aak777

What Do Flight Engineers Do Nowadays?

Sat May 18, 2002 5:59 am

Did they become pilots, or did they find other jobs?

Squigee

RE: What Do Flight Engineers Do Nowadays?

Sat May 18, 2002 6:04 am

"Would you like fries with that?"

j/k! They could move to other aircraft as pilots, move to other airlines that still have aircraft that use engineers, or could change jobs completely.

I believe the webmaster of jetcareers.com was a 727 engineer before moving on to different aircraft.
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

mf3864

Sat May 18, 2002 6:05 am

What was their job? Charting the flight, giving directions?

Squigee

Sat May 18, 2002 6:09 am

They did what the computers do now- aircraft pressurization, fuel control and supervision, bleed air, vents, radios, so on.

Search the photo archives under "Flight Deck" with "Engineer" in the keyword... you can see their panels are quite complex!
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

desertjets

Sat May 18, 2002 6:12 am

"Turn left at the cloud over there, go down the block for a quarter mile..."

Most pilots began their careers sitting sideways in a 727, DC-10, L-1011 etc... before moving over to the right seat. However there were a decent number of career FE's. By the time the airlines retired the 747 classics, DC-10s and Tristars these guys retired along with them.

Doug Taylor's website is a pretty good resource. And I do believe he started his career with Delta sitting sideways in a 27.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

MD88Captain

Sat May 18, 2002 7:02 am

Most pilots started DAL as 727 Flight Engineers. It was the entry level position. DAL's policy was to only hire pilots, but due to mergers DAL has some Flight Engineers who are not pilots. I think the number is very low. Around 30 I believe. When the retirement of the 727 was annexed DAL and ALPA came to an agreement on moving these professional engineers into pilot seats. I forget the specifics, but it basically said that if these guys get ATPs and a certain (significant) number of hours DAL will hire them to be pilots. I believe just a few have taken a leave with DAL to gain the experience needed. The others will be out of jobs once the 727's leave next Spring ('03).

wannabe

Sat May 18, 2002 8:31 am

A buddy of mine started as a FE on 727's. He's now an A300 Captain. He came out of the Air Force as a B-52 PIC prior to his commercial career.

DE727UPS

Sat May 18, 2002 8:34 am

Many F/E's at UPS were Captains who reached the age 60 mandatory cutoff...then they downgraded to F/E but retained their seniority....they are very highly paid F/E's.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos