Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Work Experience At Airport

Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:44 pm

For our school's work experience week next year, I want to work in an airport for the airport or for the airline.

What type of jobs are offered to people like me working for a mere week? how to apply? I dont mind being anything as long as working in the airport. Big grin

Thanks

delta fly boy

RE: Work Experience At Airport

Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:20 pm

I would think very hard with security....I tried to get an internship at an airport before I stared working for Delta.. and no dice.

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:35 pm

I have thought of that as well but in Penang, Malaysia i think security is not that tight and all... well i first need to know what jobs are offered and i will start sending requests to airport authority, then probably also ask from Malaysia Airlines (MAS), Air Asia, FedEx (work in their new terminal!!!!  Big thumbs up i want!!!), UPS, DHL, KLM, and LH cos i kno that these airlines (esp the cargo ones) hire a lot of people to work around the ramp.... mayb one of them are willing to let me 'work' ?  Sad

duff

Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:43 pm

You still need a security check to work airside and it is not a process that occurs instantly

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:03 pm

oh rite...thanks ...seems that there is only slimest of slim chance to work in an airport huh?  Sad  Crying

Ndebele

Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:45 pm

Duff is right, you need a security check to work airside. But hey, there are other interesting jobs in aviation that are not airside. The company I work for (a small ground handling company at STR) sometimes offers one-week practicals for pupils, and I know that e.g. the Stuttgart airport authority does so, too. It all depends on the time of year, they surely won't offer one-week practicals during the holidays when they expect many passengers and additional charter flights, but in autumn (when the staff has time to show those pupils around) chances are usually better. Typical jobs are at the check-in or at lost&found.

carnoc

Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:59 pm

Perhaps, you can try to contact the airport authory or some aviation organizations, but airlines are always refused to take students on for work experience.

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:41 pm

Thank you Carnoc and Ndebele. so i can somehow like contact a ground handling company and if i was offered a one-week job then i may have the chance to be allowed into the cargo terminal of the airport? I kno some ground handling companies that co-ordinate with Thai Cargo, Lufthansa Cargo, KLM Cargo, China Airlines Cargo, Korean Air Cargo and masKargo... Will I be allowed like to help carry the goods in the cargo terminal??

Ndebele

Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:07 pm

It depends on Penang airport's local law if you need a security check for entering the cargo terminal. If you don't need it, then one of the companies *might* give you a chance - at least they would be allowed to hire you, if they will is another question, don't be too disppointed if they don't. Chances are very little, so if I were you, I would not only apply for a practical in the cargo area (or is working in the "new terminal!!!!" the only reason for applying?!), I would also look for passenger airlines or other handling companies that might give you the chance of a practical. Chances might be little, but they exist.

fly_yhm

Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:26 pm

Despite what everyone has just told Im just finishing up that exact think here in Canada. I've been working with Westjet Airline for the last 4 months I had ful ramp access and Have tonnes and tonnes of pictures. It was very fun so I would suggest to you that you try.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:00 am

The reason of new terminal was unserious... i wouldnt mind really if it is IN the airport or not....what can i work as for pax airlines?