flyvs007

E-Tickets And Exit Seats

Tue May 07, 2002 6:23 am

Hi

A general query here, relating to e-tickets. I always like to get to the airport nice and early o bag my exit seat. However, I see that Virgin are now only offering e-tickets for their trans-atlantic flights.

So this might sound a bit stupid, but if I'm assigned a seat with the e-ticket, am I right in assuming that I can always just change that for an exit seat when I check-in?

Rick767

RE: E-Tickets And Exit Seats

Tue May 07, 2002 6:27 am

Yes you should just be able to change when you check in with most airlines, subject to availability.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Leezyjet

Tue May 07, 2002 7:29 am

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem provided you are suitable or the seats are available. On most airlines, it is not possible to pre-assign e-exit seats, as the check-in agent needs to assess that the passenger would be able to operate the exit in an emergency.

The way I was taught how to remember who could NOT sit there, was with the acronym - CODPIE.

C = Children
O = Obese
D = Disabled
P = Pregnant
I = Infirm
E = Elderly.

Enjoy

Leezyjet.
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

FrequentFlyKid

Tue May 07, 2002 9:38 am

Delta is allowing you to choose an exit seat online and at their e-ticket kiosk's. I wish all airlines would allow you to view and change your seat online as Delta does. That's a real plus for them....

CV990A

Tue May 07, 2002 12:19 pm

I had an e-ticket when I flew Virgin and was NOT able to change seats when I got to my airport of origin- I had to wait until I got to LHR for my connecting flight before they'd let me switch my seat. It was actually kinda frustrating because I tried to do this over the phone, and was told I'd have to do it when I got to JFK, but at JFK they said I could only do it at LHR. At least the agent at LHR was friendly about it.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

flyvs007

Tue May 07, 2002 5:52 pm

So changing at Heathrow won't be a problem, but maybe at LAX?

Wed May 08, 2002 12:04 am

speaking from a Travel Agent's point of view and experience with this matter... a ticket is a ticket whether it's electronic or paper, the allocation of exit-row seats is usually governed by the amount of the ticket and the level at which one's Frequent-Flyer account has reached (i/e Advantage Gold or higher, Delta Medallion or higher etc..) as well as the rules a particular Airline has placed on the assigning of these seats whether it be allowed in advance or strictly at the airport. Sounds cut and dry right? WRONG!

Every carrier bends their own rules (.. some to the point of breaking) so, IMHO, it boils down to A.) the competence level and/or disposition of the representative you conversed with - Res and/or Travel Agents included- and B.) one's ability to be persistent and not accept an unreasonable answer.

The requlations that the FAA (for U.S.) put forth mandate that those seated at exit rows be of a certain age group, physical ability and willingness to take on some responsibility should need arise. None of which can effectively be determined IN ADVANCE.

The bottom line of this narrative being, getting an exit row seat is up to God and even he/she has probably been given a false answer.  Wink/being sarcastic