spinkid

USAirways Cuts More Flights At FLL

Fri May 10, 2002 3:44 am

maybe this has already been discussed. But I was reading in the Miami Herald.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/business/3225189.htm

USAirways will drop down to 15 daily flights in June at Fort Lauderdale. They claim it is a seasonal adjustment, but with the elimination of Metrojet. They have very little service to Fort Lauderdale now. Plans call for the complete discontinuation of service to LaGuardia.

I also read recently that they dropped their BWI-LAX service at the same time Southwest announced theirs.

usairways85

RE: USAirways Cuts More Flights At FLL

Fri May 10, 2002 7:08 am

what is going on? usairways used to send many planes to florida and now like practically cut their operation in half. i wonder if any other airline will pick up the empty slots, because i am sure the demand is there. possibly airtran adding flts from phl and bwi to florida dest.

Fri May 10, 2002 7:09 am

Sad.

I think FLL-LGA is only 1x daily now anyway. Terminal 3 has got to be so empty, its a shame.

MAH4546

Fri May 10, 2002 7:22 am

It is dissapotining. They are also cutting one daily MIA-PIT run, but that is all Miami is loosing. At FLL, AA and WN will pick up the slack. Both are planning schedule expansions this fall. AA has done a nice job making FLL a nice alternative to MIA.
a.

dutchjet

Fri May 10, 2002 7:24 am

I guess all that remains is service to the 3 US hubs, CLT, PIT and PHL.....I think that this is US's new strategy, to focus on hub flying and cut back on direct routes. With that said, it is surprising to see the LGA-FLL route be dropped, its one of the biggest domestic routes in terms of passengers.

With CO/NW/HP and soon Southwest at the new terminal 1, and Detla and company at terminal 2, FLL terminal 3 needs some new tenants.....it will just be AA including TW, US (with less flights) and UA at terminal 3; maybe some of the terminal 4 occupants will move over?

Is it time for one of the big guys to make their move at FLL?

Fri May 10, 2002 7:37 am

I think I heard Spirit is going to move from T4 to T3 and take some of the empty gates, which would be great for them. Give them some room to set up a nice shop.

JetBlue will continue adding at FLL especially when the second concourse at T1 opens soon.

TNNH

padcrasher

Fri May 10, 2002 7:58 am

A big guy is in FLL. DL has 35 mainline departures almost half of which are 767-300/400s.

USAFHummer

Fri May 10, 2002 8:16 am

hmm...in summer they (US) usually cut back on flights but in winter it roars back with loads more flights and higher capacity birds like 757-200's...in summer its mostly 737-400's from PHL...I do fly US to FLL often but since I dont go there over the summers usually this wont affect me too much...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru