agrodemm

Thai IFE

Wed May 29, 2002 2:03 am

I am planning on flying with Thai from Athens to Bali via Bangkok. I will be flying with 777-300 ATH-BKK and A333 BKK-DPS
Can anybody tell me how is Thai's IFE.
Specifically, do they have PTV's in economy?
From interior pics that I have seen the 773 seems to have TV screens above the ailes.
Anybody with Thai experience?
Thanks

SQ772

RE: Thai IFE

Wed May 29, 2002 3:31 am

If you are flying Y, don't expect PTVs. Service is good though.
There's always a better way to fly...

VirginFlyer

Wed May 29, 2002 8:22 am

Also, don't count on what is on the screen and coming through the headphones matching up with what is in the Magazine...

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

PacificFlyer

Wed May 29, 2002 8:36 am

Flying Thai is all about in-flight service baby!

jsmith

Wed May 29, 2002 11:45 am

As already mentioned, no PTVs in Y class on the B777-300. I had the unfortunate experience of travelling on HS-TKB from Melbourne to Bangkok in 2000 and the seats were very uncomfortable. My seat had a broken headrest and in flight service was average to say the least. I have flown Thai 4 times now over the past 5 years and honestly find it hard to read comments about how good their service supposedly is.

I have flown a mix of short haul, medium and long haul with TG and each time, the flights were very average indeed. Nothing to rave about that was for sure and certainly not an accurate reflection of their glossy advertising or slogan 'smooth as silk'.

Incidentally, my next Thai flight after the B777 was BKK-FRA which was operated by MD-11, HS-TMF and although the aircraft was much older, in my opinion, it was a far superior a/c from a passenger's comfort point of view.

What about other peoples' experiences aboard TG?

Good luck!

ROP

Wed May 29, 2002 11:55 am

The IFE seems to be poor for the present airline business even thought the F/A service is superb.. Seat comfort on B773 is never met my comfort since I have flown it several times in the past for both domestic and Int'l route. Anyway, I love their A333 with more comfort and not so cramped like B773..

Anyhow... don't expect much when you fly Thai... everything is possible.

Have a nice flight..

terminalc

Wed May 29, 2002 12:37 pm

TG is a confusing airline. They have some 744s with C & F class PTV, some without. No 744s have Y class PTV. Their 772 & 773s are uncomfortable past about 2 hours.

They've been talking about an overhaul of their product for years. But they only seem to be able to form committees to study their options. Nothing is ever put into place.

It is a pity. I fly from the US to SE Asia regularly. I used to always fly TG. After all, they advertise that they want to be a "First Choice Carrier". They do generally have great service. But I got tired of their uncomfortable planes & will not fly them until they put in new seats & decent entertainment. LAX-BKK is a long flight in a bad seat and no entertainment.

spk

Wed May 29, 2002 1:19 pm

PTV:

THAI has PTV's in F & C class on the following aircrafts. No PTV in economy on any aircrafts.

747-400
777-300
777-200
330-300

NOTE: They've installed PTV (in F&C classes) on just 7 out of 16 747-400 so there is a chance that you'll end up on a 747-400 which has PTV at all. On these old birds, they'll provide you with a small Video Walkman and a selection of tapes. All 777 aircrafts have PTV in C class. All 330-300's will get PTV by October this year.

SEATS:

It is well known that the seats on THAI 777-200 and 777-200 are very uncomfortable. According to an informal source, these 777's will start to get new seats installed by the end of this year and the whole fleet will be upgraded within a year. Their A330-300 fleet is the most comfortable aircraft, IMHO.

agrodemm

Wed May 29, 2002 3:42 pm

Thank you all for your replies and info.
As always, the best sources of info regrading aviation are such forums.
Not even my travel agent could give me details.

VirginFlyer

Wed May 29, 2002 6:42 pm

Jsmith - I have flown Thai several times this year, and I would rate them as being quite good. Their cabin service is almost (but not quite) as good as Air New Zealand's. Their amenities are no where near say, SIA, but it isn't too bad. Legroom in J class on the 747s without PTVs could do with some increasing - it was somewhat better on HS-TGB (which has the improved F and J with PTVs) than the others I flew. Service in First Class was good, and the seats were good (again, not up to SQ's of course, nor NZ's) - although I was amused to notice that the velvet covering left part of the seat mechanism exposed. As for IFE, not once out of three flights has it matched up with the magazine for me. I think Rush Hour 2 was on all three times!

All in all, I'd say Thai are a good quality airline. There are better, but there are definitely a lot worse!

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos