BA
Topic Author

What Ever Happened To Ryan Aircraft Company?

Fri May 17, 2002 12:36 pm

What ever happened to Ryan Aircraft Company which built the Spirit of St. Louis for Charles Lindbergh? They were based in San Diego.

I am guessing that they no longer exist. How were there final days if that's so?

Any websites with good information on Ryan Aircraft?

Also what happened to Wright Whirlwind, the manufactuer of the Spirit of St. Louis' engine.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA
Topic Author

RE: What Ever Happened To Ryan Aircraft Company?

Sat May 18, 2002 6:43 am

Nobody knows about the manufactuer of the grand famous Spirit of St. Louis?
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

lapa_saab340

Sat May 18, 2002 7:57 am

I'm going from memory here, so this may not be accurate. As I remember, Ryan either merged with or was bought by North American Aviation, which later became Rockwell International. The Wright Aeronautical Company kept on making engines after the J-5 Whirlwind (the Wright Cyclone comes to mind). They later became Curtiss-Wright, but they stopped manufacturing airplanes and engines quite some time ago. They're still around though, I don't remember what line of business they're in, but you can get some more info from their webpage: http://www.curtisswright.com

Cheers!

Sat May 18, 2002 9:10 am

The original Ryan Aircraft Company (aka Ryan Airlines) merged together with several other companies (most notably Lockheed) to create the Detroit Aircraft Corporation in the late 20's. Detroit Aircraft went bankrupt in the early 30's, and the original Ryan went with it.

Claude Ryan later created the Ryan Aeronautical Company in 1928 which is today known as Teledyne-Ryan, a part of Northrop-Grumman. Ryan Aeronautical designed and built the Ryan ST trainer. Variants of the Ryan ST trained thousands of American WWII pilots. Most of their work now is in the unmanned military aircraft field.

UALPHLCS

Sat May 18, 2002 12:05 pm

I understand that Ryan is a pat of Hughs Aerospace and they build missiles. That was according to Air & Space magazine a long time ago.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.