lindy field

RE: One Year And Still No Flying

Fri May 31, 2002 11:21 pm

That's really exciting. I'm thrilled for you. I've actually flown several times since September 11th and had no bad experiences aside from a little hassle in airports which I can accept if it will save lives.

See you next time I take the train or get stuck in traffic.

Matt D
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2002 11:25 pm

But WILL it save lives?

That's the 64,000 dollar question.

That's the thing I don't understand. The system worked well for what? 6 decades before? More people died in weather and pilot error related disasters than the 9/11 bandids even dreamed of killing. And they played "by the rules".

So because of one event (albeit an atrocity, yes), all of a sudden, we need to have a "lockdown" to prevent an event that will probably never happen again anyway?

Rick767

Fri May 31, 2002 11:25 pm

Thank you for sharing that with us, it was a most enlightening insight into a topic so many people have clearly agonised over and longed to hear about for such a long time.  Insane
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

L-188

Fri May 31, 2002 11:31 pm

Hey Matt D isn't alone.

I also haven flown since last August.

I am not going out of my way to do so either.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

lindy field

Fri May 31, 2002 11:44 pm

Hey, if you tried flying, you might find that the increased security measures don't really constitute a lockdown. I've found them to be an inconvenience, but not any great infringement of my rights.

Will it save lives? I really don't know. I suspect the general public will never really know. But I would guess that for all the flaws of the system, the improved security measures probably act as a deterrant to potential hijackers, terrorists, or copy-cat criminals. Furthermore, the security measures have helped restore the public's confidence in the aviation system, which is vital for the nation's economy.

I think that you (Matt D & L-188) are over-reacting to a situation that is really not so bad. Since a year has passed since you've flown, you might take the time to re-evaluate your decision in light of the fact that the new measures have been widely accepted by the general public. Traveling is good for the soul.  Smile

aa61hvy

Fri May 31, 2002 11:46 pm

man i WANT to fly, i know im flying in August to DAY, i flew to MIA and MBJ in march, im not real scared, if something does happen im willing to kick some ass. as the bumper sticker reads "terrorists beware, rugby player on board"
Go big or go home

Matt D
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2002 11:48 pm

Oh yeah....I can just see it now:

" Hey Ahmad!"
"Yes Bashar?"
"Did you detonate that 10 pounds of C4 next to gate 205 at ONT"?
"No"
"Why not?"
"Because they don't allow non-ticketed people near the gate."
"Shucks. Foiled again".

airsicknessbag

Fri May 31, 2002 11:54 pm

>>>The system worked well for what? 6 decades before? More
people died in weather and pilot error related disasters than the 9/11 bandids even dreamed
of killing. And they played "by the rules".

So because of one event (albeit an atrocity, yes), all of a sudden, we need to have a
"lockdown" to prevent an event that will probably never happen again anyway?

Hey, I can´t believe I agree with Matt D for once.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy The above statement hits the nail exactly on the head.
BTW, here in Europe things are much more relaxed, a) because security was already strict before last September and b) because we´ve had to fight terrorism for the past 50 years. I´ve flown a couple of times since September 11, in Europe, Asia and Africa, and nothing noticeable has changed.

Daniel Smile

Braniff727

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:01 am

Ok, so you're boycotting the airlines because of the government imposed security restrictions. You further went on to say that the airlines should not have received money from the government, even though there have been disasters in the past that have taken more lives. Since the government shut the industry down for 4 days, shouldn't they have to pay?

Then you mentioned the other associated industries, hotels, rental cars, theme parks and airport concessions. Well having recently been to theme parks, there seems to be no problems. Airport concessions were hurt, but don't have the overhead. Hotels had high occupancy since no one could fly, and car rental companies had no cars available.

I don't see the logic. You're blaming the airline industry for something that was beyond its control.

Now I'm not trying to make a personal attack. If you choose not to fly, that's fine with me, I respect your decision. I don't understand it, but I respect it.
Climbing

Matt D
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:08 am

It's not that I don't realize that the 4 day shutdown (precipitated by teh events of 9/11) was out of the airlines control. I don't hold them responsible for that.

