Kriske
Topic Author

VG Finaly Ready For Take Off

Sat May 11, 2002 11:24 pm

On VG website they have the official flight schedule of their New York flight.

Flight IV001

Brussels(Bru)-New York(JFK)

departure 11.30
arrival 14.15

Flight IV002

New York(JFK)-Brussels(BRU)

departure 18.30
arrival 8.30(next day)

Nice to see another Belgian airline takes the sky.
And wish VG and their staff all the best

Sabena 690

RE: VG Finaly Ready For Take Off

Sun May 12, 2002 1:45 am

Hello Kriske,

Finally, after long waiting and speculating, they are ready for take off  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

But I am a bit worried about the planned expansion. 3 new aircrafts. And with the financial structure they have...

Good luck VG Airlines!!!

Regards,
Frederic

CO 757-300

Sun May 12, 2002 2:04 am

when does the service actually start?

Scorpio

Sun May 12, 2002 2:11 am

first flight to JFK is scheduled for May 23rd.

Kriske
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2002 2:36 am

sabena 690
It worries me to , i can't imangine that they find enough destinations and peolple to make a profit.
I think they can make a profit with New York and Boston.
But i doubt they can make a profit on Los Angeles without the deal with Armenia. Maybe Montreal or Miami could be good destinations. I think they better wait with their expansion. First make the New York and Boston flights profitable. And then take the next step.
Does someone now when their 3 th plane will arrive?

Sabena 690

Sun May 12, 2002 2:44 am

About New York

This destination is served two-three times a day from Brussels:

1) CO to EWR
2) DL to JFK
3) about two-three times a week: BG

You can say: Sabena had two additional flights. Yes, but Sabena had a feeder market. Pax came from destinations like Finnland, Poland, ... to fly to NY via Brussels.

VG Airlines has no feeder market. Rumours say that they are in talks with VEX, but nothing is confirmed about that. VEX itself is also in talks with Easyjet. Maybe they can feed their NY flight with pax coming from Kopenhagen, ...

Than, the Boston flight. Boston was a destination with a low yield for Sabena. SN needed transit passengers to fill their aircrafts on this destination. Were is VG going to find pax for their Boston flight? You cannot fill a plane in Belgium just with Belgian pax. You need a big feeder market. VG has no big feeder market.

Than: LA. Forget it without Armenian Airlines.

The other 3 destinations: Miami will probably be a new destination. Miami is very profitable for Swiss in economy, but again, Swiss has a feeder market. Were is Freddy, or better said Tony, going to get his pax??

I highly doubt the rendability of the whole project.

But I hope the best for them.

Regards,
Frederic

airDD

Sun May 12, 2002 2:57 am

Citybird had the same business plan, they flew to LAX, OAK, MIA, JFK and even LAS for a while.

But it didn't last, their fares where extremely cheap and they even offered connecting flights in BRU via SN for their American PAX.

I still hope they will fly to LAX, the Belgian community in LA is looking forward to this flight but 4 times a week might be too much; once or twice a week could work. The US westcoast-BRU routes have always be neglected by the major carriers. Connecting via the US east coast add 50 % to the travel time.
If DUS can support a weekly charter like direct flight to LAX, BRU could too !! KLM just added a 2nd daily flight to LAX and AF has now 3 daily flight to LA.

airDD

Kriske
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2002 3:08 am

well you are right about thinking that the whole vg project is not going to be easy.
But you can't really compare vg with sn.
Wages and lease cost are a lot lower at vg , so a flight that would be losmaking for sn could be profitable for vg.
Don't forget that New York made money for sn untill they put a third flight to New York ,the one to EWR.
And i don't think that there where a lot of transit passengers on the New York flights.
You're probably right about Boston , i flew sn last september to boston and the flight was full with Germans.
I think they can get a lot of passengers if they work with the travel industrie. I know all those tourist are low yield , but because their cost are lower they can make a profit on them.

cedarjet

Sun May 12, 2002 3:13 am

The Armenia thing is bullshit. Yes there is a big Armenian population on the west coast but these are not people born in Yerevan, for the most part they have never been to Armenia and have no real contact with the old country. I can't believe there would be more than a couple of LA-Yerevan passengers a week.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Kriske
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2002 3:24 am

Well the idea about the whole deal is that armenian airlines would buy 70 % of the seats .
But i think the whole deal is very strange.
I think if the whole deal falls through.
They better wait with the flights to La and use the plane for flights to Tel Aviv.
Tel Aviv would be a good decision because of the trade relations between Israel and Belgium and the large jewish population in Belgium.

Sabena 690

Sun May 12, 2002 5:07 am

Kriske,

Can you fill an A332 to Tel Aviv?

Ok, a plane doesn't have to be sold out to be profitable, but were are you going to get 240 pax for that flight.

If you want to be profitable to Tel Aviv, you have to code share with LY.
Even LY has lot's of difficulties to fill their planes on the BRU-TLV route now, since they lost the code share with Sabena.
I think that in the future, there will be a code share between SNBA and LY. A code share between LY and VG would be totally uninteresting for LY, also because they have their own strong network. They don't need VG.

Regards,
Frederic

manni

Sun May 12, 2002 5:41 am

Ofcourse you can fill an A330-200 between Tel Aviv and Brussels. Moreover passengers from Tel Aviv will fill up the planes to Boston and Miami aswell. Tel Aviv is the ideal place to get your passengers from for connecting flights to the US.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

Sabena 690

Sun May 12, 2002 5:47 am

Hey Manni,

And LY than? Do you think that LY will let this all happen?

1) LY has also a strong network

2) Because TLV is so far away, and because you must have a lower price to compete with LY, this will result in an incredible low yield.
Is it that what VG needs?

They need very profitable flights to survive now.
Within some years they can maybe open a TLV-BRU route, but I think that SNBA and LY will already code share than. And SNBA will have an American partner at that time. So...

Regards,
Frederic

Established02

Sun May 12, 2002 5:53 am

> use the plane for flights to Tel Aviv.

Despite the collapse of Sabena, I doesn't seem that LY has stronly increased their capacity to BRU. Occassionally I see LY at BRU with 767/757/737.

Wouldn't it be a challenge to (optimally) schedule the A332 for a few medium haul flights (TLV) in between long haul flights (USA)?

dutchjet

Sun May 12, 2002 6:15 am

I agree with the comments concerning TLV, VG would have a better chance with service to TLV and it could also offer connections from the US gateways via BRU to TLV. Sabena had a good niche in the US-Israel market and the Belgium-Israel market is a strong one that is currently underserved. Even with all of the trouble in the middle east, traffic to Israel seems to be holding up.
Remember, SN flew the Sobelair 763 on the BRU-TLV route with about 250 seats which were generally occupied.

I think the VG flight to JFK will work - the CO and DL flights are running pretty full, the yields are quite good, and on CO, the number of disount tickets is very limited and BusinessFirst is usually quite full. The NYC-BRU market is a bit underserved since SN pulled out (as did AA and TW before it) and also remember US terminated its flights to PHL.

The flights to Boston may or may not work, SN served BOS for years so I guess that there is a market; of course, as stated, without connections at either end it may be difficult.

Citybird had no real success with its BRU to West Coast services, and the Florida flights were quite busy but with very low fare customers. I am not sure how VG plans to pull this off........why would the flights now be successful in these more difficult times? I am surprised that Montreal was not considered as an initial destination as it has been said that Montreal was a success for Sabena.

Six planes......seems optimistic to me, lets see the first flights take off first.

Concerning BRU, anything new on the SBNA/CO or SBNA/AA code-share deals that were hot topics a couple of weeks ago?

LJ

Sun May 12, 2002 6:37 am

Anyway, one VG A330 is already generating cash as an adhoc sublease for HLN and if all doesn't turn out as planned they can always sub lease one of their aircraft to another carrier.

BTW isn't SN Brussels interested in a deal with VG?

Regards
Laurens

Sabena 690

Sun May 12, 2002 4:35 pm

Hello Laurens,

No, I don't think so.
VG Airlines is interested in Virgin Express.

By the way, I remember me something that Pressclub said here a week ago:

If he asked to Rob Kuypers if he was interested in a deal with Freddy Van Gaever, Rob Kuypers said: "Van Gaever? Who is Freddy Van Gaever"?

This says enough...

Regards,
Frederic

manni

Sun May 12, 2002 6:13 pm

Sabena690,

LY is genneraly more expensive than other carriers, due to high security costs. Sabena operated, like mentioned before, Sobelairs 767-300 aircraft on the BRU-TLV route aswell as the A320/321. When Sabena was still around they had many passengers coming from Israel connecting to the US. In fact their evening flight to JFK was on some days filled up with jewish passengers, either local or from Israel. Today we still see many passengers coming from Israel connecting in BRU on DL or CO to the US. There are only 2 airlines at the moment flying direct between Israel and the US (LY and CO) leaving plenty of passengers available. I believe that their is suffucient potential in Belgium and Idrael to support 4 or 5 flights a week to TLV, especially on fridays, saturdays and sundays.

PS, Anyone an idea if VG intends to fly to Asia, perhaps in the not so distant future? I would really like to see NRT being served again from BRU.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

Sabena 690

Sun May 12, 2002 7:40 pm

Thanks for the info Manni  Smile

I think that Freddy ever said in an interview that it was stupid that Sabena had dropped the NRT flight.

If Freddy sees a market in LA, why shouldn't he see one in NRT, or even in Johannesburg!

Doesn't he need an A340 for Japan?

Regards,
Frederic

pressclub

Sun May 12, 2002 7:44 pm

guys,

There exist some nice graphics about the profitability of the former LH network of Sabena. (SN 690, you can find it in a recent publication  Smile)

x only BOS was profitable on the transatlantic

x Tokyo made a loss of about 500 mil belgian francs !!! due to the weak yen/dollar situation...

x I shall continue writing this: it's not only important to find pax, it's also important to find pax that pay money for the ticket and the break even loadfactor !!!!

pressclub

Sun May 12, 2002 7:46 pm

With a 330 you will have range problems when flying to Tokyo or heavy load restrictions.

Sabena 690

Sun May 12, 2002 7:53 pm

SN 690, you can find it in a recent publication  Smile

Really Pressclub?? Big grin

x only BOS was profitable on the transatlantic

Aha, I thought that Boston was loss-making, and that JFK the only profitable transatlantic destination was.

Thanks and regards,
Frederic

pressclub

Sun May 12, 2002 8:14 pm

SN 690,

How could JFK be profitable for Sabena??? : there was/is a lot of competition on this market (DL, Co, BG, ...) and don't forget the offers from AF / LH / BA.

Also Sabena attracted transfer pax and these transfer pax don't give you nice revenues. Pax you transfer you have to take away from the competition: this you can only do with the right schedule and with low rates.

I am affraid we will not find more than 500 people in Belgium on a DAILY BASE who want to travel to NY. Don't forget you have to make money not with the Y class but with the front of the aircraft.

Don't think i want to bash VG airlines. I am just realistic. I am really affraid that VG will not find these C class pax:

x they don't have an interesting loyalty program like STAR alliance for example has

x They don't offer the service Co offers: limousine drive to Brussels airport for free

x they don't have schedule choices

x they don't have connecting possibilities

x they don't have advertizing campaigns until now: how the US travellers will be aware of the existence of VG? Don't forget that the US market is for revenues more important than the Belgian or European (americans pay 20 to 30 pct more for the tickets than Europeans do)

x most of the multinationals make commercial agreements with airlines in the beginning of the year: so they will not switch to VG in the middle of the year

x VG Airlines is not yet an IATA recognized airline: especially American companies will have doubts with an airline that is not IATA

x Companies and multinationals prefer 'one stop shopping': this means that they only want to work together with one airline for their travel needs. As VG is not part of a global alliance i doubt that they have the answer for this trend. That's the reason why SN Brussels is looking for an alliance and for partners.

slz396

Sun May 12, 2002 8:32 pm

Just one figure coming from an audit commisioned by Sabena last summer.

Sabena needed a loadfactor of 120% to break even on Tokyo an Jo'burg!!!

Even with the lower cost basis at SN or VG you can easily predict you still need a very high loadfactor (90 % at least) which is not realistic nowadays.
That's exactly why SN currently has no plans to include Jo'burg to their African destinations and I must say I do praise them for this sound decision.

Pressclub is right:
loadfactor is an indication of how attractive a route is to the passengers, but the yield is the indication of how attractive a route is for the airline.

pressclub

Sun May 12, 2002 8:38 pm

HI SLZ,

I fully agree with you.

For a publication i did a lot of research during the last months on the route network of Sabena. Jobourg was so lossmaking due to the low yield but also due to the fact this route was operated by a very expensive MD 11 (you know, the City Bird drylease contract...)

Sun May 12, 2002 9:31 pm

And Nationwide reckon they can make JNB-BRU pay?  Big grin  Nuts

skippy777

RE: VG Finally Ready For Take Off

Sun May 12, 2002 11:32 pm

Good luck Vg Airlines, I will be flying with them most likely to LA for our survey. I hope that they can perform aswell as SN. I sure hope that the qualities improve for the BC traveler

gaut

Mon May 13, 2002 12:27 am

Pressclub

"only BOS was profitable on the transatlantic"

What about YUL. I 've been 3 times to YUL with SN (I love Quebec) and the flights were full. What about the yield on this route?

Gaut
«Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.»

pressclub

Mon May 13, 2002 12:35 am

The result of YUL was very seasonal and Sabena didn't find enough C class pax for this flight. Result: loss making

slz396

Mon May 13, 2002 1:27 am

The last businessplan of Sabena -made by Ch. Müller in July/August last year- aimed at refocussing Sabena solely on its home market Europe and it's traditional stronghold the African market.

If executed, Sabena would have dropped (even despite the high load factors) all its loss making routes like:
in Europe: Naples, Valencia, Faro, Malaga, Budapest, Sofia, Buckarest, Belfast etc...
No more Asian destinations: byebye Tokyo and Madras.
And no more American destinations, except for BOS (slightly profitable) and 1 of the 2 NY flights (in the hope that this reduction in capacity would make the remaining flight profitable)
Also a few unprofitable African destinations would have to go: Jo'bourg, Ougadougou and Bamako.

If you compare this proposed Sabena network to the one SN Brussels Airlines is currently serving, you'll see it is about the same (but with lower frequencies), except for the longer European routes (Moscou, Tel Aviv, Athens, ...) which are currently missing due to limited range of the RJ, but which will be reopened early next year with Boeing or Airbus planes. Of course this can not be coincidental. Sabena knew which of its routes were profitable and which not, and SN Brussels Airlines apparently has a good nose for reopening only the profitable destinations ...

I think this Europe/africa thing is indeed the ideal network for SN, so I wouldn't waiste my time on dreaming of having one or 2 destinations in America or Asia. If Sabena couldn't do it with its huge feeder network, and SN Brussels doesn't want to risk it eighter(despite their lower operating costs) then I wouldn't bet a single euro on it that a small independant airline without backup from partner airlines, without IATA support and most importantly without a single feeder flight will be able to make routes like the ones you mention work...
If there will be an expansion at SN on the long haul in the future, I trust it will only be in Africa (in fact Bujumbura, Lome and some others are named for next year); any future Asian or North American destination will be offered through a partner only (Continetal).

pressclub

Mon May 13, 2002 1:38 am

nice post, SLZ. I agree for 100 pct with your view (as always  Smile)

Kriske
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2002 1:50 am

Slz396

Do you have some inside information about the codeshare deal of snba with a us airline.
I thought AA and Co where still both in the running

slz396

Mon May 13, 2002 2:00 am

From my profile you can deduct that I am only indirectly involved with SN; however, from what I have heard from their top management, it is more then likely going to be Continental...

