm

Seeing the Yankee Lady B-17 fly over my house 2 days in a row on its way to YIP, it was probably only 2000 feet up.

And yes, my dog loves planes too. She doesn't bark at them, she watches them if they are relatively low or loud. She sits there and follows them thru the sky, but I think she just thinks they are a noisy bird because she watches birds too

707guy

Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:25 am

Just yesterday I was at CLE watching CO66 (757) depart for Gatwick. Since I was just across the street from the runway, the jet blast washed over me and I smelled the wonderful aroma of jet exhaust! Gets me everytime...

Jer32382

Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:41 am

I had a moment like that the other night. It was a beautiful evening so I decided to go fly for a little while, and as I was on climb out, the sun was just settin behind the city (columbus, ohio) and I was just sittin there thinking to myself that there is no better feeling in the world that flyin off into the sunset.

penguinflies

Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:27 am

I had a moment today:

My friend's sister died in a plane crash on Tuesday (she was working on her commerical license). Today at the funeral, as the body was brought out of the church to be moved to the cemetary, a lone cessna citation was climbing right over the church. I was the only person too look up.

Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:56 am

When I was in 4th grade on the field. Everyone is playing two hand touch football at recess. I'm on the team that's on defense, and I'm a blocker. It's a warm, spring, day with stiff winds, and cumulus. The play is starting, but I hear a roar, and like LH423, I know it's big. I stare up at the sky. The play is in full force, everyone running and screaming "I'm wide open", but I don't move. A 747 of TWA in red and white livery is flying overhead about 5000ft. It had just took off from STL on the way to HNL on TWA Flt 1. It is so huge, but graceful. The 747 flies in and out of the clouds, and the roar fills my ears. I stare up until it has gone.

TurboTristar

STT757

Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:29 pm

Yesterday a LH 747-400 buzzed my house at such a low altitude I thought for sure he was going to hit the roof, I went outside and couldn't believe how low he was on approach to EWR.

EWR and LGA flights pass over my house all the time but Im 45 miles South of EWR, somedays (like yesterday) the heavies are very very low.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos