Continental
Topic Author

Airline's Cargo Bins

Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:42 pm

I live very very close to MSP. I have noticed that there are semi trucks pulling cargo bins that belong to different airlines. To be honest, I have only noticed 2 that have an airline on the bin from a different country. I have seen a bin that has Maersk on it, and a lot that say Hapag-Lloyd. I have also noticed that they were driving pretty close to the premises of the airport. Anyone see these, or know what they are used for?

Continental

DouglasDC8

RE: Airline's Cargo Bins

Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:03 pm

Some shipping companies own and maintain their own shipping containers rather than using containers supplied by an airline. I have only rarely seen these containers. More common than those are the "Envirotainer", which is a specially insulated container used to ship perishable shipments. Envirotainers are owned by the company of the same name and are rented out to shipping companies. The containers you saw were most likely destined for a cargo plane.

co/ba

RE: Airline's Cargo Bins

Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:10 pm

An airline will also give its containers to certain freight forwarding companies who then load the containers and deliver them back to the airline for transport(shiper loaded containers).