US Media Bias Against Airbus?

Wed May 08, 2002 1:33 am

I got this thought after hearing about the Egyptair crash a couple of minutes ago. RIP all those that might have perished. But there is another topic that deals with that, so to my observation:

CNN broke the news by saying that an Airbus 737-500 had crashed(!!)
Now it is still not known what the plane was, but even so, this is pathetic. What makes it even more disturbing is the fact that the general American public who doesn't know that much about aviation actually thinks that Airbus means something like Concorde, a single type of plane. They do not know that there are many different types of planes in the Airbus product range. With Boeing, at least everyone knows that the 747 is distinct from anything else out there. So when a newsflash like this comes out, they immediately think aloud, "OMG another Airbus crashed, those planes are not safe". The girl that lives next door in my dorm actually said this a couple of minutes ago...

I think this is totally fuelled by the US media (specifically CNN). Keep in mind the AA A300 crash a couple of months back. Ever since that was reported as an "Airbus Jet has crashed in Queens", they haven't quit doing the same thing. When people think of that accident and what happened today, they are bound to make a connection. Also, the whole issue of whether or not to ground the 300 and the AA pilots' letters etc. was reported in headlines as follows : "ground the Airbus now!".

This is really very damaging for Airbus and the companies that fly their planes. The average person with no knowledge about planes is now scared of flying any kind of Airbus, I'm willing to bet that at travel agents and stuff people decide to change their plans if they hear that the plane is an Airbus 3ZX.

I might get flamed for this part, but does anyone think this might be some kind of deliberate 'mistake'? After all, you don't see the BBC doing the same...?

Note: To their credit, CNN fixed that idiotic error within 10 minutes.

RE: US Media Bias Against Airbus?

Wed May 08, 2002 1:39 am

Ok now I see that as I typed this post, some doubt has been raised about whether the plane chrashed at all. Before any of you may assault me for commenting on something that is so uncertain at this point, I want to make it clear that it doesn't change a thing about my original post, CNN still reported that.

I do hope it is only a crash landing without casualties.

tailfin

Wed May 08, 2002 1:51 am

r.i.p.

I do remember the time the A300-600 American Airlines crashed, CNN reported it was a Boeing 767, then an Airbus 767 for a time. It could be said they just aren't expert in a/c types, which doesn't bother 99% of the population. Although 'Airbus' sticks more than '767' in the mind, in that case it was one. And reports that came out into the crash have said the problem lay in lack of pilot training in understanding the effect of large rudder movements...that this could have happened any aircraft type, Boeing, Airbus, XXX, YYY, ZZZ.....
rgds

ual777contrail

Wed May 08, 2002 2:00 am

It'S SAD TO SEE YOU'LL BE LOSING sleep on such a crazy topic. who cares if they call all planes airbus, those on this site know the diffrence.

europeans favor airbus, we as americans pretty much favor boeing.it's more of a loyalty thing.

and yes i know that in a few minutes someone will leave a post saying no were not but yes we favor boeing.

everett wa,
i hope this doesnt ruin your day, because of the stupidity on CNN

ual 777 contrail

travelin man

Wed May 08, 2002 2:11 am

Sorry, but I don't think it's bias. News writers just don't know jack about aircraft. I remember on 9/11 when CNN was saying that it was a 747 that crashed in Pennsylvania. It doesn't mean CNN had something against Boeing.

b757300

Wed May 08, 2002 2:31 am

The media is stupid. If you go back and read the long thread about AA 587, you will see it is first called a Boeing 767. Then when it turned out to be an A300-600, it was first a Boeing A300, then a Boeing Airbus A300. They also said it was a hijacking, a bomb, and a SAM all within 30 minutes. Later once it was realized that it was an accident, the media provided a few more examples of how dumb they really are.

"The A300 is a fly-by-wire aircraft"
"Airbus FBW aircraft are known to crash for no reason."
"GE CF6 engines are notorious for causing many airline crashes."
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

MD88Captain

Wed May 08, 2002 2:37 am

Assigning a "media bias" against Airbus products would make the assumption that the Press knows the difference between an Airbus and a Boeing. They do not. They know NOTHING about aviation and they prove it every day.

DC10GUY

Wed May 08, 2002 2:40 am

The media is only intrested in getting headlines that sell ... they could care less about things like facts . The Don Henley song comes to mind here... "they can tell you about the plane crash with a gleem in thier eye" CNN's 1st. care is advertising, facts are distant 2nd
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

McRingRing

Wed May 08, 2002 3:00 am

The media is stupid

OK, genius. It's "the media ARE..." The word "media" is plural.

Don't start calling people / things stupid when you yourself can't even type correctly.

For those of you who don't understand breaking news, I'll break it down for ya.

