PacificFlyer

New Airline Linking Laos And France?

Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:23 am

My mum told me that her friend knew a guy that will start a new airline linking Laos and France? I thought this is very strange, could this be true?

mariner

RE: New Airline Linking Laos And France?

Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:18 am

Pacificflyer:

it's a bit odd, I agree, but not totally weird. Laos was part of the French colony called Indochine, which included Vietnam.

The French have been gone for years, but French influence is still very strong - more people speak French than English, for example.

It is a very poor country, and not high on the list of tourist destinations, at least, not yet. BUT - the French love going to tropical countries where their language is widely understood, and it's certainly exotic.

There could be enough tourists for a weekly flight, maybe, but I think most Europeans would choose it as an "add-on" to other places, such as Vietnam. I doubt there's that much traffic originating from Laos.

Still, stranger things have happened.

cheers

mariner

aeternum nauta

PacificFlyer

RE: New Airline Linking Laos And France?

Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:13 am

If this airline ever gets off the ground, it could boost tourism to the country I agree, going into a new market. Because as of now, the most tourist is probably from Thailand, with both Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways flying into Laos.