swissgabe

SQ - Ever Tried To Make A Booking By Calling Them?

Thu May 16, 2002 7:57 pm

No, I'm not flying SQ, but a friend of mine tried to call them and intend to make a reservation by phone.

They just informed him that they don't accept phone reservation (anymore) and he has to go by him self or he should contact any travel agent.
He wrote to Singapore and sent a complain, the next day it would have been possible but as an exception. Now he flies another airline...

Is this Singapore Airlines new customer service? As far as I know there are no other airlines (except low-cost) where you are not able to make phone bookings.

cheers
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

ryanb741

RE: SQ - Ever Tried To Make A Booking By Calling Them?

Thu May 16, 2002 8:41 pm

I have booked by phone before on their reservations hotline. However, one of the (very few) things that lets SQ down in the UK is their appalling hotlines. You can never get through and the staff can be a bit surly. Compare this with EK where it takes about 3 seconds to get through almost every time. Now I just book online.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu May 16, 2002 9:43 pm

Oh dear, not good.

I hope your friend gets a satisfactory apology. It is quite unusual. It would not be good if SIA excludes people that actually want to book a flight through a human.

Ryanb741: Yes I do understand. It is annoying. I have told SIA this about two years ago and they said they were understaffed. I think I would have gathered that!
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

swissgabe

Thu May 16, 2002 10:26 pm

This case happened here in Zurich and I just wonder if this is at other places the same...

It happens quite a lot with different airlines that they are understaffed and you have to wait very long in the holding line, it isn't good but it happens...

hkgspotter1

Thu May 16, 2002 11:55 pm

I was waiting for him to say he has spoken to Singapore Airlines !!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Airbus_A340

Fri May 17, 2002 12:07 am

"I have told SIA this about two years ago and they said they were understaffed. I think I would have gathered that"

And I am sure they gather that they are understaffed, but they are cutting costs. Maybe in the long run it isn't so good because customer satisfaction level drops.

I have personally experienced the SQ reservation hotline when I was int he UK, no problems at all, I guess it depends when you are making the call...

Trevor
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

BlueShamu330s

Fri May 17, 2002 12:15 am

Singapore_Air

What is quite unusual ??  Confused

Unless you work for SIA, why do you post on A.net as if you were in the heart of their PR department ?  Nuts

Amazing for a 16 year old !!!!!!!!!!

How many times have you actually travelled on them, on which you could base some of your flattering comments about them ?? I'm just curious  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'm not flamebaiting or using harsh language, but you've averaged 8 messages per day since joining A.net., many of which are clearly written to ramp up the image of SIA on here.

Your profile says people who dislike SIA should leave them alone. However, this is a discussion board; without people contributing a bit of balance against your posts, what would the point be of websites like A.net ?? We could just call it SIA_fans.net.  Sad

Shamu, (over 18, actually working for an airline)
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

swissgabe

Fri May 17, 2002 12:20 am

As I said, I wouldn't fly SQ, its just because I don't like them very much. They are just not in the list of my favourite airlines, I have friends working for them, but I have also friends working for other airlines and I'm working for an airline too (which is of course one of my favourites, otherwise I wouldn't work for it)

Just to say, NO airline is perfect and NO airline ever will...

trickijedi

Fri May 17, 2002 12:55 am

You can never get through and the staff can be a bit surly.

This is true for calls from the U.S. as well. In fact, the two times I called Singapore Airlines from Chicago I felt like I was being rushed off the phone.

In reference to no other airlines not being able to make phone bookings... Philippines Airlines doesn't allow phone bookings either. Well, they can't charge your credit card over the phone anyway. What you would have to do is either: 1) Send PAL a money order and then they will mail you the ticket(s) or 2) go to a PAL office and purchase the tickets there.

Seems pretty inconvenient to me.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

hkg82

Fri May 17, 2002 1:12 am

Singapore_Air:
The least you could do is answer his questions, instead of getting defensive & avoiding answering. You really need to address why many people question the contents of your posts.

Anyway, it's up to you, I don't want to argue  Smile

Hkg82.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri May 17, 2002 1:31 am

Blueshamu330s: I find your tone offensive, condescending and patronising and therefore I will not answer your questions. Without the tone I would have been more than happy to inform you

Airbus_A340

Fri May 17, 2002 1:51 am

We need a bit of fun in this forum sometimes...gets boring without humour.

Trickijedi: PAL do offer online booking though, I'm ever so sorry PAL don't offer the booking service over the telephone. I will inform PAL customer service immediatly. Please however, do continue to fly with PAL.

Trevor

odie

Fri May 17, 2002 6:05 am

You know what, when SIA released their annual results, I think he's going to post with such topic, "SIA made $$$ profits" where as for other airlines like Cathay, he would post someting like "CX Profits Drop By ***%". I am pretty sure that SIA profit will fall after what all airlines went through last year. I mean, just try to be fair, and just simply qoute something like XXX airline made $$$ profits! This way, you would seriously get away with a lot of trouble! You know, making this 10,000 people here in this forum thinks that SIA is the best ain't doing SIA not much of a difference!

If I remember correctly, all your positive news post were Star Alliance members, if not, airlines that were related to SIA like Virgin. And for crying out loud, don't act as though you work for SIA! Every trip report that I see with SIA on it, whenever there's something bad, you will apologize for SIA. For what? Unless you work for SIA, which I very doubt you do, and don't go around asking people for their flight details when they didn't get a good flight with SIA! If they find it unacceptable, they will report it to SIA itself and not via you. I seriously want to know if the SIA office in London/Singapore actually entertain your e-mails anymore!

By the way, from what I heard, you have 0 miles in your Krisflyer? I am serisouly curious what make you such a fan of SIA? Singapore Girls? To tell you the truth, about 40% of SIA's flight attendants are from Malaysia, if I am not mistaken!

Anyway, I also would not go all the way to fly with SIA as MAS is still my prefered carrier! Period.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri May 17, 2002 7:03 am

OdiE: You are quite mistaken. It is fact that I have well documented the financial results of Lufthansa and US Airways and Iberia recently. The topic is clearly in the format that you so much desire for.

In addition, I think you should look out for posts tomorrow. Predictions indicate that SIA will post profits 84% below last FY.

In addition it is puzzling why you would read any of your posts considering your dislike of me. Maybe you need a scapegoat to make you feel better. Participation in gossip obviously is of interest to you.

Anyway, I also would not go all the way to fly with MAS as SIA is my prefered carrier! Period.

BlueShamu330s

Fri May 17, 2002 9:11 am

Singapore_Air

I'm sorry you found your experience with my post an unpleasant one.  Yeah sure

But seriously, I think I asked some genuine questions.

If I might be constructive for a moment, repeated ramping of a particular carrier does nothing but alienate people who soon get tired of reading the same things.

It makes it worse when said poster writes as if they have the inside line for that particular carrier.

You make if very clear that you are a fan of SIA; bravo !  Big thumbs up

They are a fine carrier, agreed.

However, reporting people who differ in their views to your own (your profile: SIA is the world's most respected and best airline. Those that do not like SIA, namely HKGSpotter1, Greg, Tesna (including Etravelconsult) should just leave SIA, alone and not reply with harsh language just to get the post deleted.) shows a level of intolerance and naievety which only alienates or splits groups of people on the forum.

I would never want to stifle the enthusiasm of a young person, especially one who is clearly an aviation junkie as I was and still am.

However, there are times and places when we all need to temper our enthusiasm, stand back, and look at things with perhaps a little more objectivity.

Regards

Shamu

So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

N754PR

Fri May 17, 2002 9:59 am

If there are any SQ staff from the UK in this forum I would guess they know him well. They must know his voice off by heart when he calls to tell them..

"Hello Singapore Airlines, this is your number one fan here. I need to tell you about a major problem with your website. I just heard a guy on that forum, you know airliners.net. He said you site was down for 0.3 seconds.

I do hope you can look into this as its very important for all of us at Singapore Airlines to serve our customers and make sure we are better then Cathay Pacific"

Do they have a black list of people that CAN'T WORK FOR THEM ?
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

Setjet

Fri May 17, 2002 10:35 am

To get back to the topic:

I couldn't agree more that SIA must do something to improve their customer hotline.

My flight from JFK to FRA was cancelled "due to 9/11", we booked you one day later. If this doesn't fit you, you may also cancel your flight. One week before my flight.
Called their callcenter a couple of times and asked them why they couldn't book me on one of the numerous Lufthansa (Star Alliance!!!) flights.
Answer: "No, we can't do that."