The media receive information about a story. Usually it's just a blurb on the wire. No real details because no one knows the details. Details start coming in. A lot of the time it's speculation. Sometimes it's wrong. Generally the news is that something happened. But all the nerds here are too caught up in details like what type of plane crashed. Those details will come in eventually, but they're not the essence of the story. Here's the kicker. The media rely on information from other people. People make mistakes. Just ask B757300. Dude can't even write.  Sad

But I don't see anyone blaming the people who give them the information. I guess they're just not visible targets and it's not "cool" to criticize them.

It's unfortunate that these things happen. It would be great if they didn't. Usually there's no time to research the facts of a breaking story like a plane crash and members of the media are not airplane experts, nor should they be. Just try to think about your friends who aren't into airplanes trying to figure out what airplane is what and the difference between Airbus and Boeing.

To be quite honest, I'm perfectly happy knowing something happened and waiting for the details later.

You people expect the big bad media to know everything. Well they don't and they never will. But cry on people...
B==============) ~~~~

McRingRing

Wed May 08, 2002 3:13 am

Sorry, it's the plural form of "medium."

media
SYLLABICATION: me·di·a
PRONUNCIATION: md-
NOUN: A plural of medium. See Usage Note at medium.

From the American Heritage Dictionary

this link may work

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entries/82/m0188200.html

A valiant effort.  Smile
B==============) ~~~~

donder10

Wed May 08, 2002 4:34 am

Latin 3rd declension neuter nouns are like that.

Super Em

Wed May 08, 2002 5:02 am

The media has no idea about the airlines and airplanes. Everyone hear on this site knows that the media has made great blunders when it comes to aviation news

travelin man

Wed May 08, 2002 5:12 am

While I hate to get into the middle of a grammar war, I found this at http://www.dictionary.com

pl. media
A means of mass communication, such as newpapers, magazines, radio, or television.
media (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The group of journalists and others who constitute the communications industry and profession.

So it looks like you can use either "is" or "are". Hope this helps!

ual777contrail

Wed May 08, 2002 5:15 am

mcringring,
you must be part of the media,because people vent about an airline or a company such as boeing or airbus.that doesnt mean that they always need to be corrected.you are one of the most anal individuals i have ever read on this web site.

you need to take a deep breath and chill out.
dont show you ass like that on the web site.

not everyone on this site is a college graduate. most are probably still in high school,but for whatever reason dont be such an ass.if someone has an opinion of something let em speak.i think the media brings us crap imfo all the time,doesnt mean i stop bying the newpaper.

breath, your turning purple again

ual 777 contrail

donder10

Wed May 08, 2002 5:15 am

Ok Im going to open my 'piehole' again if thats ok  Smile The media today is effectively 1 medium in a sense.

McRingRing

Wed May 08, 2002 5:26 am

Ual777contrail: you're worrying so much about me and what I say and I'm the one who needs to chill  Confused

If someone is going to make a broad derogatory statement about something they know nothing about, they should be corrected.

"The media is stupid." Think about it...

I noticed you use no capital letters at the beginning of your sentences. I will comment on that, too.  Smile

I don't know if I'd call it one medium. With newspapers, television, radio, Internet... of course, they're all controlled by the same companies so I guess you could say that. Big grin
B==============) ~~~~

DELTA777

Wed May 08, 2002 5:43 am

typical of CNN, thats why I don`t watch them. And apparently I`m not alone.

D E L T A 7 7 7

donder10

Wed May 08, 2002 5:50 am

Md88captain makes a good point.Saying an Airbus 737-500 crashed in Tunisia is probabrly not an intentional mistake by any means.

Areopagus

Topic: RE: US Media Bias Against Airbus?

Wed May 08, 2002 5:51 am

The media today is effectively 1 medium in a sense.

Right. It is a herd of independent minds.  Big grin

D L X

Mcringring (off Topic)

Wed May 08, 2002 6:23 am

Mcringring,
in American English, groups, even if their names are plural forms of the words can be used with singular or plural verbs. In Britain and other English speaking countries, this isn't always the case.

In American:
"The media is stupid" and "The media are stupid" are both acceptable.
"Boeing is going to produce a new airplane" is acceptable.

In British English:
"The media are stupid" is preferred.
"Boeing are going to produce a new airplane" is preferred. (I think...)

NWA742

Wed May 08, 2002 6:47 am

This is not surprising at all. Just like B757300 said, mistakes like this are made all the time, and for both Boeing and Airbus.

Boeing A300
Boeing Airbus 300
Boeing 767 A300

etc etc etc

NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Arsenal@LHR

Wed May 08, 2002 8:15 am

I don't think the media in the US is biased against airbus, why should they? i see no reason. The plain and simple fact is: the media (throughout the world) know absolutely jack sh*t about aviation.

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

McRingRing

Wed May 08, 2002 11:14 am

D L X, please take some English / writing classes and get back to me. "Media" along with "criteria," "data" and other plural nouns that don't end with an "s" are STILL PLURAL!!

I know this even though I did learn in the US. Maybe people THINK it's acceptable because we are too lazy to learn the right way. That doesn't make it correct.
B==============) ~~~~

IMissPiedmont

Wed May 08, 2002 11:18 am

I'll throw my two cents in on this. I'vee seen our own so called "experts" on this site refer to Boeing MD-11s. I realize that it is a slightly stronger argument than an Airbus 737-500, but I still say the MD-11 is a McDonnell Douglas.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

brons2

Wed May 08, 2002 2:17 pm

quote....

"I'll throw my two cents in on this. I'vee seen our own so called "experts" on this site refer to Boeing MD-11s. I realize that it is a slightly stronger argument than an Airbus 737-500, but I still say the MD-11 is a McDonnell Douglas."

The MD-11 continued to be produced by Boeing for three years after the Boeing-McDonnell Douglas merger.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

paulc

Wed May 08, 2002 3:37 pm

I remember seeing in a Qantas timetable some years ago that the A300 were listed as Boeing A300 - This aircraft were inherited from TAA and as Qantas were (and still are) all Boeing did not want to highlight any fleet differences
English First, British Second, european Never!

D L X

Mcringring (off Topic 2)

Thu May 09, 2002 4:08 am

"D L X, please take some English / writing classes and get back to me."

Mcringring, please actually look at the dictionary sites others have provided on this thread. You'll note that they all say in American English, many plural nouns that represent a collective group (such as 'media,' 'the press,' 'the government,' etc.) can be used with singular or plural verbs correctly. Are you saying you are correct, and Mr. Webster is wrong?

(BTW, I have two degrees from an "elite" university. I've taken plenty English/writing classes, and English and writing are now part of the job I do day in and day out. I think I know what I'm talking about.)

srbmod

Thu May 09, 2002 4:34 am

All of the McDonnell-Douglas jets are now referred to with the Boeing name added to them. So now there is the Boeing DC/MD-10, the Boeing DC-9, the Boeing MD-11, the Boeing MD-80/82/83/87/88/90, and yes the Boeing DC-8. The only MDD jet not to suffer this fate is the MD-95, renamed the Boeing 717.

McRingRing

Thu May 09, 2002 5:58 am

OK, according to Mr. Merriam and Mr. Webster:

usage:

The singular media and its plural medias seem to have originated in the field of advertising over 50 years ago; they are apparently still so used without stigma in that specialized field. In most other applications media is used as a plural of medium. The great popularity of the word in references to the agencies of mass communication is leading to the formation of a mass noun, construed as a singular there's no basis for it. You know, the news media gets on to something -- Edwin Meese 3d> . This use is not as well established as the mass-noun use of data and is likely to incur criticism especially in writing.

So what do you do for a living?

You can see for yourself here http://www.m-w.com/

I'll consider this closed.
B==============) ~~~~

D L X

Thu May 09, 2002 8:30 am

Counterpoint:

From the American Heritage Dictionary:
"Usage Note: ... ·People also use media with the definite article as a collective term to refer not to the forms of communication themselves so much as the communities and institutions behind them. In this sense, the media means something like “the press.” Like other collective nouns, it may take a singular or plural verb depending on the intended meaning. ..." Read more at http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=media .

Clearly, many people, including some who write dictionaries, think that "The media is stupid" is a well formed sentence grammatically. Do you write dictionaries for a living?

(I'm an engineer. I write technical papers as part of my job.)

"I'll consider this closed."
Fine by me. Seems to me like you're the only one who's mind is closed to this idea. It is well off topic though. If you care to discuss it (and perhaps other ways how American English is shifting) I think the non-aviation forum would be a better place for it. If you care to start it, I think it would be an interesting thread.

UALPHLCS

Thu May 09, 2002 11:54 pm

Not to interupped this fascinating grammar topic, but let talk about the media's bias. The media is not intentionally bias. The media is lazy. TV news in particular. As someone who used to work in Radio, I know that in a rush to be the first w/ the story facts are not checked as they are in other mediums i.e. newspapers.

On September, 11th I was stuck at ORD. I was at the training center watching TV while the news was occuring. I don't recall listening to the inane ramblings of people who didn't know what was going on any more than I did. I just watched.

TV is visual. Look at it for the images don't exspect the content to be any good. These people are trained to get good pictures not accurate facts. And they don't know or care if the airplane is a Boeing or and Airbus or a Piper. They are just disappointed they didn't get a fireball on tape. They are trying to top the other guys pictures.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

D L X

Fri May 10, 2002 2:13 am

Uggh.

"Seems to me like you're the only one who's [sic] mind is closed to this idea. "

Of course, I would lose some credibility by making a grammatical mistake here, wouldn't I?  Smile I hate that word.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos