Omegous
Topic Author

What Involved In A 1st Class Medical?

Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:30 am

What is involved in getting a first class medical? How long does it usually take? Hard to pass?

I have good hearing and eyesight (based on a recent checkup) and am in pretty decent shape (albeit a little larger around the waste  Wink/being sarcastic)

I am getting one on Friday because I am taking lessons, and I want to make sure that I can pursue and aviation career (thus the 1st class medical).

Anything I need to be prepared for?

Inbound

RE: What Involved In A 1st Class Medical?

Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:41 am

sorry I didn't check your info to see where you are, but for now I'll assume you're in the US.

I'll also assume the Canadian and American Class 1 medicals are almost similar because I hold a canadian Cat 1 Medical.

It's nothing, haha.
the more important parts are the Electro-Cardiogram (ECG) and chest X-Ray.
Then comes a hearing test, and a bunch of eye tests....read the charts etc.
And the rest are just basic medical check up stuff like check your weight, height, do you smoke, how much alcohol you consume per week, test your pee.

and that's about it. with the exception of the ECG and X-Ray, the rest usually takes about 30-60 minutes.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

Omegous
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:43 am

I am a heavy guy and big guy (but I fit in a cessna comfortably :-P) will being overweight be a serious problem? I don't have any heart or blood pressure problems that I know of.

And yes, this is in the United States.

Omegous
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:45 am

Oh, and I don't smoke or drink alcohol or do any drugs of any kind.

I know my vision is really good and my hearing is fine.

I should be pretty good then?

SAS-A321

Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:55 am

Is it correct what I have heard about the FAA eye test, that it's okay to wear glasses not matter which strength?
It's Scandinavian

Inbound

Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:14 pm

Omegous, you'll be fine during the test.......it's a high standard test, but not as picky as you're probably expecting.
I actually put down how much beers I drink for the week on my form, haha.

SAS,
I'm not sure about the FAA, but in canada, and here in the caribbean, as long as you can CORRECT your eyesight back to 20/20, you're granted the Cat 1 medical.
That includes glasses, contacts etc....but if my memory serves me right....NOT laser surgery.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:13 pm

I had laser surgery and they didn't care on my 1st class.

-Sean

mls515

Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:15 pm

Omegus,

Thanks for posting that. I had the exact same question. I'm probably a little overweight or else need to trade fat for muscle. I don't exercise regularly so I'm worried about being scolded for a high resting heart rate, etc..

I can pass the eye test at the DOT without glasses, even for my commercial license with passenger endorsement but I do have a mild prescription. My hearing is fine as far as I can tell.

And I'm going in for my FAA medical, you guessed it, on Friday. My instructor said I might as well shoot for the 1st class right away just so you'll know if you'll have problems in the future. The first class doesn't last as long, but after some time passes it will revert a second class and then after more time it will revert to a third class so it will last just as long as if you had just got the third class to begin with.

I still don't know what I should do. I was planning on talking to the people at the doctor's office about it.

jhooper

Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:28 pm

I'm pretty sure it's basically the same exam as the 3rd class, with higher standards. I took a 1st class and the examiner was actually LESS thorough than the previous 3rd class that I took. I was out of there in less than 5 minutes. No hearing test, no chest x-ray, no ECG.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

tguman

Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:03 pm

Do they do any blood tests in Canada. I will be moving there shortly and will be pursuing my Licenses and Certificates. I ask this because this morning I had an aweful experience at the medical lab. The blood was taken from me, then I fainted (I think it is low blood pressure). TGUman
Life is a Mine Field.