admluvs2fly

NON REV To HNL

Sun Apr 28, 2002 3:11 pm

does anybody nonrev to hnl and if so who do you use and from where? I'm trying to go end of may. I'm thiking of flying on AA from STL. to maui that is. What i'm really trying to do is go to maui.

A320FO

RE: NON REV To HNL

Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:05 pm

I just recently took a trip to HNL out of SFO with United. Getting there was no problem, got a seat in E-Plus, as first was sold out.
The return trip wasn't as easy. Got onto the listing three days in advance and was told the flight was overbooked plus a double-digit number of standbys (was the same for all flights that day, with the next couple of days not looking much better). My luck was a bigger airplane on my requested flight (744 vs 763) so again, I got on.
Travel between the islands is easy, as both HA and AQ have almost half-hourly flights between Honolulu and Kahului. I only got bumped once to the next flight (it was on friday evening, though).

Coming in from the midwest I suggest flying through either SFO or LAX as they both have multiple departures a day, greatly raising your chances of being accepted

It was a great vacation, so enjoy it

A320FO

SegmentKing

Sun Apr 28, 2002 5:51 pm

NRSA to hawaii?? good luck!

UA employees in HNL have found it easier to fly UA's HNL - NRT flight to get to the states  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

One particular lady works the 1P Desk and is also a 1P with United, she said that she takes that flight "often" to get back to the states when she's not on a revenue ticket. She also said about 1/3 of the HNL Res center has Premiers working there (cause it's damned near impossible, so they get the miles instead of hearing "all standbys have been cleared!")

I wish you luck my friend!

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

admluvs2fly

Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:07 am

any body have anyother ideas?

usflyer msp

Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:12 am

I usually take HA from the West Coast. I've never had a problem, its especially easy during the summer.

USFlyer MSP

admluvs2fly

Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:18 am

Thank you for the info. But what do you think of flying on AA from STL non stop to maui.

nonrevman

Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:40 am

HNL could very well be the most difficult nonrev destination. You could have trouble near the end of May because of Memorial Day weekend. Any flight that is booked or overbooked with paying passengers is not all that attractive to nonrevs.

SFO or LAX is good with the sheer numbers of flights to Hawaii, but they probably contain the bulk of the other standby passengers as well. Having 10 flights a day from LAX to HNL is not going to help when they are all going out full and they have double digit or triple digits numbers of nonrevs listed. The one thing you dont want to happen is to get there and then get bumped for a long time trying to get back.

I would check the loads from STL to OGG for that day and try to see how many people are listed for the flight about a week before the trip. Have several backup plans for getting home just in case you have trouble getting home. Have some money set aside for a possible extended stay in Hawaii. Also, I hope you are not travelling on a buddy pass. There have been many horror stories of people getting stranded for many days and being forced to buy a one way ticket to get off the islands.

deltaagent

Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:01 am

You may want to check with a charter type airline for a ticket from Hawaii to the mainland. My husband and I got one-way tickets with 2 days advance for $150 each on SunTrip from Honolulu to San Francisco. This was the Saturday after 9-11. That flight was pretty full also. It sure beat days of HNL standby.

Delta Agent  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:16 pm

Jeez, being stuck in Hawaii, that must suck!!!!

co/ba

Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:15 pm

Continental thru IAH. 2 direct and 1 with a stop in LAX all 767-400.

ripcordd

Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:19 pm

what airline do you work for that makes a big differnce,...i was at the top of the stand by list for stl-maui and barley got on that was in feb i got first both ways but i was first on the stand by list...very difficult for a id-90 to hnl