eta unknown

Air Canada MEL-HNL Suspension

Tue May 21, 2002 12:59 pm

No surprise realy, but AC will suspend their 3x weekly MEL-HNL sector of their HNL-YYZ flight at the end of May. Continental couldn't make MEL-HNL work a decade ago, so I don't know what possessed AC to think otherwise (did they really think there was enough Star Alliance Ansett traffic to be had ex MEL)?

yyz717

RE: Air Canada MEL-HNL Suspension

Tue May 21, 2002 2:19 pm

I understood this as somewhat seasonal. Most Canadians venture to OZ in the northern winter. Not sure about MEL-HNL seasonality for Aussies travelling to HA though.

I bet AC HNL-MEL will be back in Oct/Nov.

IMHO

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

rindt

Tue May 21, 2002 3:48 pm

Exactly Neil... that's why it's a suspension instead of an outright cancellation.

The average loads for MEL-HNL-MEL in the northern winter were over 80%, with a good chunk of biz passengers right from YYZ. So it's a money maker in the winter time, just not the summertime...

-Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

eta unknown

Tue May 21, 2002 5:27 pm

And 2 AC MEL Airport staff got made redundant.
Sorry guys, the route is a dud. The comments made by AC's Area Manager Australia were quite amusing- she cited the problem as the inability to re-educate MEL pax/travel agents to book a direct flight as opposed to a change of airline/aircraft in Sydney. She must have been drunk in the pub to come up with that excuse!

Al

Wed May 22, 2002 6:04 am

ETA Unknown put fingers to the board and bashed out:
"The comments made by AC's Area Manager Australia were quite amusing- she cited the problem as the inability to re-educate MEL pax/travel agents to book a direct flight as opposed to a change of airline/aircraft in Sydney. She must have been drunk in the pub to come up with that excuse!"

Not so - just check United's daily MEL-SYD-SFO flight. There are many pax booked each day as MEL-SFO then connect down to LAX - they don't think to book MEL-SYD and connect there to the nonstop to LAX.
Many agents do indeed need a good kick up the proverbial - many of them wouldn't know a PTA from a ETA in my experiences with them over 21 years.
Cheers/Regards.
Al.