wirraway

Qantas Being Lured By Star Alliance?

Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:28 pm

Reported in todays (Fri) "Australian Financial Review"

"The Star Alliance airlines are considering a radical proposal to woo Qantas Airways away from the rival oneworld alliance - an alternative to the formidable option of launching a new airline to fill the gap left by Ansett's collapse."

Wirraway

rmm

RE: Qantas Being Lured By Star Alliance?

Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:49 pm

Wirraway,

It's posted a bit further down the list, however I can see Dixon using this as tool to QF's advantage - a delaying tactic for any SIA start up.
Would this be a test case defection if it happens?

Rmm

flying-b773

Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:07 pm

if star is successful, well, what would happen to the QF's hub at SIn? would it benefit QF more or less? anyway, dont see the benefit of having QF... AN is good, as they do not compete with most star members, but in addition helps to feed star flights.. if QF were to take over AN's place, there would be a big problem, since it competes heavily on the LHR route with SQ, TG, the pacific routes with NZ, UA, and perhaps more routes... dont think QF fits the role here... maybe theres really a need for star's own OZ domestic carrier.. that helps, not compete.... juz my 2 cents.. hv a nice day  Smile

Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:23 pm

This confirms it. The Star Alliance needs psychiatric treatment. They have become completely delusional. What will their next proposal be to bring the DOT into their alliance so that all their alliance agreements will be fast-tracked?

BA has a 25% ownership stake in QF and a seat on the QF board. But, somehow the megalomaniacs over at Star think this shouldn't be an obstacle.

QF currently benefits from having an alliance partner in the US (AA) who does not fly itself to Australia. Of course, it only stands to reason, he says sarcastically, that they would jettison AA for UA. Not only would they be helping a direct competitor (UA) better compete against it, but they would probably have to jettison routes and potentially slots to get regulatory approval. AA, Delta and Northwest would scream bloody murder. If you thought the DOT almost gutted BA when it wanted anti-trust immunity for AA/BA, then, you've seen nothing yet. Either UA or QF could be stripped of a significant number of their routes and slots to and from Australia. Like BA, QF benefits handsomely from its routes to the US. Yet, the Star Alliance somehow thinks that QF would forego its own interests to join them. QF is no Thai Airlines.

When one also factors into the equation the operational integration that BA and QF have achieved at the Singapore Hub, one can't help but laugh at the possibility that this was actually discussed at the Star Alliance meeting. I am beginning to think that the CEO of Singapore Airlines bought his doctorate from some diploma mill. Alas, management of the Star Alliance must be as "stupid" as the management of United Airlines. That is the only thing that explains such a ridiculous proposal.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:39 pm

Because the media are reporting it doesn't mean they are actually considering it.

But such a consideration is stupid, however the end result is favourable.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

blink182

Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:14 am

Somebody tell me this is a joke, or as Ladevale said, "The Star Alliance needs psychiatric treatment."

-US DOT would not allow this to go through. United has a somewhat sizable operation in Oceania, combine that with Qantas, competition has no chance at succeeding.

-British Airways is on the QF board, end of story.

-Qantas and American recently signed a 10 year agreement. I also must note that Qantas has/will recently move into AA's LAX terminal.

-AA has no flights into Australia or New Zealand, so Qantas binefits tremendously as all of AA's pax transfer to Qantas. If American were to ever fly to Australia, it would be from a city that currently recieves no Qantas service.

-The main reason American and Qantas got approval was the fact that American has no flights into Australia.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...