Crystal Airways Update

Tue Sep 14, 1999 7:56 am

Tonight I called the number of Crystal Airways, the proposed all first-class start-up carrier operating out of Tampa. Here's what happened:

The first time I called, a man in a deep southern accent answered. I politely asked for a Mr. Timothy Rivers (the CEO of Crystal). He said that it was him. He asked me to hold on, then he hung up on me.

I called back and he groaned, but he was willing to answer a few questions. In the middle, a little boy picked up, his son I guess, and said "Daddy, who is it?". He said "Hang up Now!".

I asked him why the seat on his "pick your seat" page are the same as Delta's Biz Elite. He said that was an example of types of products. Then, I asked him if he thinks a carrier could survive offering first class service to Tampa travelers. Tampa does have a good number of biz travelers, but not enough to warrant a large scale operation. He said "we have found Tampa to be the perfect market".

I asked him where they would operate out of Tampa International. He said they hope to begin operations next year out of Terminal B (non utilzied terminal once used by either Pan Am or Eastern). I asked what renovations would be made. He said none, except for reopening food establishments, etc. I informed him that Terminal B has no jetways attached, no monorails to the main landside terminal, and is completely run down. He said "we are looking into that".

I think that this guy has dreams of running an airline, but they are not realistic. He obviously is planning an airline out of his home, but whether it is real or not I can't say, but I am leaning towards a hoax. This is a dream of his that it is in no way realistic, in my opinion. His phone demeanor was very unprofessional.

Special thanks to Dave "Airbus Boy" for the phone number!

Your comments and opinions are welcomed.

Fly US Airways

It Is Real!

Tue Sep 14, 1999 8:35 am

Crystal Airways is real. But it is not out of Tampa. In the newest flight international there is a paragraph or two about Crystal Airways that wants to operate out of Detriot Michigan with 757-200/300s and 717-200s. Maybe this guy is playing off them?
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Just One Phrase Comes To Mind:

Tue Sep 14, 1999 10:30 am

"There is a sucker born every minute"

RE: Crystal Airways Update

Tue Sep 14, 1999 10:37 am

Any way you can email me the phone number for this guy? I think I used to know him in a previous airline life.

I can be reached at

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Tue Sep 14, 1999 10:51 am

I do not believe this to true. I think he hopes to do it some day. He does not even have a business plan yet. And CX747 it only takes rumors to get into one of those magazines. Most of them are speculation. But he might be playing around with ideas of where to fly to.

Tue Sep 14, 1999 10:55 pm

I am sorry I should say Aircraft Ilustrated. It had a blurb on Crystal Airways which is out of Michigan. I also think that this guy is a hoax.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Wed Sep 15, 1999 12:34 am

This is a very elaborate hoax. My question is, Who would finance a start-up airline with brand new aircraft?

Wed Sep 15, 1999 4:57 am

Someone with a lot of money!   jetBlue comes to mind

Thu Sep 16, 1999 8:06 am

I think if this is real (which I doubt). It will make no profit, and will probably
go out of buisness in a short period of time, Whoever is planning this isnt the
smartest cookie, but I guess he will get hit real hard when he is losing money faster than anything.

Where's Tim At Crystal?

Fri Sep 17, 1999 10:06 am

Tim: I know you from my past life and I hope Crystal is a sucsess.E mail me and let me know how to get hold of you.