kwbl

Scheduling Oddities

Sun May 26, 2002 12:57 pm

I was looking at some stuff today and noted some oddities with where some airlines fly and the frequency. For example, 2 years ago, there were 0 NS flights from OAK to JFK. There are now 7. However, there are 0 flights to MSP and STL from OAK. There are 0 flights from PDX to JFK yet PDX is a bigger airport than OAK. PDX and SFO have the same number of seats to DTW (in the summer). ONT has 0 NS flights to ORD whereas a couple years ago, they had 7 per day. There also no flights between SFO and ONT. It seems like there is not a great deal of logic being used by airlines- I would like to think they schedule according to demand but it does not appear that way. How else would one explain 7 new flights in 2 years (actually less) in a market that was previously unserved.

spinkid

RE: Scheduling Oddities

Sun May 26, 2002 3:18 pm

Delta used to serve JFK-PDX non stop. I had a great flight 2 years ago, it was a $200 roundtrip web fare, they ran out of coach class breakfasts, so I got to eat the first class breakfast which was much nicer. but I guess if they were giving it away that cheap, they weren't filling it very often.

Now, I notice that Delta flies non stop to SEA and the flight continues on to PDX, which means you can fly SEA-PDX on a 767-300, pretty neat since most of the other flights on this route are on prop planes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos