Traffic In STL Is Amazing.

Sun Sep 12, 1999 8:49 am

I was in St.louis yesterday on my stop from Orlando to Chicago, and I couldnt believe the traffic at this airport. I am always flying TWA since my mother works for them, and I am always going through STL. I just wanted to mention that living in Chicago you think I would be used to this, but I have never seen so many planes taxiing, landing, and taking off at the same time as I did at this airport. Maybe its just because it is not as spread out of an airport as Chicago is. But when we taxied off the runway after landing, we were going down the main taxiway towards the gates, and when we pulled into the gate, I counted 23 planes behind us on that main taxiway. That wasnt even to mention the rest of the traffic swarming around on the other taxiways. Another point is that a very good number of these planes were 757's. I didnt realize TWA had so many already. I think its time this airport recieves an expansion.  

RE: Traffic In STL Is Amazing.

Mon Sep 13, 1999 10:57 am

Dose anyone know the number of 752 twa has and here the landing at twa

ENPLANDED=14,362,401 DEPLANED= 14,338,221

now the landings
1,807 average daily arrivals and departure

TWA 752s

Mon Sep 13, 1999 12:50 pm

TWA has 20 B757-200s as of Aug. 12th, 1999.

RE: TWA 752s

Tue Sep 14, 1999 8:26 pm

Yes, STL is an important hub, and perfect geographically speaking, but if you were to "visit" at a time when banks of planes weren't arriving, then you would think that someone closed down the place when you weren't looking. You'd probably think that Southwest Airlines had this place all to themselves. As an example, picture JFK (another TWA hub coincidentally). Flights arrive in early a.m., then early afternoon and depart in evening. If you went there in the late morning, you'd think someone dropped a neutron bomb. Plus, if you were at the end of that 25 or so string of planes waiting to takeoff, I doubt you'd be praising either STL or TWA for that matter. ;-)

RE: TWA 752s

Wed Sep 15, 1999 11:58 am

I can attest to waiting in a long line waiting to take off. I think in my TWE flight we sat on the taxiway for quite a while. But JohnBoy is right st louis is either busy or dead partially because other than southwest, No One Is There.!!!! St louis would be in trouble if they lost there hub status with TWA. If someone bought them and took some of TWA flights away, boy then were talking about a ghost town.

RE: Traffic In STL Is Amazing.

Wed Sep 15, 1999 12:16 pm

I've been to STL and know exactly what you are talking about...

Here in PHX, the traffic is amazing... except it doesn't die down! It's constant.... all of the airlines have numerous flights a day to many different cities so it's in and out all day long.... especially America West... and with only two runways (currently) it makes it horrible waiting in line behind anywhere from 5 and 10 and up America West aircraft, plus several Southwest, and any of the other 22 airlines at PHX at any given time....