N79969
Topic Author

Trim On Large Aircraft (and Other Features)

Fri May 24, 2002 10:20 pm

Whenever I rent a plane, usually a C172, one of the big things for me that separates a good plane from a crappy one is trim stability. My favorite 172 that I flew for most of my PPL training was great: you could trim takeoff, trim for cruise, and then adjust for landing and that was it. And I would almost never touch it any other time because it was so stable. There was another plane the instructors liked and I hated because the trim was ultra-sensitive. At cruise, it was like flying parabolas the whole time trying to find the perfect trim setting.

My questions is to those of you who fly the big rigs: do large airliners (B737 on up) vary individually like C172s/152s in terms of trim stability? Are particular planes, say within the company MD-80 fleet, really easy to fly in terms of trimming the airplane while another one requires a lot of attention?

To you all, what else besides trim differentiates a good plane to fly versus a bad one?

Leezyjet

RE: Trim On Large Aircraft (and Other Features)

Sat May 25, 2002 12:09 am

Normally in everyday flightops, the trim is set before departure and the trim setting is taken from the loadsheet that the dispatcher hands over, then during the flight the a/c will autotrim itself for the rest of the way. This is noticable on the 737's when you see the trim wheels suddenly start to turn all by themselves.
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

N79969
Topic Author

RE: Trim On Large Aircraft (and Other Features)

Sat May 25, 2002 3:31 am

Thanks, Leezyjet. I assume then most other aircraft now have autotrim. Any other opinions on what makes a particular airliner (as opposed to an entire type) a good plane to fly?