airplanetire

Would SAA And RAM Join Skyteam?

Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:34 am

Would South African Airways join the Skyteam alliance? Delta codeshares quite extensively with them. Why doesn't SAA enter the alliance. It could help them, as well as get a member of Skyteam in Africa. Same goes for Royal Air Maroc. Do you think they would join Skyteam? Delta codeshares a good deal with them as well. It could help RAM and Skyteam. What are your thoughts?

Ciro

RE: Would SAA And RAM Join Skyteam?

Sun Apr 28, 2002 5:09 am

I think SAA is in high demand for any alliance due to its strategic location, therefore, it may have the ability to choose which airline grouping better suits its needs.

SAA will probably conclude that Star Alliance or OneWorld will bring it more benefits in terms of world coverage and partners´strenght. I say that Star is a good bet!

Does it still flying to Atlanta in that code-sharing agreement with Delta? Particularly, that seems to me a pretty odd route even though it serves the busiest airport in the World. It was nice seeing SAA flying to MIA. Was it cancelled?

Regarding RAM, would it be a priority for Skyteam right at this moment? Wouldn´t that be other carriers to develop closer relationships first, like El Al or Southern China?

Cheers!

The fastest way to become a millionaire in the airline business is to start as a billionaire.

AFa340-300E

Sun Apr 28, 2002 5:19 am

Hello,

Including an African partner is not a top priority for SkyTeam; the alliance has four places left.

Air France's CEO Jean-Cyril Spinetta said the four places are for:
o A South American carrier
o A South-East Asian carrier
o A Chinese carrier
o Possibly another European carrier.

Best regards,
Alain Mengus
ATB - Air France & Concorde

airplanetire

Sun Apr 28, 2002 5:22 am

I hadn't even considered EL Al or China Southern. Do you think that either of those would ever join?

BTW Ciro, yes, Delta does still codeshare with SAA on the ATL-South Africa flights. They also codeshare on flights in Africa with SAA. SAA no longer flies to MIA.

scottysair

Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:08 am

That right, Airplanetire!!! I do exactly remember that as for old codeshare by AA flight flies to South Africa. That was last 3 years ago and the depart aircraft were use into concourses E. That is an old SAA at the ticket counter by MIA airport. This is very busy hubs, huh?!? Which one did got pulled it out from American Airlines codeshare by SAA. Y'all guys that remember about use with an codeahare.

jrlander

Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:26 am

FYI:

From what is being said in Atlanta, the ATL to South Africa routes do VERY well for both SAA and Delta. Remember, they changed their codeshares from AA at MIA to Delta at JFK and ATL.