Why?, when?, how?

Right now all that is pure speculation, very complicated and not really interesting stuff to talk about.
Let them first announce it next week...

Kriske
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2002 2:03 am

Thanks for the info Slz396
Do you now if they are still in talks with an asian partner?

pressclub

Mon May 13, 2002 2:11 am

I hear the same

x CO is 'independent' (not really involved in an alliance)

x CO was one of the first airlines that found SN BA for an interline agreement

x Newark is a realy hub for CO

x CO offers a nice inflight quality

slz396

Mon May 13, 2002 2:26 am

Also check the routes Continental is offering on Africa via a codeshare on KLM and compare them to those SN can offer to Continental....
CO/KLM: Abidjan, Accra, Lagos, Kano, Cape town, Jo'bourg, Nairobi.
CO/SN: Banjul, Conakry, Dakar, Douala, Entebbe, Kigali, Kinshasa, Luanda, Monrovia. Nairobi and Yaounde.
All different, except for Nairobi!

So,
SN offers CO new intercontinental opportunities which are very rare for American carriers. Don't forget that apart from Delta, no other North-American airline has much to offer on Africa.
KLM will very likely not opose the deal too much, as SN will not really interfere with them for transfer pax to Africa.
SN gets a big American partner with a daily flight to NY and with excellent onward connections.
A true win-win situation!

Kriske
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2002 2:26 am

The only thing what makes me think that co is a strange partner , is that they just started a codeshare agrement with klm , so what is the use for co to have a codeshare with an other carrier less than 100 km away from Amsterdam?

Kriske
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2002 2:31 am

Ooops you answerd my question already .
So the code share is great for the african flights but what about the european flights klm and Sn Ba will offer the same cities and both want the traffic from Co , that could be a problem.The good thing if co will codeshare with sn ba that we probably will see the 777 in Brussel

slz396

Mon May 13, 2002 2:47 am

Yes, we'll have to see how they solve that, although there are many exemples of airlines offering flights to destinations via several code-share partners.
As an exemple: if you check the latest Sabena timetable, you can see that Sabena offered flights to South America via Swissair and TAP-Air Portugal, often on the same destinations and days. Giving more choice and flexibility to your passengers is never a bad thing.

Anyway, to get all this back to the topic, all this does not look good for VG airlines.
As things look now, SN might announce an American code share partner with a huge hub in NY less then a week before VG airlines start their own flights to NY independantly...

LJ

Mon May 13, 2002 2:48 am

Slz396 KLM also serves Abidjan. Moreover do you really think KLM will allow a codeshare on CO ex EWR? No way! Moreover why would CO allow SN to sell seats on its flights? CO can sell these seats easili themselves and thus doesn't need SN. In other words if CO allows SN to sell seats on BRU-EWR and further it will give away a market. As long as CO teams with KL in Europe (and this will last untill at least July 26th) it would be foolish for CO to allow SN to sell seats on its flights.

BTW I reckon that KLM will oppose any deal with SN (as it undermines its African stategy in which Kenya Airways is dedicated as the Africa player). However, as long as it will be on certain African destinations only I don't think this objection will be hard and CO will be allowed to go through with it. Any cooperation on BRU-EWR between SN and CO will undoubtly result in some very angry words from Amstelveen (and I wonder if CO wants to replace KL with SN as KL still has much more to offer than SN).

Regards
Laurens

slz396

Mon May 13, 2002 3:01 am

LJ,
check again please; I have mentioned Abidjan as a flight of KLM, and not for SN, so the list I gave is correct (I just did a copy paste from their websites you know...)
Only one overlap exists: nairobi!
Incredible, isn't it?

Also, CO is not in an alliance with KLM, but merely cooperate intensively. In fact CO has a very similar contract with Alitalia. Rumours spead that they are really not satisfied with Alitalia, and even want to ditch them all together if their is a an alternative to them.
Besides, I know from a very reliable source CO is dissatisfied because KLM favours NW as their first choice for the USA, so wouldn't it be a good thing for CO form a strategical point of view to have 2 good choices in Europe as well?
I mean, what will KLM blaim CO for? you have us, why do you need SN? CO will aswer, you have us too so why do you need NW? See what I am after?

Anyway, this discussion is exactly what I ment with:
Why?, when?, how?
Right now all that is pure speculation, very complicated and not really interesting stuff to talk about.
Let them first announce it next week...

I should have sticked to that...

Kriske
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2002 3:04 am

Yes it indeed doesn't look good for vg airlines if they have to compete with co and sn ba combined.
About that klm has more to offer than sn Ba true for asian destinations but not really in africa and europe , besides klm also works really closely with North West .
Maybe Co want's a european partner that put them on the first place.
Is the July 26 date for real?
Who nows co leaving klm for sn ba (mmm i'm dreaming)

sterne82

Mon May 13, 2002 3:23 am

It does not seems to be rosy for VG, but... let's wait and see... don't you think?

Lots of analysts are predicting lots of things... and finaly that's the opposite which is happening!

So, we'll see...

Regards,

Benjamin

Kriske
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2002 3:32 am

Benjamin

You're right the future looks uncertain for vg.
But let them try and see what happens it could be a succes because their costs are a lot lower then sabena.
Besides the guys who started the first no frills airlines where probably laught with too , but now no frills scares the mayor airlines.

Slz396
Maybe you find the discussion about sn ba, american partner uninteresting but i think it's interesting to speculate about the future of sn ba.

slz396

Mon May 13, 2002 3:38 am

With SN (through CO) as direct competitor, I hope VG airlines do not end in the same situation Hewa Bora finds itself on the Kinshasa route. Not to mention LAC which stopped its Kinshasa flight after onnly 3 flights!

Anyway, I hate speculations; I only care about facts and sometimes strong rumours...

LJ

Mon May 13, 2002 4:32 am

Sorry Slz396, I read the thread too fast.

As for July 26th. This appears to be the end date of the KL/CO agreement allthough it has already been extended once (if you follow the logic from the original agreement which would last 6 months, there wouldn't be an agreement between KL and CO)

Kriske, it's no secret that CO wants to offer Middle Eastern destinations (notably Dubai) and it will take a lot of time before the guys at SNBA will even consider these kind of destinations

As for VG, well at least today they had "just" a three hour delay and I doubt Air Holland will rehire VG anytime soon (allthough you never know with Air Holland these days).

BTW I must say that the VG livery is very good in the sunlight. At least VG has a descent livery (something SNBA still needs).

Regards
Laurens

Kriske
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2002 4:41 am

I had a look on the continental website and they are waiting aproval for a codeshare with emirates on londen gatwick dubai and New York and Houston.
So something else what makes klm not to happy.
Anyone now the reason of the delay's of vg, on the air holland flights ?

LJ

Mon May 13, 2002 4:55 am

Well according to a friend of mine there were some passenger stairs located very close to the left wing of the A330 Thus maybe this has anything to do with it

Sabena 690

Mon May 13, 2002 5:02 am

About what has been said here of the B777 of CO in Brussels.

I talked with someone of CO, and the only intention they have at the moment is upgrade the B762 to a B764 every day, and maybe start a second flight from another CO hub.

So for the triple seven lovers like me, never say never but do not expect a B777 of CO soon in EBBR  Sad

Regards,
Frederic

pressclub

Mon May 13, 2002 5:18 am

Recently (last month) i was in Newark for an interview with the COO of Continental. He said at that time he was very happy with KLM. Especially coz KLM offers many destinations in the Gulf...

Already now CO and SN have special rates for the US-Africa flights via Brussels. Their collaboration goes already further than just an interline agreement.