OA412
Crew
Topic Author

Best Economy Seats In LX A330

Fri May 31, 2002 4:16 am

Hi all,

The topic is pretty self explanatory but I do have a couple additional questions. I am flying LX from JFK to ZRH in August and was wondering if you all could help with obtaining the best possible seats? Also, regarding bulkhead seats, do LX reserve these for frequent travellers or are they handed out on a first come-first served basis at the airport on the day of the departure? Also, I have read both here and on the Swissair group over on Yahoo! that the economy seating on the A330 is quite cramped. So, my question to you is how does it compare to the MD-11? I personally found the MD-11s to have more than ample legroom (if it makes any difference I flew HB-IWR and HB-IWU back in 1999) so will the A330s be at all comparable to that which I found on the MD-11s.

Thanks for all your help.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

khi747

RE: Best Economy Seats In LX A330

Fri May 31, 2002 4:40 am

OK....i have travelled on SR/LX MD-11 once the A330 about 15 times. I have yet to travel an economy class that is not cramped...of any airline and any airplane.None the less i can tell you that LX planes are no more cramped then most economy classes.The only time i sat on the MD-11, i had bulk head seats so that in itself is huge improvement over the normal seats.I have also had bulk head and the non bulk head seats on the A330....and even though bulk head seats are much better, it sure does get uncomfy during a long flight,primarliy since there is no leg/foot support.But if you found the MD-11 to have more then ample legroom,i dont how you did but anyway,then you should be fine on the A330 as well.
Its difficult to get bulk head seats to and from USA....specially at this time of the year.I suggest you should try to get now....if you can.I am sure that being a Frequent traveler is not a prerequisite for it.

OA412
Crew
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2002 1:57 pm

KHI747,

Hey thanks for your help!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

geotrash

Fri May 31, 2002 2:09 pm

A window seat in the rear of the plane. The A330 is long enough that you can watch the contrails form behind the engines under the right conditions- right outside your window. Dunno about anyone else, but I've always thought that was neat. That way if you're cramped and tired of watching reruns of "Friends" on the TV, you can watch the miracles of thermodynamics unfold before your eyes  Big thumbs up

ZRH

Fri May 31, 2002 3:40 pm

I travelled many times on LX (SR) 332. I always find, that the bulkhead / exit seats are the best although you are near the lavs on some seats. But you have definitely more legroom there. As I know they give the seats first come first serve. Some are reserved for families with babies because of the bassinets. Unfortunately I also have to say that I find the LX's 332 economy class quite cramped. They made promises to improve it, but I don't know when and how.

MAC100

Fri May 31, 2002 9:49 pm

Seat pitch is minimal (31-30") and in addition the seats are rather narrow. If you're tall the only seats that are halfway acceptable are aisle seats. Just hope that the person next to you will fit into their seat. Not an experience to look forward to!