What I DO hold them responsible for are the series of failures (and hiring of incompetent screning personnel) that allowed the disasters to happen in the first place.

It's kind of someone that wraps their car around a telephone pole because they were driving drunk.

I feel sorry for them because of the immediate injuries. What I don't feel sorry for is the circumstances that LED to the injuries, which was driving drunk-which had they not been doing, the crash would never have occured. So in essence my attitude would be "I feel for you....but you knew what you were getting yourself into and the gamble you were taking. Now that you're a parapelegic, oh well...sucks to be you".

Turtle

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:26 am

Personally, I think you are punishing yourself more than the airline industry. The security restrictions can be an annoying and invasive inconvenience but, it's not going to stop me from taking a vacation over seas or visiting my family across the continent. What if you got a fantastic job offer that required some travel?

Braniff727

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:31 am

But Matt, you said in one of your posts that the terrorists "played by the rules."

The screeners did their jobs. Nothing brought onboard was illegal at the time.
Climbing

Matt D
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:40 am

Why were boxcutters legal?

What possible need would there be for such items on board?

The Government had these people on a "watched" list. There was the issue of all of them taking flight lessons, and then all being booked for flights on the same day. Why was no action taken?

Why is it that completing high school was not even a requisite for being hired as a screener? Why is it that the screeners hired seem to fit more of a political agenda (women, minorities, cripples, and seniors) than anything else?

Like I said, it's not about the fact that the rules were broken. It's the rules themselves that I am calling into question.

The solution does not lie at the doorr to the cockpit, or the jetway. It does not lie in the concourse, or even who gets let into the concourse. The solution (that no one wants to tackle) is who gets placed at the scurity checkpoints and who is allowed into the country.

saxman66

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:59 am

OK, i've flown many times and I really don't mind the security. Its not a big hassle for me. And as for people who choose not to fly because of the gov't is just a little odd to me. Can't wait till I sit in that pilots seat!
Ride Amtrak!

Braniff727

Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:07 am

I don't know why box cutters, or blades of up to 3 inches were legal. Was that the airline's fault?

Some of the terrorists were on the watch list, yes. This is the FBI's responsibility. We have seen how well they were doing their job.

The airlines played by the rules as well. They did what the government asked of them at the time. Hire people to screen luggage for the following prohibited items. That was done.

I agree that having Grandpa Jones try to run a terrorist down is not a good idea, but that is why the police have always been at the airports. Having a high school diploma really means nothing. It means that in some school system, despite how good or bad it is, you did at least the bare minimum to get it. How is that going to protect against terrorism?

Matt, it doesn't matter who we put at the check points. If the rules allow something that can be used as a wepon to be brought past security, then you can have the Marines, or a fleet of blue-haired old women there. People can get it through the checkpoint.
Climbing

hkgspotter1

Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:09 am

Was it Matt D that made that silly post after the 911 thing. You know about his life ending and he could never have anything to do with aviation again, selling all his plane models the works.

That was a very funny post !!

Anyway I flew in January, got my first MD-90 and A300-600. At least if less people fly the rest of us get more space  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ual777contrail

Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:28 am

i know this comment serves no purpose ,do you actualy think you are going to make a diffrence?

or are you just never going to fly again?

i would be willing to be you are a vast minority in this situation.like one of the other guys said earlyer.i love to fly.i have been to
PEK
MSP
ORD
LAX
SFO
NRT

all since sep11.
and i dont like the security but you have to go throught he motions if big brother says so.

ual 777 contrail

Matt D
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:50 am

you have to go throught he motions if big brother says so

Wow....ignorance must be bliss. Maybe I'll come visit you when I need a break from reality.

I'm glad that you like Big Brother. I know he likes you, cuz you'll roll over, jump, do whatever he says. Basically your a bitch lemming to The Establishment.

So when the day comes (which because of people like you, it will), that Big Brother says where we work, where we live, when we live, and when we die, you're going to sit there, like a big fat lump on a log and say....."derrr........ok....da-dum-da-dum....whatever you say Big Brother".

