Racers22
Topic Author

ATA Being Bought By Or Buying Another Airline

Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:02 am

In today's issue of the Indianapolis Star, ATA president George Mikelsons is quoted as saying:

"That's not to say that others aren't interested in acquiring ATA. While he won't elaborate, Mikelsons said he continues to receive offers to sell the airline -- or to buy other carriers, or strike some sort of strategic alliance."

What sort of airlines do you think would be interested in buying ATA, would ATA by interested in buying, or would ATA be interested in forming an alliance with? Here is a link to the whole article written up in the paper:

http://www.indystar.com/article.php?ata10.html,business

Fly_ATA

RE: ATA Being Bought By Or Buying Another Airline

Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:37 pm

I dont think george is ready to sell his creation just yet. I think if things stay bad in the undustry a sale might happen though. As far as buying anyone I do not see that happening either, You would be an idiot to spend money in this financial climate. Airlines are trying to stockpile cash to weather the storm.

srbmod

Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:50 am

It seems like every time ATA is mentioned concerning a merger or buyout, one airline that gets mentioned is AirTran; I think that the fact that ATA's parent company used to be known as Amtran got people thinking 'Amtran/AirTran', and once a snowball gets rolling down a hill, it keeps getting bigger. When I worked for AirTran, I heard the ATA rumors several times, and a few more times after I left. Right now, unless you've got the financial resources and backing to engage in such an undertaking, any mergers and buyouts in the airline industry has two chances or occurring, slim and none.

UAL-Fan

Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:15 am

I'm curious about something. With the exception of Southwest Airlines which I have read could but UAL AA and DAL if they wanted to, how can airlines that are loosing millions of $$ a day be talking about buying each other out, etc? Where do they get the money?

Look what US Air did to United and TWA did to AA. Why would an airline want to take something like this on? I'm just really curious how this all works.