airplanetire

Does Thai And SQ Let People Off Plane From Lax?

Sun May 12, 2002 11:50 am

Do Thai and Singapore Airlines let people off the plane at the 1st stop on their flights from LAX-BKK/SIN? The layover isn't long; just an hour or so. What about other airlines that fly flights with a stop in them, like QF and BA on LHR-SIN/BKK-SYD, or SAA on JFK/ATL-JNB/CPT-CPT/JNB, or Emirates on DXB-SIN-SYD?

777-200

RE: Does Thai And SQ Let People Off Plane From Lax?

Sun May 12, 2002 12:00 pm

I think when SAA 747's stop at GVAC passengers are aloud to get off..
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Christopher Sundseth

Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

airpearl

Sun May 12, 2002 12:20 pm

Generally, transit pax are allowed off at NRT,KIX with TG and NRT,TPE,HKG with SQ. Most times, pax are encouraged to disembark as they otherwise obstruct the cleaning of the a/c. However exceptionally there may be restrictions - either from the airline when the flt is running seriously late, or from the airport when the terminal is too busy. Airports like DXB, SIN and BKK positively encourage transit passengers to disembark and spend money!

TonyBurr

Sun May 12, 2002 12:50 pm

LH does not let you off on FRA-JNB-CPT. SQ does not let you off on Mauritius on the SIN-JNB, or SIN-JNB-CPT.

Most airlines stopping enroute with a ground time of only about 1 hour do not let you off.

spk

RE: Does Thai And SQ Let People Off Plane From Lax

Sun May 12, 2002 11:44 pm

Yes, TG does.

Transit passengers must disembark to allow aircraft cleaning.

There are many passengers whose destination is NRT/KIX. TG also picks up Japanese passengers who want to fly to LAX.

swissgabe

Sun May 12, 2002 11:59 pm

Malaysia Airlines
On the KUL-TPE-LAX run you have to get off at TPE...
On other MH flights from eg. Asia (MNL, HKG, etc) via BKI to KUL you can go off if you like to...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

cedarjet

Mon May 13, 2002 4:36 am

In my experience of multi-sector long-haul flights, you either HAVE to get off (EK and most other airlines at SIN, BKK en route to Aus) or you're not allowed off at all. You used to be able to stay onboard if you wanted while some pax wandered off into the duty free shops but those days seem to have passed. If it is a case of having to clear the aircraft, you also have to take all your handluggage as well, which is a HUGE pain in the arse.

PS On recent flights (ie EK DXB-SIN), business class pax (ie me) in transit didn't get access to EK's biz lounge during the ground stop, although pax joining the flight at SIN presumably waited there.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

TurbineBeaver

Mon May 13, 2002 6:25 am

Having flown the route may times, yes, they do, and encourage you to get off. It is actually very nice, to stretch your legs. They clean the plane while you are off it, but I was seated in the upperdeck, and was able to leave my belongings in my seat and the side compartments.

TB

airplanetire

Mon May 13, 2002 10:17 am

Thank you all for your help! I have a few other questions. What about the SAA flights I mentioned above? Also, when you deboard the plane, do you get your same seat if it's a stop like SIN on the LHR-SIN-SYD flight?

tsentsan

Mon May 13, 2002 11:32 am

Airplanetire -

Its hard to say, cos there'll be a plane change in SIN, the LHR-SIN-SYD plane doesnt always go to SYD... You *could* get it back, but then again you might not.

NO URLS in signature

ZK-NBT

Mon May 13, 2002 3:24 pm

On QF's BNE-AKL-LAX flight everyone has to get off! It is QF's #1 flight from AKL!