Ruscoe
Topic Author

A380 & The Environment

Mon May 06, 2002 8:30 am

Lets not hear any more about Airbus being an environmentally friendly organisation.
I just read in F.I. that 300 acres of wetland of the River Elbe Hamburg have been reclaimed to build an A380 assembly building.
An added problem for Airbus is that this folly will be there for all to see one generation after another.
Ruscoe

BlatantEcho

RE: A380 & The Environment

Mon May 06, 2002 9:37 am

Just like any generation, compromises must be made.

I am sure Airbus has established the money or land for at least 10 times the wetland they are using to be rehabilitated elsewhere.

Needless pollution and destruction is one thing. This is not that, this is progress. Instead of 2 747's pumping exhaust into the air, we have only one A380. That reduces pollution by a ton, and guess what, it forces to Boeing to make an even more fuel efficent and environmentally friendly aircraft.

Please consider the rest of the people in the world who will benefit from a reduction in pollution in the air they breathe before you cry foul. 300 localized wetlands are being used for something that will ultimetly hearld a new generation of fuel efficent and less polluting aircraft.

Please think of all of us around the world when you make such pointed statments as these.

Regards,
George
They're not handing trophies out today

AA737-823

Mon May 06, 2002 1:45 pm

It is an unfortunate loss.

However, I would suggest that if one does not like the environmental consequences of building an airplane, one should not fly on them.

PW100

Mon May 06, 2002 8:09 pm

I don't think it was Airbus that wanted the wetland to be reclaimed. I think this was decided by the German authorities, and the Hamburg municipality in particular, who wanted to protect thousands of jobs.
From commercial perspective, Airbus much rather wanted this site to be at Toulouse to reduce logistical lines. So it might be somewhat shortsighted to blame Airbus and the A380 for this.

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

backfire

Mon May 06, 2002 8:54 pm

You just read this?

This was a row that broke out months ago, ended up in court with the environmentalists, huge campaign, etc...

Sounds like the environmental lobby isn't getting through to its audience.

Stratofish

Mon May 06, 2002 10:33 pm

To get the facts straight:

-Airbus says it needs the wetland area in order to build its new production site.

-There is an alternate wetlandarea being created which is roughly about 2.5 times the original size.

-The "Mühlenberger Loch", as the area is called is manmade. The Nazis wanted a site for amphibian aircraft sometime shortly before WW2. So it´s not even a natural space.

-Not all of the area will be used, so it´s really a VERY small price to pay and get all those jobs in return. I´m pro environment also but this will not harm that much.

-Most of those who are against the expansion of Airbus only fear that their real estate prices mayl drop.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way