Braniff727

Sat Jun 01, 2002 2:40 am

I agree with you Matt, I don't like Big Brother. I want to keep the money I earn and so on, but may I point out some contradictions...

You say that we need to change who we have at the check points, but isn't that Big Brother?

Since the big issue here is Big Brother and the way the government has handled things, why again is it that boycottting the airlines is effective?

The issue of civil liberties and air travel is something that has been on my mind a lot since this Fall. All I can say is that there has to be a medium that can be reached. If we get rid of security planes are going to come out of the sky and kill thousands, but the only way to make it completely safe is to strip search everone that has access of any kind to an aircraft.

Neither of these are practical. What to do then? Well for our safety as a people, for our basic human freedom to live without fear, we need to give up some of those other civil liberties for the time that we are flying. That is not to say that we should give them up in society in general.

Is it going to make us 100% safe? No. Is it going to make us safer? Yes. We can only learn from our mistakes and try not to make them again. That's life.
Climbing

ual777contrail

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:19 am

matt d,
you have to be the most retarded person on this forum,did you drive the little yellow bus? or were you the window licker in the second row?
who cares if some tree hugger wants to complain, this industry is hurting and the government is so bad,i am not pro government but i am not anti-government like you little matty.when do you hold your flag burning parites.

we as americans may make the same mistakes over and over,news flash monkey boy humanity has made the same mistakes over and over.

i like your stupid comments about me,i hope your 7-11, third shift working ass likes greyhound,coase it's people like you who need to travel amtrak and greyhound so they will contiune to operate.

you cant change the government because some idiot kid wants to boycott airtravel.airlines would go under,and your posts are lame,opinionated and not very well thought out.

some of you may not like my answers to this moron who has a problem with paying for security.do i feel safer? no,but until I can carry a gun onboard i guess i better do what i have to to play my part in airtravel.

matt d i really hope you like greyhound.ha,ha

ual 777 contrail

Matt D
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:29 am

ual 777 contrail:

Why do I get this inkling you're trying to tell me somthing?  Insane

As for the rest of the topic, I see no need to explain myself again. Everything that needs to be said can be read in the linked posts.

hkg82

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:32 am

Matt D:
I think you're over-reacting. The new security measures makes flying safer even though people will have to give up some of their civil liberties, but it's something that they're willing to go through as evidenced by the rebound in passenger traffic. Doesn't that encourage you to travel and be on your first flight since 9/11? And it's not like the US government is changing to a dictatorship form of governance in society, but the change is only at the airports (and saying that it's a dictatorship type of governing at the airports is too an exaggeration!) to ensure that flying is safe & as secure as it can get.

But of course, the security improvements aren't 100% effective (don't think any form of security is) and anything can happen at anytime, but that's how life works. I hope you do plan on resuming air travel soon. Let me make it clear that I respect but don't fully comprehend your feelings.

Hkg82.

Matt D
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:43 am

I think you're over-reacting.

How so?

The new security measures makes flying safer even though people will have to give up some of their civil liberties

So in essence what you are saying here is that the old adage "he who surrenders liberty for peace deserves neither liberty nor peace" is basically moot and torpedoed straight to thebottom?

Respectfully, I don't buy yiur statement even for a second.

Doesn't that encourage you to travel and be on your first flight since 9/11?

Not by any stretch of the imagination. The point of no return passed long ago. I will not get on a plane unless it's a dire, inescapable emergency and there are no other options (up to and including hitchhiking and being a boxcar hobo on the BNSF.)

And it's not like the US government is changing to a dictatorship form of governance in society

Oh? And what makes you arrive at that conclusion? You mean that placing National Guards, strip searches, voice recordings, and retinal scans AREN'T something right out of "1984"?

And if the public accepts this, what reason will the government have to NOT implement these practices throughout society? All they have to do is say "it's for our own safety" like they are now, and the American people, being the gullible dumbshits that they are, will swallow the pitch hook, line, and sinker.

But of course, the security improvements aren't 100% effective (don't think any form of security is) and anything can happen at anytime, but that's how life works

Understood. But you don't beef up security by using punitive measures against the very people supposedly bing protected. If there are KNOWN terrorist cells in this country, and the governmnt has probable, provable cause to believe that something is in the pipeline, why wait for them to strike? Why not sweep them up and be done with it? Why not revamp our immigration policies to try and weed out these cretins before they get in?

I hope you do plan on resuming air travel soon

Don't hold your breath.

srbmod

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:56 am

I haven't flown since November of 2000, and that's only because I am not able to non-rev any more, and really don't like spending the money for a ticket. So a year's no big deal. I've in the past gone 15 years and then 8.5 years without flying.

Matt D
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:35 am

Geez....the sudden silence on this matter is deafening. Especially since my dissection of HKG82's message.

I wonder why that is.

auswnfan

Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:00 am

Lemieux66

Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:12 am

"...But you don't beef up security by using punitive measures against the very people supposedly bing protected. If there are KNOWN terrorist cells in this country, and the governmnt has probable, provable cause to believe that something is in the pipeline, why wait for them to strike? Why not sweep them up and be done with it?"

And while we're there let's just throw out "innocent before proven guilty", due process, illegal search and seizure and a lot of other things that are there to protect your civil liberties.

You talk of your fear of the government doing whatever it wants and then the average american accepting it.. yet you're ASKING for the government to do whatever it wants for these "probable" terrorists (things that are currently against the law and constitution). Isn't this a bit hypocritical? What happens if the govt then thinks that you are a terrorist. Double standard?

lindy field

Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:26 am

Matt D,

"And if the public accepts this, what reason will the government have to NOT implement these practices throughout society? All they have to do is say 'it's for our own safety' like they are now, and the American people, being the gullible dumbshits that they are, will swallow the pitch hook, line, and sinker."

Your disdain for the American public is utterly contemptible. What makes you think that you're superior to most other Americans? Your statements in this thread incline me to believe the opposite.

Matt D
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:40 am

What makes you think that you're superior to most other Americans?

When a population can be convinced to surrender their birthrights in the name of 'safety' for something that may or may not happen, that is a very moronic society indeed.

I never said outright that I am on a pedestal above everyone else. But I am definitely in the minority. Not to intentionaly toot my own trumpet, but I'm probably on to something bigger than even I realize as well as something most people DON'T want to recognize. You know "see no evil, hear no evil...ignorance is bliss" mentality? The government is taking a piss on my leg and trying to tell me that it's raining. Most people are accepting that statement, and not asking too many (if any) questions. They are simply accepting what is being told to them by the Voice Of Authority. As I've stated in other topics, Americans are blind conformists that love to follow each other around. Our culture is definitely one of the blind leading the blind. I know the heat that I'm going to draw. Because someone that takes a stance as I have, to ask questions, and question Authority and judgement is not a "majority" mindset. It is even seen as "unpatriotic" or "rebellious".

No one wants to be the "outcast".

So in that sense, I feel I AM better than most of the Citizens here.

Everything else, I'm average. Better than some. Not as good as others.

And as for the "double standard", I never said that the Government should do away with Due Process. I put the "PROVABLE" and "KNOWN" qualifiers in there. So again, I feel I covered my ass...due process will already have taken place.

ben88

Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:26 am

I agree with Matt D. This may put me on some people's disrespected users list, but the truth is most Americans are willing to trade their inalienable rights for an increased "feeling" of safety. What most people don't understand is that legislation will be passed based on the 11th which will affect American citizen's civil liberties. The authorities already had the power before the 11th to prevent the event, they simply failed. Now we are going to give federal bodies MORE power, and we are going to take away people's rights in order to make them more safe. Seems a bit ironic to me. Kind of like "if you don't wear your seatbelt you get a ticket"....Now don't get me wrong I always wear a seatbelt, but if someone does not want to, who is the government to force that indivual to protect himself? Wake up to reality people...Flying is not safer now than it was before the 11th. We now know that these terrorists are willing to sacrifice their lives. Most of them are highly educated and much more logical than OUR governemnt. We all know that most luggage that goes onto aircraft in the U.S. is not x-rayed. So in reality positive bag matching does nothing for safety either. So the FAA came up with this nice little scheme to ridicule pilots and steal nail clippers from them as though they would stab themselves while performing an ILS approach.

CMK10

Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:03 am

Oh blow it out your ass you whiney guy. If someone said tommorow "Hey Charles want to fly AirAfganistan?" i'd say window or aisle?
If the airlines are boycut they win we lose. I'm not going to let anyone beat me!
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

Greg

Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:15 am

You make a very indulgent presumption that we are interested in your personal decisions.

I think I speak for many when I say, we simply do not care if you choose not to fly. Or if you buy a domestic or import car. Or what you have for breakfast.

Why would you think otherwise?

777236ER

Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:41 am

but the truth is most Americans are willing to trade their inalienable rights for an increased "feeling" of safety

Like racial profiling....?
Your bone's got a little machine

nonrevman

Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:02 am

Since this thread is about opinions, here is mine  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

The concern that privacy and certain rights could be eroded is valid. I can see how the wrong people could abuse "emergency powers" and go far beyond what they were intended for. My fear is that ordinary citizens somehow fall victim to some type of government harassment in the name of combating terrorism. The question is: where do we draw the line? Yes, there are additional measures necessary, because the rules have changed since September 11. There seems to be a concensus that additional security precautions are needed at the airport, however the present system is not really working towards that goal. It often appears to be cosmetic rather than practical. As Don Carty and Leo Mullin have indicated, if certain unnecessary inconveniences continue at the airport, it could ruin the industry. If you harass Granny in her wheelchair, the business traveller, and everyone else at the security check when it is not necessary, then these people will seek to avoid flying whenever possible. Yes, everything needs to be scanned and checked. Suspicious behavior and certain patterns need to be monitored. I think we need to give fingernail clippers, removing belt buckles and shoes that beep, confiscating medals of honor, and making people drink their science project a rest.

With the issue of boycotting air travel, this will do absolutely nothing to hurt the ones responsible for the mess at security--the federal government. If enough people boycott travel, it may hurt the airlines, but not the ones who make the rules. Do you call this a victory? Treating the disease by killing the patient may not be the best solution.

One other thing. At least at my airport and some of the ones that I have flown through, security has gained some degree of efficiency. They have gotten somewhat better. Maybe it will just take time. Now, I have to go find some shoes that do not have a metal shank in them  Big grin

Lemieux66

Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:15 am

Ah, but 777236ER, he says that the govt has "provable and probable cause", which obviously makes it not "racial profiling"... (sarcasm)...

All I can think of is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, by Tom Stoppard:

"Guild: We can do what we like and say what we like to whomever we like, without restriction.
Ros: Within limits of course.
Guild: Certainly within limits. "

Sorry if the reference isnt widely recognized.. it was just all I could htink of. Heh, oh well. What a silly topic.

John

Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:57 am

Matt, you are entitled to your opinion, however I think you know air travel will NEVER be the same. Security was way too lax pre 9/11, anyway. NOW, of course it's OVERKILL. And believe me, most of it's all smoke and mirrors right now, anyhow. Until ALL bags and cargo on EVERY flight is screened with CTX bomb detection equipment in place at EVERY U.S. commercial airport, it will never be 100% secure. That's just the way it is. And Matt, if YOU, as a single person, boycotting the airline industry, think you can make a difference, all power to ya, my friend?! It just seems to me you might be bitter against airline A or B? SO, don't fly those particular airlines you despise, or maybe don't feel safe with? Why deprive yourself? We must MOVE ON in our lives, so GET OVER IT, because it ain't f'cking worth it! The WORLD as we know it, is changing dramatically and you either ride the wave or fall off the board, is how I look at it!

LoneStarMike

Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:18 am

It's not that I don't realize that the 4 day shutdown (precipitated by teh events of 9/11) was out of the airlines control. I don't hold them responsible for that.

What I DO hold them responsible for are the series of failures (and hiring of incompetent screning personnel) that allowed the disasters to happen in the first place.

By "them", I assume you are referring to the airlines. However, I would like to point out that it was the government who set the regulations that the security firms were expected to adhere to. When those security firms repeatedly failed to meet those regulations, it should have been the government's responsibility to ground the security firms, rather than blaming (and fining) the airlines for hiring those firms.

Here's another way to look at it. The government is also in charge of regulating airline maintanence. If the airline fails to maintain its aircraft properly or has repeated safety violations, the government has the option of taking away the airline's operating certificate and grounding the airline, thus preventing the customer (the passenger) from doing business with the airline, just like they did when they shut down Valujet for a period of time. The government didn't respond by fining the customer (the passenger.)

But in the case of the security firms, that is exactly what they did. They fined the customer. Since the airline is the one paying the security firms to provide them (the airlines) a service, then that would make the airline the customer. What the government should have done is ground the unacceptable security firms, thus preventing the customer (the airlines) from doing business with the bad security firms.

Expecting the airlines to enforce the government's security regulations woud be the same as expecting the passengers to enforce the government's airline maintainance regulations, IMHO.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but I think you are blaming the wrong party.

LoneStarMike

flymia

Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:37 pm

How stupid to think the extra security. In MIA and FLL the security is great. Everybody must be checked twice and 1 out of every 7 people probly have there shoes checked. If the new security was not in place and new rules ther would of been more atttacks but now they are scared the terrorist. Also the passengers would not allow anybody to take over the plane any more.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:46 pm

Matt D,

Would you like a sticker that says "I'm Special?"

Look at me! I want attention!

Get a life bro.
Chicks dig winglets.

2cn

Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:03 pm

I've flown with the added security, and I gotta ask this- What really is the big deal with this suposed added security? I didn't have any "added hassle" going thru security- all the times I did pass thru security, it felt just like it did pre 9/11.. except for instance in LAX, in the DL terminal they have all new metal detectors and it has alot more "eye candy" to make people feel safe (monitors with a feed of each metal detector and the person walking thru, above the detectors... other monitors flashing instructions on what is and isnt allowed.. what the procedure is now.. etc)- boarding as well, no hassles (and I was a non rev... flying to multiple cities within 24 hours, with just having listed about 5 hours before our first flight)... *shrugs*

I think MattD is over reacting and blaming the wrong people- the Airlines didn't set the federal law permitting the terrorists to carry on box cutters and small knives.. the FAA did. The airlines had no way as far as I know to prevent them from getting them past security, so blaming them is just plain stupid. I also share the sentiment that we don't care about you not flying. If you wish to bow down to the terrorist and do one of the many things they wanted to happen-then good for you.

GDB

Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:39 pm

As has been pointed out, Europe had tougher security before Sept. 11th, now I know some of you may think we are under some kind of authoritarian yoke over here, not true, people are used to the security and it does not impede air travel.
No such thing as perfect security, but why make it really easy for terrorists? Yes there are slip-ups, but if the general impression is of tighter security, it will probably make terrorists shy away at an early stage of their planning.
In a previous thread on this subject Matt lumped in Europe with Africa, ('I don't care what happens elsewhere') that sort of ignorance actually created the midset that allowed the attacks to take place, 'we're American's, we're free and no-one would dare hit us.'
Well we've rather more experience in dealing with terrorists, which gives us the right to comment.
Fact is, US domestic air travel was in a fools paradise prior to the attacks.
In 1996/7, proposals to upgrade domestic security were blocked by the airline's lobbyists on Capitol Hill.
And the FAA has had the cheek to criticise other nations' security.

BDRules

Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:59 pm

Matt, did you fly before the terrible day of 9/11????? well personally i dont feel anything has changed regarding the security measures that i have noticed apart from a few more body searches and bag checks but i have flown 6 times since then within europe and i have never felt unsafe.
but then again i do see where you r coming from. i was a bit ............ not tense but weary when i was at the airport for the first time getting on a plane i didnt trust anyone.
Now the way i see it is that you have got more of a chance of crashing you car & getting killed or getting on a train and being involved in an incident than you have from breaking wind on an aircraft.

That is my personal view and dont take it in the wrong way