airblue

Milan-Bergamo (BGY) Will Be The Next Ryanair Hub

Mon May 20, 2002 5:19 pm

This week end I flew BGY-HHN-BGY on Ryanair and I met a Italian cabin crew who work for Ryanair at the Hahn hub and he likes very much aviation (he follows A.net sometime) and he has a good knowledge about aviation industry so I think he is a good source.
He told me he was informed last month from his Hahn operations manager that from next January 2003 he will transfer in Italy at the new base at Milan-Bergamo airport.
From his words Ryanair will end the contract with the SABCO (Bergamo Airport authority) within the beginning of the summer.
He also told me that the other Italian option was Pisa.
In Hahn there are based also a lot of Swedish crew. It seems they were recruiting for the Ryanair Swedish hub, but than Ryanair didn't find a good deal there so it decided to wait to open the Swedish hub. The airport chosen by Ryanair was Gotenborg Save and not Stockholm-Skvaska as I read on this forum.

f.pier

RE: Milan-Bergamo (BGY) Will Be The Next Ryanair Hub

Mon May 20, 2002 6:13 pm

Do you know something about the loading factor of VBS Brescia airport??

Do you think it will continue to be a Ryanair destination, if BGY becomes the new FR hub?

airblue

RE: Milan-Bergamo (BGY) Will Be The Next Ryanair Hub

Mon May 20, 2002 8:18 pm

In my opinion VBS will not suffer from it.
Even if it's quite close to BGY, it serves a different area (Verona, Vicenza and Mantova).

Of course I hoped they choose VBS in spite of BGY, but BGY is quite close to Milan so it offers a larger market.