jhooper

Aircraft Assigned To Flights

Thu May 02, 2002 1:21 pm

How are specific aircraft assigned to flight routes? As I understand, each plane is not kept on the same route (i.e. JFK-BNA-JFK-BNA-JFK-BNA,etc.) but is usually rotated around the system (i.e. JFK-BNA-MIA-ATL-IAH-LAS-DFW-SEA). With that degree of complexity, how can airlines be sure of having an aircraft available to complete all their flight routes?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

DouglasDC8

RE: Aircraft Assigned To Flights

Thu May 02, 2002 3:30 pm

Airlines design their schedules with computer models that will ensure that, under normal circumstances, there will be airplanes and crews for each flight. In addition, the schedule is constructed so aircraft will be rotated through cities that have maintanence facilities for the normal checks that every aircraft undergoes. When operations are disrupted (due to a large snow-storm for example), the large airlines have computer programs that will re-match crews and aircraft so normal operations may resume. Of course there is also a need for schedulers and crew desk people who will work out any problems that the computers cannot solve.

SJCguy

RE: Aircraft Assigned To Flights

Thu May 02, 2002 3:52 pm

I know some aircraft on long haul flights remain on the same flight line for weeks at a time...for the past couple weeks, AA flight 232 out of SJC has been operated on N303AA...I look every day when it came in and sure enough...

SJCguy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos