bobcat

Selling Awards Now Allowed By Airlines? (on Ebay)

Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:02 am

Is the selling of frequent flyer awards now allowed by airlines? I was looking to bid on several vintage airline menus(from the 50s) and stumbled across 200+ frequent flyer awards for sell. Most are SW, NW, UA, and AA...

A couple of the sellers even had user ratings of more than 1000... most of the positive comments were from people who have bought from them....

Greg

RE: Selling Awards Now Allowed By Airlines? (on Ebay)

Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:17 am

Upgrade certificates are available on e-Bay.
Actual mileage awards are redeemed in the owner's name--so I'm not sure.

AC340

Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:51 am

I don't think you can sell award mileage. My mother tried to give my father Aeroplan miles once upon a time because he had higher status than she did, but Air Canada wouldn't let them. And that was a family transaction. I seriously doubt that airlines would you to make a profit from their sale.

goingboeing

Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:01 am

You can't selll RR tickets on e-bay, but most folks get by by "selling" the drink coupons, accompanied by the "free" ticket.

searpqx

Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:25 am

Under all the airlines' plans (and IRS rules as well, I think), you can't 'sell' awards, period. However many airlines allow the transfer of awards to another person, or allow the award to be redeemed in another person's name. So as long as the actual details of the transaction are kept away from the airline, there are ways to do it. Of course if the airline finds out about it, they have every right to refuse passage, confiscate the ticket, and require the purchase of a ticket on the spot. I've seen that happen more than once.

Duane
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"