9V-SPK
Topic Author

Passenger Sues SQ For Glasses In Pineapple Juice

Fri May 31, 2002 8:17 am

Mr Stephen Graham Olding , 48 years old, British constructor has started sueing Singapore Airlines for letting him drink a glass of pineapple juice with 2 very small pieces of glasses in the glass. Mr Olding said that he flew Singapore Airlines from Bangkok to Hong Kong (Assuming he had a stop via Hong Kong as SQ has no direct flights from Bangkok to Hong Kong) on 26th September 2000. During his flight he drank his girlfriend's pineapple juice, and while drinking he "felt" that there were 2 very small pieces of glasses in the juice, and claimed himself that he was internally injured. 2 days later when he arrived in Hong Kong he went to a local hospital and claimed that he stayed in the hospital for 10 days, paying a deposit of 20,000 HK dollars.

Mr Olding said that he came to Hong Kong to finish a contract with an Australian Glass Company, and provide glasses on-time. However he has to break the contract, that means have to pay a certain amount of penalty, and so he's sueing SQ for NOT preparing the meals onboard properly, causing damage and injuries to passengers. He's now claiming 369,000 HK dollars as a compensation, including accomodation, hospital charges and penalties.

At court yesterday Mr Olding said that while he was drinking the juice he could not see any objects in the glass, only guessing the size when he drank a bit of the pineapple juice. When he stucked a finger into the glass he discovered there were still glasses in it, so he complained to a crew onboard. He said that the crew also stucked a finger into the glass, and also asked Mr. Olding if he's feeling sick.

Defender of Singapore Airlines however, said that they did no recieve any complains. Also from the 4 different medical reports, there were no signs that Mr Olding had any internal injuries caused by the glasses he claimed, or internally bleeding. And according to the crew that had contact with him, he was actually taking alchohol, and was actually drunk, and maybe he was only imagining that there were pieces of glasses in the juice. Defender of Singapore Airlines also said that they will never provide any beverages with glasses.

Case DCPI 145/01 will continue next month on the 22nd at the regional court.

Best Regards

jaysit

RE: Passenger Sues SQ For Glasses In Pineapple Juice

Fri May 31, 2002 9:26 am

Sounds like another case of a Drunken oaf on board seeing things...
Atheism is Myth Understood.

flyingbronco05

Fri May 31, 2002 9:54 am

Nobody MADE him drink the juice. He should not be rewarded for being a moron. He has no proof it was glass, it could have been some of his false teeth Laugh out loud.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

hkgspotter1

Fri May 31, 2002 9:56 am

**IF** they found glass in the drink then SQ should pay. HOWEVER 10 days in hospital does seem a little OTT !!

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2002 12:33 pm

One more thing that Hkspotter reminded me, he had no proof it was glass as there was no evidence. I mean if there was glass in the drink, he could have saved it as an evidence. However, he didn't.

Best Regards

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri May 31, 2002 3:55 pm

The fact that he's even complaining makes SIA guilty or look guilty.

I think the cabin crew could very well be crucial. I wonder if they will confirm the story?

I think SIA should ask it's suppliers to be more careful.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

VH-DAQ

Fri May 31, 2002 4:59 pm

actually sinapore_air the statement released implied or more strongly suggested that it happened during the preparation of the beverage onboard the aircraft therefore leaving singapore liable.

i know that there are some people that are just out to make a quick buck so take everything with a grain of salt but if the story is true i totally agree with the gentleman and SQ should be forced to pay all damages!

HOOroo
DAQ

Ex_SQer

Fri May 31, 2002 6:04 pm

There are too many idiots out there trying to take airlines for a ride. I can write a book about the their antics. Passengers returning from holiday in Bali claim their bags have been pilfered, and they inevitably have cashmere or mohair sweaters in there. blah blah blah blah....

L-188

Fri May 31, 2002 6:18 pm

And you guys thought lawsuits like that only happened in America  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jesseycy

RE: Passenger Sues SQ For Glasses In Pineapple Jui

Fri May 31, 2002 6:55 pm

Hmm, whereis he suing? Is he suing in Hong Kong, or Singapore? What do you do with cases like these?

easyJet737

Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:50 am

Erm he works for a glass company?
Maybe he planned it so that he could sue them and placed the glass in it himself or maybe because he worked with glass and was drunk made the alligation because he has alot of knowledge of the glass industry and is just barking mad!

Greg

Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:11 am

The only testimony that will actually matter (if it were tried in the States) would be from the doctor. Since he can determine:
The extent of the injury;
The likely cause of the injury (i.e. sharp object, virus, bacteria, etc.)
Prognosis for recovery.

If there was glass, then SQ is to blame. I'm a bit concerned about 10 days in the hospital--even for such a potentially hazardous problem.

I'll be the first to say, that in all likelihood, unless glass was actually found, it was ice. And the illness is unrelated.

I have access to a lawsuit database..the suits/claims against airlines are relatively non-existant when compared to car dealerships and motor vehicle accidents.

skyhawk

Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:21 am

This guy claimed there was glass bits in his pineapple juice, yet he seems to have no proof at all. Strange isn't it? After all, without trying to sound gross or anything else, if he drank glass, at some point he would be able to retrieve the same bits. The hospital would have been able to do this in much less than 10 days.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos