blink182

ORD- No Slots

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:35 am

I was curious as to what everybody thinks will happen to ORD once it becomes a non-slotted airport.

I for one think American and United might be quick to introduce some routes that they have wanted to serve.

I for one am sure that AA will expand southward and go ORD-S. America and I have a gut feeling United might do the same to help pick up for Miami.

What do you think?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

B747-437B

RE: ORD- No Slots

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:47 am

Based upon preliminary schedules released for flights beyond July 2 (which is the first day without slot controls), the trend appears to be towards spreading out frequencies and consolidating their market share in existing areas rather than pursue expansion straight off the bat.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

TimeForFlight

Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:41 am

I think the airlines have brains behind them. Regardless of whether an airport is slotted or not, only a certian number of flgihts can be flown into and out of the airport on a daily basis. If the airlines each pack more flgihts into ORD already full schedule, they will undoubtedly run into horrible delays. Runways can't handle more than their capacity of flights an hour (whether that be written on paper or figurative) and there are only so many gates for aircraft to utilize. If ORD becomes busier the delays will become longer. If the delays become longer hundreds of others flights each day will be delayed. ORD has the magnificence of creating a domino effect. When one thing happens there a secession of other events can also occur around the country. Until the airport can truly handle more aircraft movements and can demonstrate that successfully I don't see the airlines adding more flights to an airport at its maximum capacity.

Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:46 am

I'm guessing that the airline execs remember what happened at LGA, or should I say the clusterf**k, when that happened. They probably realize that they can't just go gung-ho and throw in dozens of RJ flights to smaller cities with no more slots.

blink182

Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:21 am

I kept the LGA situation in mind, believe me. I didn't mean that AA and UA would each start 20 new flights. I meant more like 3-5 flights each a day.

I do think eventually, AA may try to play "catch-up" with United and go head on with similar capacity and frequency in some markets in order to take some marketshare. True, AA is large at ORD, but they have always been second to United.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...