vfw614

Airlines And Travel Concessions For Journalists?

Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:13 am

On some airline websites or on press material by airlines I have noticed contact details for journalists who want to make a booking with the airline. Is it that journalists do get cheaper tickets like airline / travel industry employees and if so, is there a standard policy by IATA carriers how much such tickets are discounted ? I am not talking about the occasional goodie in return for a favourable article (bad enogh....) but about a standard policy.

pressclub

RE: Airlines And Travel Concessions For Journalists?

Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:38 pm

As a journalist specialized in aviation I am not aware about this. I don't think we get cheaper tickets and it's certainly not the policy of my newspaper to get this. Our policy is to stay independent.

What i see sometimes is that airlines pay publicity space in the newspapers and magazines with free tickets: but this is just a commercial deal.

Sabena in the past had a reduction on the full fare but the ticket was not cheap at all. You could better go to a travel agency and buy there an APEX ticket or so or o promotional fare because a reduction on full fare is still more expensive.

Pressclub/Belgium

backfire

RE: Airlines And Travel Concessions For Journalists?

Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:47 am

I know some airlines which have been prepared to discount a ticket in order for an acknowledgement in any subsequent article, which is not unreasonable if the article is nothing to do with the airline itself and the airline is simply helping out with the travel arrangements.