MAH4546

Varig: Salvador To LIS, MAD, CDG, FRA, MIA

Fri May 31, 2002 8:42 am

Varig seems to see a lot of potnential in Salvador, Brazil. In addition to launching already announced weekly non-stop service this July to Miami, Salvador will also see:

Madrid, twice a week starting 2 July.
Frankfurt, weekly starting 10 September.
Paris, weekly starting 10 September
Lisbon, thrice a week starting 8 September with a stop in Recife both ways.

In addition to these new exotic routes, Varig also operates international services from secondary gateways of Fortazela to Milan Malpensa, Manaus to Miami, and Belem to Miami. Flights between both Fortazela and Recife to Miami, suspended after 9.11, will resume this fall as well. I am somewhat surprised, however, that they don't operate more routes from Lisbon.
a.

chepos

RE: Varig: Salvador To LIS, MAD, CDG, FRA, MIA

Fri May 31, 2002 9:28 am

Lisbon and Madrid to Salvador makes alot of sense but I dont really see a market for FRA and CDG. I believe they should concentrate on Long Hauls that they really see potential in- like Salvador-MIA,LIS,MAD instead of going into experimental routes like FRA and CDG. Maybe Im wrong
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

MAH4546

Fri May 31, 2002 9:48 am

Chepos, we'll have to see. It will be intresting. Brazil is a huge tourist market from Europe, as I am sure you know, especially Portugal and Italy. I am somewhat surprised they are not trying out SSA-MXP/FCO over CDG/FRA. Also surpising is that destination-wise (not frequency wise), SSA will have a more impressive collection of long hauls than GIG (which has MIA, FRA just started, and soon JFK). And where is GIG-LIS? That is a real shocker that they do not fly it. I'm thinking that the SSA flights will be good to feed flights to NE Brazil. SSA is much closer to NE Brazil than GRU, and will cut a lot of time off. A correction, however: SSA-CDG will originate in GIG with same plane service.
a.

Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:08 pm

Is VARIG developing Salvador as the 3rd hub?

MAH4546

Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:33 am

Jiml1126, no they are not creating a third hub in Salvador. Salvador has a very large population base and they are just making it easier for residents of the region to get to Miami and Europe easier. They won't have to back track to Sao Paulo or Rio to the South and they won't have to go through the congestion at GRU eiter.
a.