I was so pissed, I called Lufthansa, they told me, of course they can book me on any LH flight out of JFK, they would call SIA and arrange everything for me.
In two days I had my new rebooked ticket.

Singapore_Air: If you have some time (and obviously you have too much time), go ahead and call them and tell them about my complaint. Maybe it helps.

Greg

Fri May 17, 2002 10:44 am

I understand that Taiwan is going to prosecute those SQ pilots (or should I say alledged pilots) on manslaughter charges for killing all those innocent people.

trickijedi

Fri May 17, 2002 10:58 am

Airbus_A340,

Yes, true PAL does offer on-line booking. In fact I have used their on-line services before. However, the same process essentially takes place. The ticket is still mailed to you and it's not really an e-ticket.

An example. I booked a ticket from Manila-Cebu-Manila last month on PAL on-line. They did charge my credit card and the process was as routine as with other on-line airline sites. But during the confirmation stage they gave me the option of either 1)being mailed the paper ticket or 2)picking up the paper ticket at a PAL office. So I chose the latter option and went to their NAIA office in Manila and picked up the tickets. It took two hours of my time but no big deal.

I will definitely fly PAL again. If the fare is right, I don't mind going through a little bit of hassle. Like I said no biggie.

Hey guys, can we stick with the topic? All this bashing is useless and really isn't getting anybody anywhere. So what if there's a little animosity between members in this forum. Just like real life.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

Airbus_A340

Fri May 17, 2002 12:02 pm

Hey Trickijedi,
I actually yet have to experience PAL myself, hope that I do in the near future, or maybe even Cebu Pacific!

Trevor

TonyBurr

Fri May 17, 2002 12:23 pm

I have been very lucky in having taken SQ several times between South Africa and Australia through Singapore. I have always found the staff tremendous, in the air and on the ground ( I have been extremely lucky in being in F). When I have called them in the US for seats or res, I have never had a problem. Maybe I just hit it right. They are my favorite airline and look to fly them when I can.

I remember my first flight on them maybe 15 years ago (hate to think of that). I was flying BKK to SIN in Business Class. It was my first time in Asia and I was abit overwhelmed. I remember standing outside the airport trying to figure how to get to my hotel. A flight attendant from my flight came up and asked if she could help. I told her about my dilema. She got a taxi, told him where to take me, checked the price, explained about how to get back to the airport. She was really great, and 15 years later I remember her kindness.

I am sorry others have not had as good experience. How can you figure why sometimes it is good, and sometimes it is bad.

Setjet

Fri May 17, 2002 12:36 pm

I must say that my numerous telephone calls to SIA were my only unpleasant experiences.
The flights were just great, friendly FA's, generous support and service in Singapore on the ground, comfortable airplanes...

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri May 17, 2002 3:39 pm

Oh ffs. I am too stressed.

BlueShamu330s: I do apologise. In hindsight, it appears that I have automatically put you in the group of people who have a personal vendetta against me and/or Singapore Airlines. Please e-mail me.

Setjet: Time is not something I have. I have GCSEs very soon and German is on Wednesday!

tsentsan

Fri May 17, 2002 3:48 pm

Hmm... I do agree with BlueShamu that he has asked some questions we are dying to know... even though we've chatted with Singapore_Air before, I'm still dying to know whats so fascinating about SIA....
NO URLS in signature

swissgabe

Fri May 17, 2002 3:59 pm

OdiE, only 40% of the SQ F/A from Malaysia? I thought it has to be more. I don't blame it on these SQ guys / fans etc. they can think and do what they want.

I just speak for my self and in SQ I just don't feel comfortable. I like this green kabayha (spelling?) much more than the violet one. I don't want to say that SQ is bad, I only say they are NOT better than others at all...

Well, actually we have been discussing about their reservations why phone...

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri May 17, 2002 4:06 pm

Tsentsan! You should ask me! Big grin hehe

Swissgabe: Awww. Well hope you hvae fun on another airline. Do you mind telling us why you feel uncomfortable. Are the flight attendants not friendly?

carmy

Fri May 17, 2002 5:30 pm

Swissgabe: Perhaps you'd like to tell us all how Aeroflot, Royal Air Cambodge, Lao Aviation, etc, are all better than SIA since you do mention them as your favourite airlines. Since your like them so much, do yourself a favour and fly them more. At the same time, I'd like to recommend Yemenia Airlines, Tarom, Moscow Airways, and other most excellent airlines.

I'm sure they're way better than that horrible, disgusting, worthless, nasty, ghastly, horrific, atrocious, hideous, repulsive, nasty, terrible, dreadful, scumbug, upsetting, unspeakable, appalling, and horrendous Singapore Airlines. I wonder how on earth that pathetic airline actually won so many awards for its inflight service. All those passengers who voted for them must be quite blind. And horrors, you mean they're the only other airline besides Southwest to have never made a loss since their inception in the 1970s? There must be governmental subsidies! And yay!!! That despicable airline was involved in an accident in TPE!! I can only hope that people like you wasn't hoping for more deaths.

Singapore 777

Fri May 17, 2002 5:36 pm

Hey hey cool it man!

Anyway I've always had excellent customer service when making phone bookings on SIA, which is now commonplace since mum and dad seldom go to travel agents anymore. Their phone agents have always been courteous and go beyond the call of their duty to assist me in every possible way, even when there was no more seats left for booking. They offered alternatives and were most patient when I requested for them to check for the days when seats were available. So personally I cannot associate with what you all are saying here.

But if anyone does have problems with their phone service, maybe you all should write a letter to SIA to tell them about that. Hopefully they would improve in the long run. Wouldn't that be more beneficial than running down an otherwise excellent airline?

9V-SVA

Fri May 17, 2002 5:47 pm

Hmmm, I can imagine TAROM having AVoD equipped PTVs in Economy. Same goes for ARIA and Lao Aviation.

Weirdly, all these airlines are actually better than SIA! Maybe I should cancel my flight from Singapore to Rome and back and fly Aeroflot to Moscow, then changing to another ARIA flight to Rome.

Should I do that? I'm sure that I want to give these airlines a try since they ARE BETTER than the POS called SIA.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

swissgabe

Fri May 17, 2002 6:32 pm

Carmy
Royal Air Cambodge doesn't exist anymore  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Well, every airline has nice aspects, I simply don't believe that SQ is that better than others.

Singapore_Air
Well, you have with all airlines good and bad crews, friendly and unfriendly staff etc. It is just that I don't like them very much, it is not my favourite airline at all, I didn't say it is bad, I only feel more comfortable on other carriers.

9V-SVA
On short-haul flights (Lao Aviation has no long-haul) you don't need PTV, go an check out SQs A310 and than you know what I'm talking about. Btw. the longest QV flight is not more than 2hrs. A310 are up to 3 hrs or even more...
I didn't say they are better, read my postings. I don't think it is fare to compare a Airline from Singapore with one from Romania, Lao, Cambodia or what ever.

Btw, I can say that MAS is simply better than SQ, not their F Class, but their C and Y for sure!

9V-SVA

Fri May 17, 2002 6:48 pm

I don't see the need to install PTVs on the A310s simply to the fact that they are leaving the fleet very, very soon and being replaced by 777s which have PTVs.

Very soon, all SIA flights will be operated by PTV-equipped aircraft.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

swissgabe

Fri May 17, 2002 6:52 pm

Well, so you want to say QV should install PTVs in their Y7, Y12 and AT7?

I wonder why SQ didn't replace the A310 earlier.

9V-SVA
Tell me, what makes SQ so special and why are they in your opinion simply better than anything else?
Like every airline they offer transportation from A to B, thats the main goal of an airline but most passenger they think they don't pay only for the transportation, no, they think they are going for a hotel, restaurant, movie etc...

Mr.BA

Fri May 17, 2002 8:11 pm

I noticed something. Everytime an SQ post is started, there are bound to have arguments. Well SQ might not be the best in everything, but come on guys, accept the fact, they are one of the better airlines out there. Their award winning streak shows it all.
Boeing747 万岁!

swissgabe

Fri May 17, 2002 8:55 pm

I didn't say that SQ is bad, rather SQ guys say that there is nothing that good as SQ. I simply don't think that SQ is the best of all.

There are plenty of other excellent Airlines around and SQ is simply no more the No. 1. I think they have an excellent reputation but in several markets they don't make big efforts, they think that their good reputation is great and will hold another 25 years without doing nothing (or at least not more than other airlines).

SQ never joined any Travel Trade Fare in Switzerland and the phone thing (see topic) is just another thing.

My question again, what makes SQ better than others in your opinions, question goes of course to our SQ friends...

Airbus_A340

Fri May 17, 2002 9:23 pm

I think you guys have to understand that a 'good airline' is a matter of opinion, not that if say Singapore_Air likes SQ, it doesn't mean I have to like them. Just because an airlines doesn't have PTV's it doesn't make them bad. It is all a matter of opinion!

Trevor

odie

Sat May 18, 2002 5:33 am

Swissgabe: I am not too sure. I knew someone who is working with SIA as a flight attendant and she said something like 40-50% of them are Malaysian. in fact, the majority of them is Malaysian! I don't know for sure, jsut something I had heard from people. Anyway, do you know what's the percentage of Malaysian in MAS' cabin crew?

docpepz

Sat May 18, 2002 9:14 am

Odie:

from a relation who used to work in Singapore Airlines, she said that the Malaysian cabin crew on SIA have a much better attitude than the Singaporeans.

As you know, Singapore became a first world nation in an incredibly short time, thus we have had a generation of spoilt kids grow up in this country.

Classic example: FA reports for duty at Changi Airport but finds that she forgot her passport. Of course she misses her flight, and she is called in by a disciplinary board.

Her reason: "MY STUPID MAID FORGOT TO PACK MY PASSPORT IN."

That is a true story. SIA is grateful to their Malaysian staff as they are generally perceived to be warmer, and much more genuine in their service. The same goes with the Indonesians, though their English is not very good. But as we know it, Malaysia (especially the big cities) is fast approaching first world status and there are a significant group of people growing up with maids running after them all day long!

By the way guys, ANY thread started on SQ inevitably becomes a Singapore_Air and SIA bashing session. And then we'll have someone go COMPLETELY off topic and start talking about SQ's Taipei crash, when the original intention of the thread starter was to question SIA's phone service.

I know there are a great deal of you there who simply can't stand him (and I perfectly understand why). His email address is in his profile so why can't you guys just email him and ask him questions there?

swissgabe

Sun May 19, 2002 5:24 pm

Docpepz
Thats why I prefer Kuala Lumpur as City to Singapore...

OdiE
MAS Cabin Crew has to be around 90% Malaysian I would say, other nationals than Malaysians I think they only have on Japan, Korean and China/Taiwan flights. I heard that now it is possible also for other nationals than above to become a MAS Cabin Crew.
I think the Cockpit Crew is 99.9 % Malaysian.

I think all of them do a good job  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

odie

Sun May 19, 2002 7:06 pm

Swissgabe: Yea, I think any flight attendants (FA) that I saw on any of the MAS flight are all Malaysians. In fact, I had yet to see one Japanese/Chinese/Koreans on my flights, though I had seen Japanese/Koreans in KLIA though. I think they only fly to Korea/Japan/China-Malaysia only. Gee, pretty boring route though if you are doing that for the rest of your life. I don't recall seeing any caucasian on any of MAS flights. MAS did hire 3 South African nationals though, but I am not too sure if they are still working with MAS, flying from South Africa to Malaysia or Argentina. If MAS hire other nationalities, I think MAS will have to pay them in dollars or whatever currency the FA's is using, and this would heighten MAS' cost. Anyway, their FAs are superb and adding in more nationalities doesn't means adding better service.

swissgabe

Mon May 20, 2002 5:38 pm

Yeah, the Japanese/Chinese/Korean FA they only operate on the routes to the respective destination.
MAS also printed the Onboard Magazine in Japanese, snacks are in Japanese and they even offer this Oalong Tea. But I think most airlines do this, even SQ  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

The South African makes sense because MAS has to base crews at JNB or CPT for the EZE flight...

9V-SVE

Mon May 20, 2002 6:46 pm

Oh man...I wished SQ fired the FA.

swissgabe

Mon May 20, 2002 9:46 pm

Which FA SQ should fire?

Airbus Lover

Mon May 20, 2002 10:21 pm

In the past 4 days when trying to get flights to North America sorted out, I found out that MAS' 24x7 reservation and enquiries (cust care as well) toll free in Malaysia was very helpful indeed. i am very impressed indeed.

Singapore 777

Mon May 20, 2002 10:55 pm

Sad to say, I've got horrible attitude from the MAS reservation staff in Singapore. They sound like they don't want to talk to me at all and that I should scram at once. Anyway, whenever I want to travel with MAS I'd probably go through an agent.