Bruce
Topic Author

Just Curious

Tue Sep 14, 1999 11:35 am

Have you ever been on a flight and actually SEEN the space shuttle approaching/or blasting off from Florida? I know the FAA & NASA keep air traffic away from the Cape area but you can see a takeoff many many miles away on the ground.. As for the approach you can see it from the ground when it is 5 miles higher than a jet so I wonder if anyone's actually seen it go by inflight. Man, what an awesome sight THAT would be!!!
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Buff

RE: Just Curious

Tue Sep 14, 1999 12:08 pm

I've seen the shuttle launch from St. Pete's beach, on the other side of Florida from The Cape. I was flying several years later during a launch window, looking for it, but the launch was scrubbed. I would have seen it!

I saw the Concorde overfly me a couple of months ago. We were doing M0.80 - he was doing M2.0. Needless to say, I didn't see him for long!

Best Regards,

Buff

OPNLguy

RE: Just Curious

Tue Sep 14, 1999 1:09 pm

I've had the good fortune to catch shuutles from the air twice...

The first time was from the cockpit jumpseat on a MIA-DCA flight. The normal overwater routes were closed for the launch and they had us routed up over DAB, JAX, SAV, etc. and we saw the launch from about 60nm away. Awesome!

The second time was enroute SAT-LAX climbing through FL240. There it was below us at 17,000 on the back of the 747, heading for Ellington Field near Houston. Looked sorta strange looking *down* on it..

We had one come over the DFW area a few weeks ago and it left a yellowish-green contrail that looked a little surreal. You could hear it too.. About 10:30 pm.... Cool!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Bruce
Topic Author

RE: OPNLguy

Tue Sep 14, 1999 9:31 pm

that one over Dallas must have been the last one that landed...from Dallas it came over New Orleans and the gulf coast headed to Florida. Lots of people saw it from the ground in New Orleans and here in Gulfport but i didn't because i didn't know it would take this path and I didn't look for it !
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens